Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids At DC While The Parents Are Home From Work...
PolkaTots 08:09 AM 12-22-2011
So, how do you feel about children who attend DC while their parents are at home from work/school etc.?

I am opened M-F this week and next, since one parent does work M-F, but has a half day Friday. The other 3 are off of school this week (teachers children), but are coming every day for full days this week and next! I can understand a day, or maybe two, but the whole week? What happened to people wanting to spend time with their own children
godiva83 08:28 AM 12-22-2011
It does frustrate me, but as others have said before they pay the bill.
I just know I would sacrifice or do anything to spend time with my child- hence why I am a dayhome provider. I have one family that drops their son off daily and Dad is usually at home- they also took 2 weeks off on vacation and he was here the entire time one day I think they will look back and regret as these years go by so fast.
cheerfuldom 08:33 AM 12-22-2011
It is very frustrating but you just have to deal with this. Most providers have the same issue. It's a shame that parents don't want to spend at least a little more time with their own kids but they did pay for the days, so they can use them. some parents are just trying to get the most for their money while other parents would just rather do their own thing. They might assume the kids would rather be at daycare with friends anyway. There are also the parents that just plan out don't want to spend time with kids period.
daycare 08:36 AM 12-22-2011
this post on this subject always ends a heated debate...

All I have to say is that I offer a service and if parents use it or not is up to them. I may not agree with their decision, but if they are paying me to provide a service, then it's up to them on how they will use it or not..
Michelle 08:44 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
this post on this subject always ends a heated debate...

All I have to say is that I offer a service and if parents use it or not is up to them. I may not agree with their decision, but if they are paying me to provide a service, then it's up to them on how they will use it or not..
except when it affects us!
When parents tell older kids that they have the day off and they are going shopping, out to eat, etc. then the kids will give me a very hard time that day.I actually had a kid that started fights with the other kids and made a mess with my art supplies and was trying very hard to get kicked out so he can go have fun with mom.
MarinaVanessa 08:55 AM 12-22-2011
I think that in SOME (not all) situations I feel sad for the kids. If the parents already don't spend a lot of time with their kids then that's when I feel sad.

I do however have great families that are here straight from work even on days that they get out early and will keep their kids home with them if they are sick. WHen these families get an occasional day off and want to do something together as a couple then I don't mind.

I have a family who's kids are here at DC FT 5 days a week that go on a date night once sometimes twice a month on a weekend and they'll bring their kids to me when grandma can't watch them. I don't mind doing it for them because every weekend they go out and do family things, even on days that they go out on date night. The DC kids come to DC talking about how much fun they had and where they went and it makes it hard for me to feel upset for them becase the kids are happy.

I have however had familes where the kids go to gradmas on the weekends and to DC during the week and for them, I'd always be "busy" on the weekends if grandma couldn't watch the kids. I guess it always depends on the situation. Sometimes it bothers me when parents are home on days off while the kids are here at DC but like many have said before, they're paying for it. If it bothered me THAT much I would offer to reimburse them back for the days that their kids were not here, but it doesn't bother me that much to do that. I like my income just the way it is so whether they're home or at work, I'll be here with their child.
meganlavonnesmommy 09:04 AM 12-22-2011
Most of the time I dont mind. They have paid for the service, so they are welcome to use it.
But when I hear them complain about how much they miss their kids, and how they wish they didnt have to work so they could have more time with them. And when I see these same parents home from work, while their kids sit here, then I get upset.
This same family, the dad has a week off between christmas and new years, and is bringing both his kids here all week.

Like others have said, I just feel bad for the kids. They grow up so fast, and the parents are missing so much.
Unregistered 09:26 AM 12-22-2011
Just had all the parents (and my husband) off work this tuesday and ALL the kids came to daycare. I charge regardless and I think parents can use their time as they wish. It would be good for them to spend time with their kids but I can't judge them. At drop off that day I might have felt bitter but I know how hard it is to clean and get groceries with kids so if I had a day off and had to pay for daycare I would send my kids too, maybe only half day though ; )

And yesterday at pick up one mom (who was off all day) said her husband was off work taking a nap all afternoon. I saw him drive home at 1 pm ( they live 3 houses away) and it didn't bother me in the least. I would however been really mad had he pulled in to pick up his kids in the middle of nap time. They pay me like regular, pick up at 3 when they get off early or are off a day and gave me $125 cash x-mas bonus plus bought my son an amazing playdough set. ; )
Ariana 09:39 AM 12-22-2011
It doesn't really bother me because everyone is different. If it were me I'd definately be spending my time WITH my child. This is why I became a DCP so already my mindset is different in terms of parenting.

