Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping
cara041083 10:19 AM 11-11-2013
OK so I am looking for advise on napping. Here's the deal. I had one of my old families in a bind, and asked if I could watch there kid until I have my baby even though I am closed til Jan. I said yes because they are willing to work with me on me taking time off and stuff and lets face it its extra spending money for Christmas . Anyhoo, They know I have a very strict policy that nap time is 11:30 to 2:00 no exceptions. They also know that I WILL not hold, rock, or cuddle there child to get them to go to sleep. This is an old family so this isn't new for them. However, in the 4 months that DCK has been at home with mom, they let her sleep where she falls (living room floor, bed room floor, couch and ect) and she only sleeps for about 15 min and is then up and ready to go and this goes on all day. My question is, what is the best way to get her back on the nap schedule. She does nap in a play pin (shes 11 months old) but she just isn't sleeping. I don't want to just let her cry, but I also want to get her back on track. Her parents are on board with me getting her their and are going to help me, but at this age, I just want to make sure its done right. Most of the kids I have sleep trained are older and my own which started at birth. TIA!
Blackcat31 10:43 AM 11-11-2013
Personally, I think the best way to get kids on track with a routine and schedule is just do it.

Go about your daily routine. When it is nap time, lay her down. Don't allow her to get up until nap time is over...whether she napped or not.

Don't make a big fuss about it, don't try to gently ease her into it, just do it.

Continue doing it at the same exact time in the same exact way every day.

If parents are willing to work with you, have them do the same.

Rinse and repeat.

The less of a deal you make about it lets DCG know you aren't open for negotiation and that it is what it is and it IS nap time.

If you are firm and consistent, I am guessing she will be back on track in no time.
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 11-11-2013
Also... I moved your thread out of the new providers intro section to the providers main posting area.

Just in case you can't find it.
cara041083 11:03 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally, I think the best way to get kids on track with a routine and schedule is just do it.

Go about your daily routine. When it is nap time, lay her down. Don't allow her to get up until nap time is over...whether she napped or not.

Don't make a big fuss about it, don't try to gently ease her into it, just do it.

Rinse and repeat.

The less of a deal you make about it lets DCG know you aren't open for negotiation and that it is what it is and it IS nap time.

If you are firm and consistent, I am guessing she will be back on track in no time.
Thanks for moving it I didn't even notice. This was my idea also I just want to make sure I wasn't being to "mean" lol. Thanks! BTW I love this website. Everyone is so helpful and I always feel like I have a place to turn when I need guidance!
blandino 11:27 AM 11-11-2013
I would 100% agree with Blackcat. Just start the schedule and she will adjust. It's going to be rough at first no matter what, so why not just dive into it and go full force. IMHO doing it slowly, only makes for a number of readjustments down the line. If you just start the child on the schedule, there will be a hard adjustment period at first, but then you are done.
misslori50 02:42 PM 11-13-2013

Rinse and repeat.

completely agree
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by cara041083:
OK so I am looking for advise on napping. Here's the deal. I had one of my old families in a bind, and asked if I could watch there kid until I have my baby even though I am closed til Jan. I said yes because they are willing to work with me on me taking time off and stuff and lets face it its extra spending money for Christmas . Anyhoo, They know I have a very strict policy that nap time is 11:30 to 2:00 no exceptions. They also know that I WILL not hold, rock, or cuddle there child to get them to go to sleep. This is an old family so this isn't new for them. However, in the 4 months that DCK has been at home with mom, they let her sleep where she falls (living room floor, bed room floor, couch and ect) and she only sleeps for about 15 min and is then up and ready to go and this goes on all day. My question is, what is the best way to get her back on the nap schedule. She does nap in a play pin (shes 11 months old) but she just isn't sleeping. I don't want to just let her cry, but I also want to get her back on track. Her parents are on board with me getting her their and are going to help me, but at this age, I just want to make sure its done right. Most of the kids I have sleep trained are older and my own which started at birth. TIA!
So how's it going?

Any progress towards better napping?
Maria2013 03:28 PM 11-13-2013

Rinse and repeat.

hopefully parents really do the same not just say they will
Reply Up