Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 Year Old Stealing, Sneaky
kitykids3 12:25 PM 02-25-2016
Hi all, I have a young 4 yr old dcg who has been with me since 5 months. She's always been a little rowdy, noisy, 'energetic (can't sit still for anything except nap), etc. She has always pushed the buttons and does things she knows she's not supposed to. She is a little rough on my things and I have to repeatedly tell her the same. stuff. every. day. more. than. once.
Anyways, a few weeks ago I noticed she started to take some of my little toys and 'hide' them in her extra clothes basket. For a year on and off, she'll take little things home in her pockets even though we've covered that. The hiding things in her basket is new.
Well today I went to pick up other girl from school and came back and my assistant told me she had 'stolen' (was in her basket and she found it when she pulled out her sheet to set up her mat) my cup of gum that was on my stairs leading to upstairs (my home part). She had done this earlier this morning when I was letting them be 'special helpers' with me which required me being at top of stairs and them at the bottom catching laundry. So she did this earlier while it was just me and them. Then she found out. She told her she shouldn't have taken it and gave her a time out. While making lunch, she came back to have them clean up and the dcg had the cup of gum in her back pocket! She was trying to steal it again!
I have tried timeouts, positive reinforcement, talks, cuddle time when she wants it, some special time when she wants it and I can, but she still is ALWAYS doing stuff she knows she can't and has been extra sneaky lately. Anyone have any suggestions? Talking to parents not really an option cuz I can tell they've played a part in making her like this, plus when I have tried asking them to refer her to birth to 3, they've never done it when I had some concerns. They think as long as the doc, who sees her once in a while, knows that she's perfectly fine and goes by his word. I'm the one that has her 45 hrs a week, have a degree and plenty of classes in child development/teaching and 15 yrs of experience, but I guess I don't know anything. They're going to have such a handful as she gets older.
Anyways, anyone have any suggestions that I might not have thought of?? Timeouts don't seem to phase her. I feel she is attention seeking, but it's like she CONSTANTLY needs the attention, and is misbehaving if someone else has it. ugh. Ideas please. At a loss and I'm about to term now that she's 'stealing' too though I love her. TIA!
rosieteddy 12:46 PM 02-25-2016
At 4 she knows better.I would take special privileges away from her .Explain that she knows taking things is wrong.I would do a "good"chart.Every day she does not hide or take things that do not belong to her a sticker.Five stickers she starts week off helping.Steal or hide something no sticker start over .She won't be with you long so I would stick it out.
Reply Up