Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Abuse Misdemeanor
Kaychrisalex 09:04 PM 01-26-2017
So, I found out someone is working at my sons childcare. She's been there awhile about 7 months. I also know she has a conviction from a while back of child abuse. They just told her to do her fingerprints to cbi. Are they going to finally fire her once they know the truth about her past?
Michael 12:16 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by Kaychrisalex:
So, I found out someone is working at my sons childcare. She's been there awhile about 7 months. I also know she has a conviction from a while back of child abuse. They just told her to do her fingerprints to cbi. Are they going to finally fire her once they know the truth about her past?
Usually its a felony that would prevent someone from being employed in childcare but a misdemeanor for child abuse would be a problem in most states. It may be handled on a case by case basis. What state is this in reference to?

Here is a thread that has a lot of information: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149

Your IP shows that you are in Colorado. Here are your state's licensing standards from page 12: https://www.daycare.com/colorado/general.pdf

7. A child care facility shall not employ, or a child placement agency shall not employ or
certify, an individual who has been convicted of:

a. Child abuse, as specified in Section 18-6-401, C.R.S.
Kaychrisalex 04:55 AM 01-27-2017
It's in Colorado. I'm not saying she's a bad worker but once anyone finds out it's just going to look bad all around for everyone.
Poptarts22 05:50 AM 01-27-2017
Have you spoke to the head of the daycare and expressed your concerns? Do you know this, in fact, is true? Your post just comes across...I don't know how to say it...
Unregistered 06:25 AM 01-27-2017
I have not I know the family. And was told but they said it happened like 9 years ago. So I didn't know the rules on the background check laws and what not. I was just asking if anyone knew if there was some kind of time limit for these sort of things
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have not I know the family. And was told but they said it happened like 9 years ago. So I didn't know the rules on the background check laws and what not. I was just asking if anyone knew if there was some kind of time limit for these sort of things
Yes and no.

It depends on the level of the offense, the consequence and whether or not the person fulfilled his/her requirements.

If so then they may be cleared to work in child care.
They may have limitations such as not being able to ever be left alone with children or they may have no limitations.

It really honestly depends on each specific situation.
I do agree with previous poster though it does sound like you WANT this person to be fired. Even though they are a "good worker" so that is kind of confusing...

If you have a serious concern about a worker/staff person at your child care you DO have a choice.... don't send your child if you are concerned.

You can also report your concern to the director or the state but again it seems more productive and a lot easier to manage you than it is manage others.
Unregistered 06:37 AM 01-27-2017
Yes, I'm very confused too that's why I'm here. Thanks for clearing some things up. I don't think I'll report anything after all nobody is perfect. She does have 2 young children who also attend the childcare she seems like a great mom. So just leave it as it is.
Unregistered 06:42 AM 01-27-2017
Where are you getting your information? That it may just depend on the situation? Just curious because I thought childcare facilities were pretty strict on FBI and background checks
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Where are you getting your information? That it may just depend on the situation? Just curious because I thought childcare facilities were pretty strict on FBI and background checks
Define "child abuse"

Child cares ARE strict about background checks (FBI checks? ...my state doesn't go that far....) but background checks yes!... but again, define child abuse.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 01-27-2017
Abuse as labeled by the state can mean neglect or maltreatment. Neither of which are acceptable but aren't at all the same as "abuse" in the same context most of us automatically think of when we hear the word abuse.

Also when looking at the demographics of perpetrators by relationship to their victim, 80.3 percent of perpetrators were parents, 6.1 percent were relatives other than parents, and 4.2 percent were unmarried partners of parents.

"Perpetrators with other relationships accounted for 4.6 percent, and those with an unknown relationship to their victim accounted for 3.1 percent. According to comments provided by the States, the “other” perpetrator relationship may include a sibling, the victim’s boyfriend or girlfriend, a stranger, or a babysitter.*

Of the perpetrators who were parents, 88.5 percent were biological parents, 3.9 percent were step-parents, and 0.7 percent were adoptive parents.* The remaining 7 percent were of unknown parental relationship."

If this worker has custody of her own children without supervision etc, then her "crime" may not have been serious or serious enough to bar her from working in child care.

Misdemeanor charges vary greatly from felony charges and many situations that don't seem to fit the definition of abuse are classified as abuse simply because it falls under the umbrella but isn't exactly textbook abuse most of us think of when referring to this topic.

For example I know of a parent in my state that was charged with child abuse or maltreatment of a child.
Her "crime"?
She locked the door when she went to work and her child didnt have a key so he sat outside in the cold temps waiting for her to come home from work. He sat for 2 hours. A neighbor saw him sitting and reported it.
The whole situation was just a serious of unfortunate events that snowballed but according to the law, it was child abuse. See what I am saying?

There are so many different levels and different definitions that it is impossible for any of us to give you advice or concrete answers. The only way you are going to know the whole situation is to share your concerns with the Director and find out why she is allowed to be there or if she was ever barred from working in child care in the first place.
Unregistered 07:05 AM 01-27-2017
I believe it was just a drinking insedent. i believe they told me she drank while in the care of her baby. Obviously it was 8+ years ago. The child wasn't harmed just a harmful situation.
Unregistered 08:02 AM 01-27-2017
I believe the family told me she had drank alcohol while in the care of baby. The baby wasn't hurt just a harmful environment. They said it was just a misdemeanor.
mommiebookworm 09:22 AM 01-27-2017
As a mother, I would trust my instincts. If your instincts are saying not to take your child there. Then I wouldn't.
Tags:background checks, felony, misdemeanor
Reply Up