Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Why Why Why Why??
Heidi 06:01 AM 12-22-2011
Not "why does it snow?" or "why is your hair funny today?"..

Me: "K-sit down on the chair".... K: "why?"
Me: G-I want you to keep the magnetic letters by the fridge"... G "why?"

It's getting worse every day with these sibs! EVERYTHING I say to them, not matter how (IE: Benches are for sitting on, I want you to sit down"), or how often I say it (the answer is now obvious after the 100th time), they give me a very snotty WHY?

In the beginning, I gave a reasonable answer the first time...Because I want you to be safe. But, that ship has long sailed. I have tried "because I said so", which is snarky, but true. I've tried "Bs house, B's rules", but then I get "NOao" and other sassy answers. Sometimes, I just ignore the question all together (that is my latest tactic). I swear, I have never in my life dealt with ruder children!

Any bright ideas out there? I can't seem to find a way to deal with this humorously. Maybe someone has a clever idea?
mismatchedsocks 06:02 AM 12-22-2011
Ask them "why do you think?"

I usually ignore it if it happens alot, or i will just say why do you think and let them talk it out to themselves.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:58 AM 12-22-2011
My answer is always "because I said so", after awhile of getting the same answer, they stop asking.
MarinaVanessa 08:21 AM 12-22-2011
I turn it around on them and ask them why every time they ask me something.

DCK: Can I play with [toy]?
Me: Why?
DCK: Please?
Me: Why did you say please?
DCK: Because I asked for [toy].
ME: Why do you want [toy]?
DCK: Because I want to play with it.
Me: Why?
DCK: It's fun.
Me: Why is it fun?
DCK: (pause) Nevermind.
daycare 08:32 AM 12-22-2011
you can do what the pp said..the why game...always answer with a WHY question..

why do I have to sit----child

why is the sky blue----you

and make sure its very random

or you can say instead of don't stand on the chair, you can say....Sussie, chair are for sitting, if you want to stand, you can stand on the floor.

Or If you want to continue to play with the magnets, you need to keep them on the fridge where they are the most safe....
Ariana 09:41 AM 12-22-2011
Ask "why not"?

Answering questions with more questions is always funny!!
Heidi 09:47 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
you can do what the pp said..the why game...always answer with a WHY question..

why do I have to sit----child

why is the sky blue----you

and make sure its very random

or you can say instead of don't stand on the chair, you can say....Sussie, chair are for sitting, if you want to stand, you can stand on the floor.

Or If you want to continue to play with the magnets, you need to keep them on the fridge where they are the most safe....
I do a lot of "chairs are for sitting..." I still get the WHY? THey are doing it to get my goat, and it's starting to work! lol

I will try the silly random responses, though.
Bookworm 02:15 PM 12-22-2011
I love the "reply with a random question" thing. When one of my kids ask a question that they already know the answer to, I always say "you tell me" and they have to answer their own question.
Christian Mother 03:50 PM 12-22-2011
You 2?!!!

This has been driving me nutz the past month...my dcb 2 1/2 everyday all day long...WHYYYYY!!

Why this why that...

I was like you and started to explain..now I say bc I said so....or I turn it back on him and ask him why or I just don't pay attention to it.
Abigail 11:10 PM 12-22-2011
I would respond with a question of either "You tell me" or "Why not" or even ask another question that is off topic starting with "Why" but not being sarcastic.
Michael 01:49 AM 12-23-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=asking+why
Tags:asking why
Reply Up