Some parents feel that the kids are happier at daycare and miss their friends etc. I don't know if this is what they tell themselves to make themselves feel less guilty or what but I know that kids want to be with their families. I also understand how hard it can be around the holidays to get shopping done with kids in tow. If you're working full-time then leaving some days to shop without kids is a great idea...a whole week is a bit much however IMO. I have to go to the mall this afternoon and I don't want to take my daughter because she gets bored and I have to concentrate. I wish I had a DCP to drop her off to for the afternoon :P
Sugar Magnolia 10:02 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
So, how do you feel about children who attend DC while their parents are at home from work/school etc.?

I am opened M-F this week and next, since one parent does work M-F, but has a half day Friday. The other 3 are off of school this week (teachers children), but are coming every day for full days this week and next! I can understand a day, or maybe two, but the whole week? What happened to people wanting to spend time with their own children
I see why you feel that way. Yeah, its frustrating to know parents are not working or otherwise busy, and I don't know how your rate structure works, but I get paid X amount per week and parents can come and go as they please between 730 and 530 M-6. Yeah, we enjoy getting paid anyways when the kids are absent (we will even give a quiet "yay free money" high-five when someone is absent) for but I don't begrudge the parents at all. They pay us to be available. They pay us to care about their kids while they are here, they don't pay me to worry about what they (the parents) are doing. I see threads like this all the time and they usually degenerate into e-catfights, so let's all remember to be cordial and remember we are all just expressing opinions, no one is right or wrong.
frgsonmysox 10:15 AM 12-22-2011
I'm still in the process of making my parent handbook and at the moment I plan to stay open on all holidays except Christmas. I don't mind it, I know some parents have to work those holidays, and I don't mind including others into our celebration (we normally have a lot people over on holidays anyway, so a few extra kids isn't a big deal). I worded that paragraph in my handbook this way

"I reserve the right to close on any Federal Holiday. At this time I plan to only be closed on Christmas Day. This means, at the moment, I will be open on all other Federal Holidays, including Thanksgiving. It is important, if you have the day off from work, to spend it with your child and your family so I can spend it with mine. I understand the temptation to utilize daycare to get errands done, or to get a break. Please do this sparingly. If I feel that being open on Holidays is becoming abused I will close on all Federal Holidays."

Is that maybe being too rude?
daycare 10:19 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
except when it affects us!
When parents tell older kids that they have the day off and they are going shopping, out to eat, etc. then the kids will give me a very hard time that day.I actually had a kid that started fights with the other kids and made a mess with my art supplies and was trying very hard to get kicked out so he can go have fun with mom.
I understand what you are saying, but if this happened at my house and the kid was doing it on purpose, then I would be calling mom to let her know.

This type of behavior in my house would get you know where..../Plus if it was only happening when it was the holidays, I can handle a once a year thing..
mismatchedsocks 10:24 AM 12-22-2011
It happens all the time. I am glad I stay home with my kids, and have that chance. I really couldnt imagine putting them in daycare and then on days off taking them JUST because I had to pay for it.

I do have one little boy who comes every day I am open. They dont use their vacation days, and their reason is he needs his schedule. They say they struggle with "what to do with him" on the weekends. This makes me sad to hear, but glad that I can be here for him.
melissa ann 10:30 AM 12-22-2011
I've had times when mom would have off and would keep her oldest (4 yr old) with her but would bring the 2 yr old to me. It would upset the 2 yr old when mom would drop him off but not his sister. I felt very sad for this little guy.
laundrymom 10:34 AM 12-22-2011
I have 8 families. I have one MOm who grabs baby ASAP I have one fam who drops at 630 picks up at 530. EVERY DAY. kids cry for parents. Parents post to fb. Missing my kiddos. Then a pic of them having coffee alone. Saying wish the kids were here. They would love this pastry!!

Then get them. If you miss them that bad.
Michelle 10:41 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have 8 families. I have one MOm who grabs baby ASAP I have one fam who drops at 630 picks up at 530. EVERY DAY. kids cry for parents. Parents post to fb. Missing my kiddos. Then a pic of them having coffee alone. Saying wish the kids were here. They would love this pastry!!

Then get them. If you miss them that bad.
wow!
I feel guilty when I leave my kids in the nursery at church!
And that's for just 2 hours, one day a week
Crazy8 10:54 AM 12-22-2011
It used to bother me - NOT because I had to work but because I felt bad for the kids who were already only spent 2-4 hours a day with their parents. But ultimately it is a parent's decision and its a battle I've stopped fighting. If I want the time off I know I need to officially close for the day!

