Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Now I'm Afraid To Fill My Last Spot!
Mary Poppins 02:25 PM 04-02-2012
I'm debating whether or not to even bother filling my last spot. It has been a rough few months as a new dc provider, which I'm sure is normal. I feel like I've been put through the ringer after having to deal with and term some really lousy dcp's and horribly behaved dck's.

But, I sucked it up, took in all the advice offered here, grew a backbone, learned the art of the interview, and for the first time since opening last year I finally have the group dynamic I've been striving for!

The kids are well behaved and get along so well. The parents I have are all unbelievably respectful and actually want to be with their kids (and it shows!). I'm even getting gifts and random thank you's for the first time! I was told flat out to raise my rates by two dcm's, which I did (for new families only of course).

The dc gods are smiling on me I guess.

I have one spot to fill and I'm honestly scared to bring in a new dcf and ruin a good thing. Has anyone else BTDT? Seriously, should I just stop advertising and enjoy what I have?
Heidi 04:32 PM 04-02-2012
I think you can advertise, and then be really picky about who you choose. If no one matches well, leave the spot open. If someone does, stick the $ away for a rainy day, a vacation, or something special for the daycare.
MizzCheryl 05:26 PM 04-02-2012
If you can afford to .... Be Picky about who take.
You are on a roll. Maybe you will find someone perfect.
I felt the same way about 2 years ago. I had such a bad series of DCF I was about to quit. I had to term 2 within just a few months. One family left me so many obscene calls after I termed them that I was afraid for a while. ALOT happened with them and they were very ugly. I had to contact the police. I still get the finger if I ever see them out. And they live about 3 miles from me.
It can be rough.
But finally I have great parents and kids. And life is soo much better.
Mary Poppins 06:41 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I felt the same way about 2 years ago. I had such a bad series of DCF I was about to quit. I had to term 2 within just a few months. One family left me so many obscene calls after I termed them that I was afraid for a while. ALOT happened with them and they were very ugly. I had to contact the police. I still get the finger if I ever see them out. And they live about 3 miles from me.
It can be rough.
Ugh! I have a similar story (I will pm you with the details).

I'm glad you understand and I wonder how many providers have similar stories or have felt threatened by a dcf??

It was something I was totally unprepared for but for the moment it feels worth it. Not financially of course lol but I do love this group of kids I have.

They are worth it!
Tags:filling spots
Reply Up