Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Boy Who Doesn't Eat
MissAnn 10:54 AM 03-29-2011
OK...he eats SOME...but not much. I know he came from a program that eats a lot of chicken nuggets. I have never served chicken nuggets. I serve chicken breast made in different ways, ham, pinto beans, brown rice, whole wheat bread....things like that. Most of the kids catch on to the meals and look forward to them. This boy has been with me a few weeks and basically drinks his milk and eats a little of the fruit. I know mom is a little concerned and I'm afraid she will want to start bringing his lunch. I do not want kids to bring their lunches. I feel that if you keep offering, they will eventually start eating. Letting them bring their "favorites" doesn't encourage trying new (and nutritious) foods. Do any of you have in your policies about food......that they can't bring their own?
dEHmom 10:56 AM 03-29-2011
I make lunch, regardless if lunch was sent. Kids usually have both mine and the one brought from home.
krystamichelle 12:10 PM 03-29-2011
That's a battle that I tell the parents in advance that I won't pick. I offer healthy lunches, but I don't make them eat them if they don't want. I keep a variety of healthy snacks available, and if they're hungry, they can choose from those, ONLY. If they bring something from home, they can have it at the appropriate snack or meal time unless it's healthy. I also don't try to tell the parents what they can and can't feed their own children. I am home based if that makes a difference.
grandmom 12:59 PM 03-29-2011
I have one like that. He's been here for 4 years. He's the only overweight child I have. He won't eat FAT GRAPES. Obviously, he gets lots of food at home.

Don't make it a conversation with the parent. Talk about how the day went, without food. Do you tell mom that he didn't play in the block area again today? or that he refused to hold the baby doll? The more we make it an issue, the more it becomes an issue.

Serve the food, let him choose. He won't starve.
happykidschildcare 01:51 PM 03-29-2011
Its hard when they refuse to eat, I try to get them to at the very least try everything on their plates before letting them down. Incentives like you get to play a special game or go outside when your finished usually works for me.
But if that doesnt work I figure they arent gonna go hungry, they will have to wait til the next meal like everyone else. *shrugs* I pick my battles and this is one I try my best, but I dont always win.
I do have rules at the table for eaters like this...
1. you do not say this is gross or I hate this etc... its sets a tone for everyone at the table.
2. the ones that arent eating everything will be the last at the table, not only to give them a chance to finish, but also so the other kids dont see that so in so didnt finish * why should I?*
good luck!!!
MissAnn 02:34 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I have one like that. He's been here for 4 years. He's the only overweight child I have. He won't eat FAT GRAPES. Obviously, he gets lots of food at home.

Don't make it a conversation with the parent. Talk about how the day went, without food. Do you tell mom that he didn't play in the block area again today? or that he refused to hold the baby doll? The more we make it an issue, the more it becomes an issue.

Serve the food, let him choose. He won't starve.
Oh no....I am not talking to the parents.....I'm like you.....the more we make it an issue the more it becomes one. I just hope they don't bring it up because I am not about to have one kid bring his own food....one more thing I'd have to police. no way!
MissAnn 02:38 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
Its hard when they refuse to eat, I try to get them to at the very least try everything on their plates before letting them down. Incentives like you get to play a special game or go outside when your finished usually works for me.
But if that doesnt work I figure they arent gonna go hungry, they will have to wait til the next meal like everyone else. *shrugs* I pick my battles and this is one I try my best, but I dont always win.
I do have rules at the table for eaters like this...
1. you do not say this is gross or I hate this etc... its sets a tone for everyone at the table.
2. the ones that arent eating everything will be the last at the table, not only to give them a chance to finish, but also so the other kids dont see that so in so didnt finish * why should I?*
good luck!!!
I really don't do any incentives. I just put the food in front of them and if they eat...they eat. If they don't, they don't. I have found this works well for me. To me incentives make the whole food issue a "bigger deal" than it needs to be. I've had a lot of picky eaters and all of them have gotten better (some more than others)......but I'm still waiting on this one. I'm just praying that in the meantime the parents don't ask to bring in food.
cheerfuldom 02:57 PM 03-29-2011
I'm with you all. I offer a very small amount so they aren't wasting. If they don't eat, they don't eat. I don't bend the rules for anyone and no one gets further options. Right now everyone brings a sack lunch and I provide snacks. Down the road, I will do all meals once they all get above a certain age.
SilverSabre25 03:07 PM 03-29-2011
I have a 23 month old who barely eats OR drinks while he's in my care. He's been here since summer and his diet hasn't improved much even with exposure.

I usually tell his mom when he eats well and I don't mention it when he doesn't eat much. He's growing just fine and developing just fine so I assume he eats when he's at home...he just doesn't like the healthy stuff I serve.

The worst part of this kid is that he'll sometimes chipmunk cheek what he's eating and hold it in his mouth until he's drooling saliva and partially masticated food...so gross. The only thing I can do at that point is hold him over a sink and squeeze his cheeks to make him spit it out.
Unregistered 04:00 PM 03-29-2011
My lunch time is 20 min. They have to stay in their seats for that amount of time. If they are hungry they eat. I think as long as they take a cpl bites it's fine. I wouldn't worry about it. I have 1 that will take 1 bite and be done, she still has to sit and most times she ends up eating more. It becomes more of a social time than what is actually on their plates.
Hunni Bee 07:27 PM 03-29-2011
I allow the kids to serve themselves (with me and my assistant hovering over them like a raincloud). That way, they only put on the plate what they want and how much. This has really really improved their appetites and the rates of finishing lunch. I'm actually worried about them eating too much They put heaping spoonfuls on the plate and then want seconds and thirds!

Only drawback is that it makes lunch really long...but we no longer have entire lunches going in the trash uneaten.
Candyland 07:37 PM 03-29-2011
does he look sickly? is he losing weight? If he's doing ok; I wouldn't worry too much - though, I would definitely want to have a kid who eats.
texascare 05:36 AM 03-30-2011
I always offer my children a "no thank you bite". I put it on their plate and tell them they need to try it. Usually they see everyone else eating it and I praise them and make a big deal out of it so they are more inclined to try it. I do not allow food to be brought into my home.
Meeko 12:35 PM 03-30-2011
I tell them that the food program doesn't allow food from home and nor do I and that all the kids have to be served the same food. End of story.
Tags:won't eat
Reply Up