Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Growing Beans
Meyou 06:15 AM 04-12-2011
The kids are really interested in my veggie seedlings that I have started in the dining room so I'm going to plant bean seeds with them today.

What little lesson is appropriate for 2-4 year olds? I was thinking I'd draw the life cycle of a plant on bristol board, let them decorate labels for their pot and then do the actual planting. I was thinking also of a calender marked with the days the beans should sprout so we can mark off a day each morning.

I'm going to plant a couple of extras to switch out in case someone gets a dud that doesn't grow.

Anything else I can do? Anyone else plant seeds with their kids?
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 04-12-2011
Try something like this: http://www.basspro.com/Root-Viewer-G...69601/-1192016

I would think you could use jars, an old aquarium or similar containers to do the same. The kids always love seeing the plant grow up and the roots grow down and it helps them understand better how the whole process works.
Meyou 08:01 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Try something like this: http://www.basspro.com/Root-Viewer-G...69601/-1192016

I would think you could use jars, an old aquarium or similar containers to do the same. The kids always love seeing the plant grow up and the roots grow down and it helps them understand better how the whole process works.
Ohh cool idea. I have several tanks in the basement because I'm a reptile owner. Extra tanks seem to come with the territory for some reason. lol
Candyland 09:10 PM 04-30-2011
don't forget to put some beans in a ziplock bag so that your kids can see the seeds sprout and grow! Soak the beans first. or place them in a wet papertowel and place in the bag.
Radish seeds are easy too.
jen2651 05:00 PM 05-01-2011
If you wanted to do beans they could then take home, the clear plastic 'wine' glasses that are used at parties (hard plastic, about 3 inches tall, and truly CLEAR) work great to see the up and down!
Tags:beans, gardening, gardening - beans, growing beans
Reply Up