Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whew!
Crystal 04:53 PM 07-08-2011
This has been a VERY busy week. I have two openings coming up as two of my kids have aged out. I had five interviews this week, all referrals, and they all want the spaces Now, I have to decide who gets em'! The others will go on waitlist, as I have a couple of others moving on in the fall, but I also have a current client who is pregnant. It is so hard to decide who to enroll now though.....I liked them all! Great parents, great babies, and I feel bad having to say no to any of them. How I wish I could expand!

What are some deciding factors for you guys when enrolling? What points are most important to you? Hours? Parents? Child? Anything else?

I forgot how draining interviewing can be. It has been three years since I have had openings!
momofboys 05:30 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
This has been a VERY busy week. I have two openings coming up as two of my kids have aged out. I had five interviews this week, all referrals, and they all want the spaces Now, I have to decide who gets em'! The others will go on waitlist, as I have a couple of others moving on in the fall, but I also have a current client who is pregnant. It is so hard to decide who to enroll now though.....I liked them all! Great parents, great babies, and I feel bad having to say no to any of them. How I wish I could expand!

What are some deciding factors for you guys when enrolling? What points are most important to you? Hours? Parents? Child? Anything else?

I forgot how draining interviewing can be. It has been three years since I have had openings!
IMO the HOURS is the most important factor! You can love a child a lot & like the parents too but if the hours wear you out it's all in vain!
PitterPatter 06:43 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
IMO the HOURS is the most important factor! You can love a child a lot & like the parents too but if the hours wear you out it's all in vain!
I 2nd that opinion!!

I recently let go of a 10 -11 hrs a day/ 5 days a week dck. I swear to u I felt relief the very 1st week he was gone!! It meant 2 1/2 hrs dif in closing time and boy does it feel good! I also feel bad for the kids that are away from Mommy for so long. They too suffer and show signs with being cranky or worse. I kinda miss him but don't miss the attitude I got. So by all means take into account the time a child is in care.
TBird 07:39 PM 07-08-2011
I'm gonna say the hours and the parents.

I've always been able to teach the kids to adapt to me and my program so they are no problem. It's usually the PARENTS who need to be good...all of my parents (save one who's leaving the country in 3 weeks anyway) are wonderful and give me no trouble at all. An annoying, fickle parent can turn a 5 minute drop-off into a full day of heartburn!!!
cheerfuldom 07:48 PM 07-08-2011
Do you have a trial period in case one of your picks does not work out? Besides that, I would go with the parents that you like the most. Its a toss up with the kids and most of them can adjust, the parents rarely ever change, at least not without a fight. I would also go personally take an infant and it seems easier when they are with you from day one. If you have all older kids interviewing, dig into the past daycare experiences. Make sure you weed out daycare hoppers or those that have just gone through all the relatives and reluctantly paying for full time care now.
Cat Herder 07:57 PM 07-08-2011
I saw your ad on netgiant. It was a really good one.

Is that a good site for getting full-time clients?

I kept getting calls for part timers or split shifts only the last time I advertised online.

I know many folks here are putting up ads everywhere and are not getting calls...
Crystal 09:58 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I saw your ad on netgiant. It was a really good one.

Is that a good site for getting full-time clients?

I kept getting calls for part timers or split shifts only the last time I advertised online.

I know many folks here are putting up ads everywhere and are not getting calls...
What is netgiant? I don't have an ad there. The only place I'm even listed is on daycare.com and then some random crap that I never authorized or signed up for. Can you give me a link?

All of my interviews were referred to me by current and former clients and one of my professors.
Cat Herder 07:09 AM 07-09-2011
It was Inetgiant. And you are right, it was June 2010, not this year.

I posted the link, but it said it had to be moderated...
Crystal 11:21 AM 07-09-2011
wow....that is WIERD....thanks for the PM back by the way.

I read it, and it is a post a placed on Craigslist when a family was moving out of state....and then they didn't move and I removed the ad.....how the heck did it get on that site????? Creepy!
nannyde 12:28 PM 07-09-2011
First, it's time to raise rates. If the market in your area can support that kind of response to two openings then you know it's time to raise incoming kids rates. Make sure your contracted notice is at least one month and secure your paid days off with zero paid time off for them. It's a good time to strike.

All things being equal

My choice would be:

as young as possible baby
short of hours for the most money: NO eleven hour days or long transport and lunches.
early departure with parents who have the most awake hours per day with kid
BOTH parents being capable of caring for the kid
most stable job and longevity in job of parents
lowest liklihood of hour changes or schedule changes
singlets not sib group
age of parents at least in mid twenties
private pay
Crystal 11:05 AM 07-10-2011
Hours are certainly being considered.....I have one infant (9weeks) that would alternate 2days one week and 3 days the following. Mom is a nurse. Would still be full time rate. And, I LOVE both parents and infant....he's as sweet as can be. I am meeting with them tomorrow to handle paper work and deposits.

And, I liked all of the parents and children, so that parts tough.
Crystal 11:11 AM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
First, it's time to raise rates. If the market in your area can support that kind of response to two openings then you know it's time to raise incoming kids rates. Make sure your contracted notice is at least one month and secure your paid days off with zero paid time off for them. It's a good time to strike.

Done. I raised them by $10 per week. Honestly though, the market here for prov iders sucks.....many providers are advertising daily on craigslist. Contracted notice has always been a month, so I am good there. Same with my paid days off and their's as well, always has been
All things being equal

My choice would be:

as young as possible baby there is a 9 week, a 2 month old, and a 4 month old. the others are 2 years old, but one comes with an infant.
short of hours for the most money: NO eleven hour days or long transport and lunches. yep, they are all 8-9 hour days and work very close to me
early departure with parents who have the most awake hours per day with kid
BOTH parents being capable of caring for the kid very loving, attentive parents. 2 of them, for the first interview, Dad brought them and interviewed with us first, because Mom was working!
most stable job and longevity in job of parents this I don't know and have never considered asking.
lowest liklihood of hour changes or schedule changes
singlets not sib group that's what I was thinking too
age of parents at least in mid twenties all but one
private payall are
Thanks for all of the replies ladies. I think I have decided to def. go with the 9 week old (for sure) and the 4 month old. The others I can waitlist if they are interested.
Tags:filling spots
Reply Up