Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dcg Who Chews On EVERYTHING
E Daycare 06:39 AM 01-06-2011
The dcg I watch who was born a preemie will be one in two weeks. She has this horrible habit of chewing on everything. When I mean everything I mean my walls, the rugs, diapers or anything else she can get her hands on. I have removed pretty much anything that she can get her hands on but she will insist on finding other things. Today its been the legs of the chairs and the long blinds. I give her the tons of chew toys I have here including frozen, wooden, plastic, cloth, frozen wash cloths, biter biscuits, crackers special teething toys I got online ect... I remove her from the walls and she darts back. I feed her thinking shes hungry and she will fight that so I put her down and shes like "hey the side of the tent looks AWESOME". I dont know what to do anymore. Telling her NO! and giving her something else to distract her proves hopeless.

Has anyone else delt with a child who chews on everything but what is ok? I never went thru this with my son and even he is teething now but he chews his lovey. At the rate shes going we are going to be on a TLC show for people who eat chalk and toilet paper. I talk to her mom and she says shes teething which Im fully aware of but holy cow. Its really crazy as Ive never seen a kid like this. Maybe its a developmental problem too?
Little People 06:45 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Erin's Daycare:
The dcg I watch who was born a preemie will be one in two weeks. She has this horrible habit of chewing on everything. When I mean everything I mean my walls, the rugs, diapers or anything else she can get her hands on. I have removed pretty much anything that she can get her hands on but she will insist on finding other things. Today its been the legs of the chairs and the long blinds. I give her the tons of chew toys I have here including frozen, wooden, plastic, cloth, frozen wash cloths, biter biscuits, crackers special teething toys I got online ect... I remove her from the walls and she darts back. I feed her thinking shes hungry and she will fight that so I put her down and shes like "hey the side of the tent looks AWESOME". I dont know what to do anymore. Telling her NO! and giving her something else to distract her proves hopeless.

Has anyone else delt with a child who chews on everything but what is ok? I never went thru this with my son and even he is teething now but he chews his lovey. At the rate shes going we are going to be on a TLC show for people who eat chalk and toilet paper. I talk to her mom and she says shes teething which Im fully aware of but holy cow. Its really crazy as Ive never seen a kid like this. Maybe its a developmental problem too?
Sorry, but I am laughing so hard! I can see this little thing eating the table legs and one leg is getting shorter buy the minute, or she chews threw and the table falls to one side!!
I had a dcg that started with me and she was 16mts and would chew on everything and I just kept telling her to "get that out of your mouth" it took 2 weeks and she no longer chews on anything. But your little one is younger and I think it may be harder for you. I just hope your daycare is still standing in a month!
E Daycare 06:52 AM 01-06-2011
I hope its still standing too! She has no teeth so its more like gumming and drooling on things (i never knew a human could produce so much drool) but its constant. Shes a self soother with her fingers so when thats not enough she goes for the couch or something else. I sternly tell her "no ma'am!" or "we dont chew on the wall/door jam/cat tail, instead here chew on this" but to no avail shes thinks the DVR is better. Shes starting to become aware of this as when I tell her she will stop for a second, yell back and go back to it.

Right now shes sitting under one of the kitchen table chairs upset because I gave her a frozen teether and told her no to the table legs.
juliebug 07:19 AM 01-07-2011
Huge hugs i know how it goes i have a 17month old who chews on stuff all the time too he even bit thur my teether yesterday ugh!!! i feel like all i say to him is we don't chew on that and no mouthing that! he doesn't go after my table luckly. today all he is doing is spitting ugh! please tell me teeth come in quickly!
Tags:chewing, teething
Reply Up