Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Formula Canisters
MommyMuffin 05:36 AM 06-23-2011
I buy the tall value sized formula for the infants in my care. They are such a nice container I hate to throw them away each time.

Has anyone found a use for them for anything? Toys? Crafts?
dEHmom 05:47 AM 06-23-2011
crayon container
little toys like blocks, farm animals etc
craft supplies (to decorate for flower pots or something else)
drums

smaller containers like old mayo jars, pb jars and jam jars are good for holding little things like screws, nails, etc if you have those laying around the house and want to store them
Unregistered 05:56 AM 06-23-2011
Yep. I used to use them all the time. I covered them with plain white contact (sticky) paper, and picture and word labeled them. Then used them as storage containers for toys. I filled them with crayons, markers, craft supplies, legos, blocks, little people.
Anything that would fit inside.
wdmmom 06:14 AM 06-23-2011
I use the small formula containers for grease. If I fry hamburger and it needs drained, I just pour it in there. Way better to let it harden and toss it than for it to go down the pipes.
Pammie 06:31 AM 06-23-2011
They're great for storing craft materials and toys - I do as PP suggested and cover them with plain contact paper and label contents.

I've also used them for Valentine mailboxes for our Valentine's Party
DCMom 06:37 AM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I've also used them for Valentine mailboxes for our Valentine's Party
Great idea! I have a shelf full of the darn things I just can bring myself to throw away.

We have used them at Christmas time; decorated with wrapping paper, etc and put home made treats in them for dc families, friends, whomever you like!
Cat Herder 06:37 AM 06-23-2011
I have used them in the shed for nails, screws, nuts, bolts, washers, drill bits and bit sockets of every size both known and unknow to man.
Meeko 08:06 AM 06-23-2011
Our storage room (actually our whole house!) is full of them! I cover them in contact paper and label them. Screws, nails, screwdrivers, paint brushes, batteries, ....you name it........

I also use them for crafts with the kids. We have attached pipe cleaner handles and made Easter baskets.

I use them for gifts at Christmas. This past Christmas I covered some in Christmas paper and filled them with homemade playdo and a few cookie cutters from the dollar store. It was cheap...but the kids loved it!

I have formula can pen holders, formula can craft supplies holders, formula can marker and crayon holders.......well you get the idea!
melissa ann 09:53 AM 06-23-2011
For the round contianers: I punch a hole near the top and one straight across from it. I get twine or heavy yarn knot it in the holes. I give the kids popsicle sticks and they put the twine over their hands, and they have drums they can carry. When they are done, the sticks go inside the container.
jojosmommy 10:20 AM 06-23-2011
Make a drop lid game out of them. You need a number of juice lids (the kind from frozen juice, that you pull the plastic ring off and are left with a metal circle with no sharp edges). Cut a small slit in the formula lid cover (big enough to drop lids in) and put contact paper on the outside of the can. My kids love these and when they mouth the juice lids you can easily wash them and they are non-chokeable.

Our ECFE makes these in just about every baby class!

You can sharpie numbers or letters on them also and let older kids play matching games. Our kids even use the lids to make "cookies" out of in the kitchen area.
MommyMuffin 11:57 AM 06-23-2011
Wow awesome ideas ladies!! I wont be throwing any more canisters away now!
AmandasFCC 12:05 PM 06-23-2011
I use containers like that for storage .... I don't use formula cans but I do use coffee cans Right now I can see some storing pipe cleaners, crayons, craft pompoms, extra Valentines, etc. I may use some more to make quiet boxes for my older kids during nap time.
dEHmom 04:40 AM 06-24-2011
it's amazing how everyone here looks at a formula can and comes up with something different!

Great suggestions ladies!

We should try toilet paper rolls next, as that's something I throw away daily! I had a bunch stored up, but when our basement flooded I lost them all.
DCMom 05:20 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
We should try toilet paper rolls next, as that's something I throw away daily! I had a bunch stored up, but when our basement flooded I lost them all.
LOL, it was rainy and cool here yesterday and my school age girls spent the day making bracelets, necklaces and puppets out of toilet paper rolls and the drawer full of extra craft supplies.
dEHmom 05:32 AM 06-24-2011
yeah all my craft supplies were in containers/bins downstairs. The water was so high it lifted even the 50 lb bins and they were floating and tipped over and so i had to chuck them. I just realized yesterday that stuff i thought didn't get wet did

So I have to get all new craft stuff.
jojosmommy 10:54 AM 06-24-2011
My kids love to make binoculars out of tp rolls. Staple two together in the middle, let the kids color them or put stickers on them, then take them outside for bird watching, I spy, etc. when the ruin them or lose them toss them in recycling.
Abigail 08:33 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Make a drop lid game out of them. You need a number of juice lids (the kind from frozen juice, that you pull the plastic ring off and are left with a metal circle with no sharp edges). Cut a small slit in the formula lid cover (big enough to drop lids in) and put contact paper on the outside of the can. My kids love these and when they mouth the juice lids you can easily wash them and they are non-chokeable.

Our ECFE makes these in just about every baby class!

You can sharpie numbers or letters on them also and let older kids play matching games. Our kids even use the lids to make "cookies" out of in the kitchen area.
How do you exactly play the game? I've started collecting my juice lids because I only open one-two juices a month so it takes awhile! I was going to use them with stickers to make a matching game and/or write numbers 1 and ONE or "A" and "a" so I've got many reasons to collect them. LOL, I just realized I should make a craigslist post asking for people to save these for me because it will take a long time!

We should make a list of "Around the House" projects which are all recycling materials, but with a few craft supplies could be art. I just googled toilet paper roll craft under images and saw how someone made a train out of toilet paper roll sections (cut in half I think) under tissue boxes to make the train. Very neat
Tags:creativity, formula, recycle, reuse
Reply Up