Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do When.....
marniewon 10:44 AM 12-06-2010
A family is gone on payday? As in, they had planned to be here, but their child was sick, so they don't come? Do you expect them to bring a check anyway? Charge a late fee if they drop off on the next day they come? Or just don't worry about it?

Today is payday. One of my families didn't come today. They live in another town, but both parents work in my town. I know mom was going to work today, dad was staying home with sick kids. But, she works across town from me. Should I expect that she brings me a check today anyway? Charge a late fee if she brings it tomorrow or just forget it and take the check tomorrow?

I've already decided to move payday to the Friday before care, but I could have the same problem then, so I just wanted to see what everyone else does.
SunflowerMama 11:05 AM 12-06-2010
My families luckily all either live or work within 3 miles of my house so if their child isn't here on payday they just swing the check by sometime during that day. If they are going out of town they just pay before they leave.
misol 11:06 AM 12-06-2010
IMO, if this is the first time it has happened, I would let it slide for a sick child. It was something they didn't anticipate so couldn't plan for. If their kid is out on payday for any other reason I would charge late fees because they should have paid the day before if they were going to be out.
If the same child happens to ever be sick on a payday again I would ask Mom before she hangs up whether they will be dropping the payment off before or after work. If she says neither let her know that late fees will accrue until payment is received.
broncomom1973 11:16 AM 12-06-2010
The last time this happened to me, I was really needing to be payed that day and I told dcb mom that I would pick it up at their house after dd's girl scout meeting. I didnt want to sound desperate, but I needed to go to the store and needed to have that money.
marniewon 11:25 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
The last time this happened to me, I was really needing to be payed that day and I told dcb mom that I would pick it up at their house after dd's girl scout meeting. I didnt want to sound desperate, but I needed to go to the store and needed to have that money.
That's kind of where I am right now - I NEED to get that money in the bank, but I can't go pick it up, they live in a different town. I feel like it's kind of late now to call her and expect her to drop it off to me (she's works about 15 min from my house).

They have always paid (well, they forgot once, I think, and she brought it at pickup) so normally I wouldn't be at all concerned with her just waiting until tomorrow, but like I said, I really need that money in the bank today
Crystal 12:09 PM 12-06-2010
I just tell them when they call to say they won't be here to bring a check the next day they attend. They always offer to drop one off, but I'd prefer they stay in with their child than come pay me.
busymomof2 02:29 PM 12-06-2010
I don't expect the parents to come by and pay when their child is ill. I had one child out for a whole week and so I didn't get paid . Mom just paid for both weeks when she came back with the child. I think most parents wouldn't go by and pay unless they were in your neighborhood. Maybe when you revise your contract next time you should state that you need to get paid on pay day even if your child is out. However, if you need the money today and you know she went to work and it can't hurt to call and ask if she was planning on coming by to pay. You can say something like "I was just asking because I was planning on going to the bank this evening and don't want to make more than one trip this week".
Tags:late payment, payment, payment problems
Reply Up