Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do When Full Timers Go To B/A, But You Need Full Time Money?
Atroya 11:36 AM 02-10-2011
I have two full time kids that will be entering Kindergarten next fall. I cannot afford to loose that money, but don't want to pick up more full timers, since I am at my limit of kids. I would also feel bad for kicking two of my B/A school kids out just so I can pick up two more full timers. What do people normally do? How do you go about telling someone...sorry, you need to find different daycare because I need to pick up more full timers. That sounds really crappy. Maybe I am too soft hearted.
Michael 11:37 AM 02-10-2011
Welcome to the forum!
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 02-10-2011
Where I am at, we are able to count the ones going into Kindergarden in the fall as school age kids 5 months before the first actual day of school..(I think it works out to be like May 1st)
So, those entering Kindy are schoolers on May 1st so then then we can have them in addition to our normal 10 under Kindy age.

In your case the two going into Kindy would be bumped (in May) and I could pick up two more full timers and have a total capacity of 12 instead of 10. Does that make sense?
DCMomOf3 11:43 AM 02-10-2011
Can you pick up some morning part timers or will that go over your numbers. I know some providers graduate the kids from care when the kids become school age. Just remember, it's your business and you need income to keep providing care. Sometimes that means doing the hard thing so you can stay open.

Welcome!
DCMom 11:56 AM 02-10-2011
My school-agers pay a flat weekly rate. It's more than the hourly B/A rate, but less than a full time rate. It starts the week they start school full-time; if the parent chooses to not to pay the weekly rate, then they are NOT guaranteed a spot on school-off days, vacation days and summer vacations. In the summer the rate does not go up to the full-time rate, it stays the same.

It's kind of meet in the middle strategy; I keep my spots filled without losing too much income.
SilverSabre25 01:57 PM 02-10-2011
Another option is to not off B/A care. Lots of people don't and I don't think that it would be too terrible of you to decide not to offer that kind of care.
My Lil' Monkeys 02:04 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Where I am at, we are able to count the ones going into Kindergarden in the fall as school age kids 5 months before the first actual day of school..(I think it works out to be like May 1st)
So, those entering Kindy are schoolers on May 1st so then then we can have them in addition to our normal 10 under Kindy age.

In your case the two going into Kindy would be bumped (in May) and I could pick up two more full timers and have a total capacity of 12 instead of 10. Does that make sense?
Are you group in Mi? I'm licensed for family - 6 and I'm only allowed 6 no matter what including my own children until they turn 7. So, is there an exception for Family in Mi or is that for group/center only? If for Family could you show me where you found that information as I would LOVE that for one of my dcf
Blackcat31 02:07 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by My Lil' Monkeys:
Are you group in Mi? I'm licensed for family - 6 and I'm only allowed 6 no matter what including my own children until they turn 7. So, is there an exception for Family in Mi or is that for group/center only? If for Family could you show me where you found that information as I would LOVE that for one of my dcf
Nope, I am in MN. Here are our regs though.... https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9502

I am licensed for Group Family Childcare-C3

Group means I can have up to 14 children with a second adult present but can have up to 12 alone as long as the age groups do not go outside the licensing capacities. My license reads like this: Two adult caregivers required for 14 children, maximum of 10 under school age, of which no more than 4 shall be infants/toddlers; of which no more than 3 shall be infants.

If I have 12 alone then I am reverting to operating under a C2 license. We can always go down but not up in licensing class. I am licensed for the largest capacity possible in MN.
DBug 05:15 PM 02-10-2011
I just had this conversation with a dcmom this morning. Dcg is starting school in the fall, and one of my other dc parents wants the spot for her baby. It's hard because dcg has a younger brother that will still be here, even though I won't have room for her in the summer or on non-school days. I didn't want to even have to go there, but truth be told, I need the income of a full-timer, not just b&a. And dc mom understood, which was nice and made it alot easier. I did suggest that there may be a young teenager around that would be willing to watch dcg on off days, and I've already given her the names of a few, so hopefully that will work out.

Not much help here , but just wanted to say that you need to look out for your family first. If you need the f/t income, just be honest with your b&a parents and tell them. Good luck!
Abigail 05:33 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Atroya:
I have two full time kids that will be entering Kindergarten next fall. I cannot afford to loose that money, but don't want to pick up more full timers, since I am at my limit of kids. I would also feel bad for kicking two of my B/A school kids out just so I can pick up two more full timers. What do people normally do? How do you go about telling someone...sorry, you need to find different daycare because I need to pick up more full timers. That sounds really crappy. Maybe I am too soft hearted.
What ages do you accept? Are you licensed or do you only have a few children under your care? I have not opened a daycare yet, but I don't plan to take school-age children until A. my own future children are school-age and/or B. They have a younger sibling full time in my care. It's just easier for me I think because of summer vacation and winter break and school shut-down days. Lots of stuff happens here weather wise too....it's a lot to deal with. What do you have in your policies/contract right now about rates and hours for school-age?
snowball 07:27 PM 02-10-2011
Where I am Kindergarten is only a half day, so I still charge a full time rate.
Atroya 10:56 AM 02-15-2011
Thank you for all of your replies and welcomes! I have an 8 yr old dck, a 6 yr old dck, 4 yr old twins dck, and a 7 month old dck. I also have my own 10 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter. The twins may or may not be entering Kindergarten in the fall(they are developmentally behind, so will probably be in AK) I am not registered, so am only allowed 5 dck. My two do not count since they are school aged, but from what I have been able to find, the SA dck do count, so I am at my limit. I am considering whether to get rid of the 8 yr old(he is a little out of control at times, and likes to tease the younger kids, but other times he is very helpful and polite) or to get rid of the twins themselves, since because of their developmental( I am no expert, but I think they both have mild autistic tendencies)issues, sometimes they can be difficult to deal with.

I just started doing daycare at the end of July. I never intended to have SA kids at my daycare, but when I started I had no choice just to get some income. I am leaning toward getting rid of the 8 yr old. To those of you who are old enough..he reminds me of a Eddie Haskal. I am not sure I can trust him. He particularly likes to get under the skin of my son. He does it in a jokingly teasing way, but it really upsets my son sometimes. On the other hand, the twins both have different behavioral issues, and the summer is going to be a nightmare when lunchtime comes every day...neither will eat a decent variety of food, and most of the time what I feed them goes to waste. The worst part is both sets of parents are really nice, have always paid on time, have never complained about anything.
Zoe 11:09 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by Atroya:
To those of you who are old enough..he reminds me of a Eddie Haskal. I am not sure I can trust him.
I'm sorry, but I really had to laugh at that. He sounds like a challenge, to say the least.

If you really are that stressed about it, then it's not worth it. I understand completely about your hesitation because of the awesome parents you have, but it's not worth the stress. If the parents are really that great, they'll understand that school age is just not the right fit for your daycare anymore. Maybe you could talk to them honestly, and have the number for the before/after school daycare that's at the school he goes to as an option for them to check out.
Tags:after school, before school, kindergarten
Reply Up