Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Trimester Exhaustion Help!
Unregistered 12:21 PM 05-10-2012
I am newly preggers and totally exhausted! By nap time I have to fight to stay awake, and by 7:30pm, I put my kids to sleep and pass out. I'm getting behind on the housework, not getting enough quality time with Dh or my kids, and I feel grouchy all the time from being so tired. Any tips?
cheerfuldom 12:35 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am newly preggers and totally exhausted! By nap time I have to fight to stay awake, and by 7:30pm, I put my kids to sleep and pass out. I'm getting behind on the housework, not getting enough quality time with Dh or my kids, and I feel grouchy all the time from being so tired. Any tips?
I am 12 weeks along.

Just hang in there. Let as much go as you can and then put your DH and your kids to work (if they are old enough). Get some freezer dinners or other fast things for now. When my DC kids are gone, I take at least 30 minutes to myself and that helps me make it thru the evening. My hubby is in charge of our kids and I lock myself in the bedroom for a quick rest.
godiva83 01:52 PM 05-10-2012
The exhaustion is the worst!
I made sure to eat a lot of high protein foods, stay away from carbs, simple excercise and rested as much as possible.
Sadly, I let the house work slide and as of late my house hasn't been up to my standards but I just couldn't do the deep cleaning I used to during naps. I utilized nap time to sit with my feet up.

I am finding 3rd trimester exhaustion to be a bit more taxing as I just can't sleep anymore so I am big, running on 3 hours of sleep
And exhausted lol
AfterSchoolMom 02:10 PM 05-10-2012
Aww, I'm sorry. I made a very similar post here myself in the beginning (I'm 23 weeks now)!

My advice is, just let the housework go for now. It'll still be there when you're feeling better. If DH will help you, then let him. Get as much sleep and rest as possible, drink a lot of water, and take your vitamins. I also agree that exercise can help - it seems counterproductive, but even a quick walk in the fresh air really can make a difference. Fresh air was great for me, so I spent a lot of time hanging out in front of the open windows, lol (which also helps the nausea!).

It does pass, and then you can enjoy the second trimester before you get too big and uncomfortable - not looking forward to that stage myself.
DaisyMamma 02:12 PM 05-10-2012
Talk to your DR about taking iron.
Unregistered 03:42 PM 05-10-2012
I can't wait for the second trimester to get here so I can have some energy back. I have been eating a lot of spinach and eggs, which seem to help.

I took out the diapers today and I almost threw up from the awful smell of the trash can
I did try one of those ginger preggie pops which helped a little bit.
AfterSchoolMom 06:30 PM 05-10-2012
They make "Preggie drops" too, which are the same thing in the hard candy version. I loved those because I could eat them all day.

Another thing that really seemed to help me was Gatorade.
cheerfuldom 06:37 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I can't wait for the second trimester to get here so I can have some energy back. I have been eating a lot of spinach and eggs, which seem to help.

I took out the diapers today and I almost threw up from the awful smell of the trash can
I did try one of those ginger preggie pops which helped a little bit.
ewww, diaper trash is the worst! and my toddler daycare girl is transitioning to milk and big girl foods and all of a sudden, she has FOUL diapers.

Something else that I do is to wear Sea Bands. It puts a pressure point on your wrist and is supposed to be for sea sickness. But it works well for me! I wear them a good part of the day actually. I have also started taking everyone for a walk as soon as the last kid arrives. Fresh air and some low impact exercise is great and does not wear me out so I still have lots of energy for the rest of the day.
Nellie 08:32 PM 05-10-2012
First off big HUGS and I hope you feel better soon. I didn't work at all with my second child. My oldest was 10 and I slept and threw up all day. With my third my sisters took turns coming in and helping me through the mornings for the first few months and the last month when I was the sickest.

Make sure you stay on the kids to pick up after themselves. On days that I need the house to stay clean I try to keep the kids outside as much as possible. My own kids would play outside all day long every day if they could, but the daycare kids get board after an hour or so. I took out some of the old barbies, plastic dolls, and bought a kitchen and work bench from a grage sale, tractors, cars, trucks and some other toys that don't get played with as often so there is more of a variety and we can be outside longer. Now that it is warm I do snacks outside and we stay out until pick up. I want to get a little picnic table so we can to some art outside too.

Try anything that will save you time and energy. Maybe paper plates and cups. If you use cloth wash clothes and towels for the kids use paper towels to cut down on a load of laundry a day. Frozen dinners. Kids typically love to help. I have to wash windows in one of the playrooms every day. One little girl was always wanting to help and finally I let her. Now the kids take turns washing the windows. Try to get as much as you can done while the kids are there so after they leave you can get to sleep as soon as possible and stay in bed until you have to get up. If family and friends offer to help --TAKE THEM UP ON IT. I know with my second I was 9 months pregant and hadn't set the nursery up yet. It was filled with boxes. My sisters always were offering to help and but I didn't want to be a bother. One Sat they had my husband take me out for the afternoon and they cleaned that room out, painted, set up the crib, and washed and put away baby clothes. With my third when they heard I was pretty sick again they set up a schedule with when they could come and help me with the DC kids. People don't offer for no reason and most of the time they just need to be told what to do.
Unregistered 05:39 AM 05-11-2012
Good tips! I typically am a "I can do it myself" kind of person but I am going to have to accept some help from friends this time around I think. Taking the kids outside is a great idea as well. We spend a lot of days out there

Originally Posted by Nellie:
First off big HUGS and I hope you feel better soon. I didn't work at all with my second child. My oldest was 10 and I slept and threw up all day. With my third my sisters took turns coming in and helping me through the mornings for the first few months and the last month when I was the sickest.

Make sure you stay on the kids to pick up after themselves. On days that I need the house to stay clean I try to keep the kids outside as much as possible. My own kids would play outside all day long every day if they could, but the daycare kids get board after an hour or so. I took out some of the old barbies, plastic dolls, and bought a kitchen and work bench from a grage sale, tractors, cars, trucks and some other toys that don't get played with as often so there is more of a variety and we can be outside longer. Now that it is warm I do snacks outside and we stay out until pick up. I want to get a little picnic table so we can to some art outside too.

Try anything that will save you time and energy. Maybe paper plates and cups. If you use cloth wash clothes and towels for the kids use paper towels to cut down on a load of laundry a day. Frozen dinners. Kids typically love to help. I have to wash windows in one of the playrooms every day. One little girl was always wanting to help and finally I let her. Now the kids take turns washing the windows. Try to get as much as you can done while the kids are there so after they leave you can get to sleep as soon as possible and stay in bed until you have to get up. If family and friends offer to help --TAKE THEM UP ON IT. I know with my second I was 9 months pregant and hadn't set the nursery up yet. It was filled with boxes. My sisters always were offering to help and but I didn't want to be a bother. One Sat they had my husband take me out for the afternoon and they cleaned that room out, painted, set up the crib, and washed and put away baby clothes. With my third when they heard I was pretty sick again they set up a schedule with when they could come and help me with the DC kids. People don't offer for no reason and most of the time they just need to be told what to do.

Tags:pregnancy, pregnancy - trimester, tired
Reply Up