Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you prefer
Sibling Group 6 33.33%
Only children 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Prefer?
Country Kids 02:01 PM 12-21-2011
Just wondering if any of you prefer watching children that are a sibling group/only child.

All my children are either the youngest of sibling groups, with large age differences 8+ years or only children. The thing though with the large age differences everyone acts like only children or they are so babied by the older siblings that they can't do anything for themselves it seems.
wdmmom 02:11 PM 12-21-2011
I don't mind sibling groups as long as I don't have both in care. I don't like taking on a sibling group for fear if they leave, I lose 40% of my income.
themoorethemerrier 02:14 PM 12-21-2011
I can't say yet.

I have siblings now, and just like my kids sometimes there's a sibling scuffle or an exclusive sibling-play. I imagine that an only would be more likely to have either more alone time or demanding play time.
Country Kids 02:17 PM 12-21-2011
Well one big thing with only children I've noticed is its all theirs, don't share well, cry more easily, and seem overly sensative. They also tend to fight alot easier with others.
Blackcat31 02:18 PM 12-21-2011
Personally, I don't mind any of the siblings or singlets. I think it all just depends on the behavior of the child. Some of the singlets have a tough time knowing how to play with others or sometimes have the opposite problem and don't know how to play without an adult facilitating.

I've also had sibling sets who believe they are attached at the hip and sib sets that want NOTHING to do with their sibling so I do not have a preferance as I seem to have had them all.
morgan24 02:26 PM 12-21-2011
I voted siblings because it cuts down on drop offs and pick ups.

I agree with country kids. I don't like only children either, especially older ones.
erinalexmom 02:29 PM 12-21-2011
All my children are the babies of the family by several years and oh my gosh! Drives me crazy! They are way to immature for thier age and continually want "entertainment" from others. But in some ways being here is good for them because I do NOT baby anyone and being around all the other "babies=its all about me" crowd makes them forced into growing up cause no one is giving in! lol
mismatchedsocks 03:50 PM 12-21-2011
I'm good with siblings, it cuts down on drop offs/pick ups and when they have the day off its 2 gone, not one.

But I like the single kids, because they dont usually fight from day one with a sibling. I dont give discounts for siblings, and alot of my siblings started out as singles, and 4 families are now sibling families!
Sunchimes 04:01 PM 12-21-2011
All 3 of mine are only kids. But they are so different. Two cry easily, one never cries. One shares (at 15 months, it's a mircle!), the others don't. Nothing is the same. I'll have a sibling group when one of my kids has a new brother next month. I don't think she's going to handle it well. She doesn't even like me to pet the cat.
daycare 04:12 PM 12-21-2011
you should have a 3rd choice of neither.. I dont have a preference.

I think it all has to do with the parents. Regardless if they are an only child or not. If they have one sibling or 10. It all comes down to the parenting of the child.
DCMom 05:04 PM 12-21-2011
Most of my dcfamilies start here as single infants then become sibling groups. I do have one single dcg who is the youngest of three with a 6 year gap between her and her nearest sibling. She can be a handful, but for the most part I don't have a preference.
Hunni Bee 08:37 PM 12-21-2011
There is one sibling group at my Center with five siblings, and I've had all but the youngest at one point. And with the ages and their alternating genders (does that sound right?) I always end up with a brother and a sister, and one summer I had both brothers and the middle sister.

I actually prefer a sibling group, because eight times out of ten I'll have only one of the siblings at a time and those kids have easier time adjusting to group care, unless the sibling is significantly older or younger.
Only children are a wild card....they haven't had the socialization of being around other kids - so you may get a mellow one happy to have daycare "siblings" or you may get the fearful, touchy one or the "i rule my parents' lives" one.
cheerfuldom 09:03 PM 12-21-2011
I have only ever had singletons and mostly have issues with micro managing first time parents. Singletons also hit the tantrums and crying HARD. They are used to getting what they want, when they want it. Normally I can get them broke out of the "entertain me/hold me" issues but the crying is an ongoing battle no matter how long I have them. We get going really well here and then one vacation, one trip to grandmas, one weekend of "yes honey, whatever you want" and we have to get back on track.
laundrymom 03:14 AM 12-22-2011
I prefer singles. Here they seem easier. Sins want to coddle or bug their babies too much. They are not allowed to touch my babies. And it is the biggest problem I run into " but it's my sister!!!!! I do it at home!!!!!" well you aren't allowed to drag her by the head here, no touch my baby!
Tags:siblings
Reply Up