Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Canadian Providers - Bill 143
godiva83 05:31 PM 12-12-2013
Hi there,

I have been hearing contradicting information regarding Bill 143.

I have heard it has passed, it's coming to a 2nd reading come February, you can only have 2 under 2 as of January 2014, the max number is now 5 including your own.

Any clarification or information is kindly appreciated.
Luna 05:35 PM 12-12-2013
I understood we will be able to have 6 total rather than the current 5. It will still be only 2 under 2, but 6 total.
Blackcat31 05:41 PM 12-12-2013
I heard there are not many providers that are happy about this.

Passing this message along:

CCPRN has created an important survey regarding changes to the Day Nurseries Act

The Ministry of Education has presented the Child Care Modernization Act to replace the Day Nurseries Act. They are looking for feedback – NOW is the time to speak up about Bill 143! Follow the link below for more information and to complete our survey.

Please share the link with all of your daycare families and provider contacts so we can use this information in our letter to the

Ministry. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Bill143Survey Deadline: December 17th, 2013.
Luna 05:43 PM 12-12-2013
http://childcarecanada.org/documents...t-backgrounder
Blackcat31 05:48 PM 12-12-2013
Here is the link to the Bill, and a way to follow it's status:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil..._detail_status
godiva83 05:55 PM 12-12-2013
Thank you ladies.

If passers do you know if we will receive a ' grace' period of sorts?
Blackcat31 05:57 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Thank you ladies.

If passers do you know if we will receive a ' grace' period of sorts?
Your location says California?
godiva83 05:59 PM 12-12-2013
Black cat, for some reason I ccan't get that link you posted to go thru
godiva83 06:00 PM 12-12-2013
No, right now it would be nice to live in Cali, but I am from the frigid Great White North. Lol Canada Ontario
Blackcat31 09:18 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Black cat, for some reason I ccan't get that link you posted to go thru
Hmm, it seems to work from my home PC and my tablet ... I don't know why it's not working....

If you want I can try and look into it/fix it tomorrow when I get to work ....
My daycare info/files are on my PC at work and I cant access them from home.
countrymom 06:17 AM 12-13-2013
the bill has NOT PASSED and the second reading isn't till feburary. Its a rumor that is going around that its jan.

and what the problem is that the goverment wants us to go thru an agency so that you can have six kids (i'm not interested in having 6 kids)

they also want to include your own children if they are under the age of 6 (again doesn't affect me)

they want to do the 2 under 2 rule and then there is no number under the age of 6 to a max of 5 children

but where are all the babies going to go.
Soccermom 06:57 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
the bill has NOT PASSED and the second reading isn't till feburary. Its a rumor that is going around that its jan.

and what the problem is that the goverment wants us to go thru an agency so that you can have six kids (i'm not interested in having 6 kids)

they also want to include your own children if they are under the age of 6 (again doesn't affect me)

they want to do the 2 under 2 rule and then there is no number under the age of 6 to a max of 5 children

but where are all the babies going to go.
The government needs to re-evaluate mat leave in Canada. They need to make it 2 years. There is currently nowhere for the babies to go.

Most large daycares won't take them until they are 2 because the ratios are so low and they end up losing money by having infants.

Most small licenced in home daycares won't take them either because it lowers the number of children they are allowed too much and they don't make any $.

The economy is going to crap as it is and now a lot of women are going to end up being forced to leave the workforce because they are unable to find anyone to care for their 1 year olds.
Luna 07:43 AM 12-13-2013
I think some people are misinterpreting this. You can only have two under two...then you can have three over two as well making five total. Having two under two doesn't mean you can't take older children as well. If the bill passes you will be able to have six total.
countrymom 10:22 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I think some people are misinterpreting this. You can only have two under two...then you can have three over two as well making five total. Having two under two doesn't mean you can't take older children as well. If the bill passes you will be able to have six total.
only if you go thru an agency can you have 6. But if you are unlicenced it will still be 5. You can have all older children if you want but it will only be 5 children max.
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
only if you go thru an agency can you have 6. But if you are unlicenced it will still be 5. You can have all older children if you want but it will only be 5 children max.
....including your own correct?

So if a provider has 3 small children of their own, she can only have 2 DCK's then?
Luna 11:12 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
....including your own correct?

So if a provider has 3 small children of their own, she can only have 2 DCK's then?
That's the way I understand it.
countrymom 11:50 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
That's the way I understand it.
yes if they are under the age of 6. Mine are older 9-15 so they don't fit. but at one time I have 4 kids under the age of 6, that would have been awful.
godiva83 05:47 PM 12-13-2013
I read that it will effect a lot of the Montessori schools as well and they will have to abide by the ratios like everyone else (even tho I believe most do now anyway)

If passed I wonder when it will take effect... They will have to give providers/guardians time to transition into these new laws .

/

I see lots of issues with this bill that I don't see it likely will be passed! Although I am all for more strict guidelines for unlicensed perhaps maybe that all have to be registered at least. I have sadly met some bad seeds out there that really take advantage of clueless parents one lady had 11 kids and charged a ridiculous fee -- it was shocking she was so clueless
countrymom 06:45 PM 12-13-2013
me too, acually I was just talking to dh on the way home today about this. The provider I know was posting pics of wine bottles and cases of wine bottles and open drinks during daycare hours. I've now come to the conclusion that she also drinks during her hours. I showed him all the naughty pics and even he couldn't believe it.

she also has been busted by the ministry for having way too many children, she said she had 9 kids that day, but my sis who lives next door said that its acually 12 kids. Did she learn her lesson, nope she still has more.

I've been sitting on the fence on calling her as I'm concerned about the kids but then it will the give the goverment another reason for the bill kwim. And I'm afraid of karma too, but I know what she is doing is wrong.

like she is going away for a whole week and is leaving her assistant to deal with all the kids, like who does this. There are other things too. And the worst thing is, is that she is friends with all the parents on facebook so they see her pics and what she is doing, but they still keep bringing the kids there.
Tags:canada
Reply Up