Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle a Crier?
coolconfidentme 02:51 AM 09-12-2013
If you have a child who cries, whines or whimpers for mommy all day, how do you personally handle it? Just curious...
Cat Herder 03:56 AM 09-12-2013
If they are following along, playing, participating in projects, eating, napping, etc. I simply "active ignore". This means giving the behavior NO attention at all. Keep talking to the group as a whole.

If they are refusing to participate I take them to the soft reading center, point to books/puzzles/chalk boards and tell them they can rejoin the group when they are ready to join in.

If they walk out and refuse to join, I take them back. Rinse, repeat.

*** Obviously making sure your group is doing something pretty awesome at the time tips the scales in your favor. Writing/drawing (with fingers) in colored sand on lunch trays comes to mind. Bonus if you include water spray bottles Even my most *stubborn* toddler ever caved on that one
Familycare71 05:19 AM 09-12-2013
Living that right now! Have a dcb -3. He whines- and whimpers... I ignore it when I can or I say "ok get it together" you know mommy and daddy always come back and your safe!"- sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! he is an only child and I suspect he is greatly rewarded when he is "sad" at home... ESP with tv which is what I think he is seeking here!
Nebula 06:24 AM 09-12-2013
I generally ignore for a bit, if it continues or disrupts - I use time out
cheerfuldom 07:08 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
If they are following along, playing, participating in projects, eating, napping, etc. I simply "active ignore". This means giving the behavior NO attention at all. Keep talking to the group as a whole.

If they are refusing to participate I take them to the soft reading center, point to books/puzzles/chalk boards and tell them they can rejoin the group when they are ready to join in.

*** Obviously making sure your group is doing something pretty awesome at the time tips the scales in your favor. Writing/drawing (with fingers) in colored sand on lunch trays comes to mind. Bonus if you include water spray bottles Even my most *stubborn* toddler ever caved on that one
this exactly! assuming the crier is an older child that can get the concepts being taught. obviously this whole approach is not going to work with babies or even a lot of younger toddlers. but by 18 months, many kids can understand "its okay to cry but you will have to do it over here away from the group. you can join the activity when you are ready to use your words and play nicely with friends"
Play Care 09:55 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Tags:crying
Reply Up