And, yeah, I love all the FB comments about "missing my little girl" yet they put them in daycare every chance they get and send them to grandma's for the weekend.
LittleD 10:59 AM 12-22-2011
I'm half and half on my feelings. Christmas time is a time for family. If you are off, spend it with your kids. If you are working, I'm more then happy to watch the kids. I don't get paid if they aren't here, which is no fun come payday, but it's Christmas for gosh sakes!! Parents that say they miss the kids then drop them of at DC for reasons other then work drive me batty! Don't say it if you don't mean it!
Other days, I don't care if they are here, but it would be appreciated if the parents wouldn't leave them RIGHT until 5pm ;0
Sugar Magnolia 10:59 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
I'm still in the process of making my parent handbook and at the moment I plan to stay open on all holidays except Christmas. I don't mind it, I know some parents have to work those holidays, and I don't mind including others into our celebration (we normally have a lot people over on holidays anyway, so a few extra kids isn't a big deal). I worded that paragraph in my handbook this way

"I reserve the right to close on any Federal Holiday. At this time I plan to only be closed on Christmas Day. This means, at the moment, I will be open on all other Federal Holidays, including Thanksgiving. It is important, if you have the day off from work, to spend it with your child and your family so I can spend it with mine. I understand the temptation to utilize daycare to get errands done, or to get a break. Please do this sparingly. If I feel that being open on Holidays is becoming abused I will close on all Federal Holidays."

Is that maybe being too rude?
Not rude, just seems a little vague. As a parent, I'd want to know definitively what days you are open or closed. Take the Fed Holidays off, you deserve them. Make them PAID holidays too! I love my dck's, but nope, they wouldn't be at my Thanksgiving table. IMO.
SilverSabre25 11:24 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Not rude, just seems a little vague. As a parent, I'd want to know definitively what days you are open or closed. Take the Fed Holidays off, you deserve them. Make them PAID holidays too! I love my dck's, but nope, they wouldn't be at my Thanksgiving table. IMO.
Yes, I agree with this.

If you want, once you have children in care, you can get a feel for who has good back-up, who really has crappy work schedules, and who really might NEED some help.

I have a struggling single mom and a family where both parents work retail-type jobs. I offer, at my discretion, to keep those kids on *certain* holidays--but only those families and I offer in private. The other family is more likely to bring dcg when one or both parents are off and they work at a bank so they work bank days and hours--they also have tons of family nearby to baby-sit. I do NOT offer this to that family.
SilverSabre25 11:28 AM 12-22-2011

Meh, I don't ask what the parents are doing. I care, but only when it's a day I would have rather had off, their child was the only one I had, and I was told they were working when it's clear they weren't. And even then, I sigh and only care a little bit. As long as I'm getting paid, I'm doing my job. I strive to give each child the love, cuddles, and playtime that they need and leave it at that.

As for what happened to people wanting to spend time with their children, well, learning to parent and understanding one's own child both come with TIME. TIME in the trenches of parenting. TIME to make the mistakes, and to see what works. TIME to really understand where your child is developmentally and react accordingly. Parents who work all the time do not HAVE this time.

The short answer is, parents aren't quite sure HOW to parent, and so have a very hard time doing it.
daycare 11:38 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Meh, I don't ask what the parents are doing. I care, but only when it's a day I would have rather had off, their child was the only one I had, and I was told they were working when it's clear they weren't. And even then, I sigh and only care a little bit. As long as I'm getting paid, I'm doing my job. I strive to give each child the love, cuddles, and playtime that they need and leave it at that.

As for what happened to people wanting to spend time with their children, well, learning to parent and understanding one's own child both come with TIME. TIME in the trenches of parenting. TIME to make the mistakes, and to see what works. TIME to really understand where your child is developmentally and react accordingly. Parents who work all the time do not HAVE this time.

The short answer is, parents aren't quite sure HOW to parent, and so have a very hard time doing it.
this!!

and we cant be mad at the parents for not parenting the way we parent our own children.... Kind of like saying I dont like the way you parent, because you don't parent like me....
wdmmom 11:54 AM 12-22-2011
I don't allow it. When teachers sign up here, they give me their calendar in advance so I know what days Winter break is, Spring break is and Summer break is.

The deal I offer is: kids don't come over winter and spring break. winter break is paid because it includes holiday pay. Spring break is 50% off and summer depends on whether they will be needing any care during those 2 months.
mema 12:24 PM 12-22-2011
Most of the time I don't mind. If they are the only one in care that day, it bothers me a bit more, especially if the parent says that they didn't want them to miss their buddies. What bothers me, is when they have the day off and don't let you know. I had one that didn't tell me and their child got sick. I called work, no answer-left message. Called cell, no answer-left message. Called back to work to the front office instead and found out they had the day off I tried the cell 2 more times and then called the back up-grandma, who had to leave work to come get child. 2 hours after grandma picked up, parent called back and I said not to worry, grandma left work and came got them Not sure how the convo between them went, but wished I was a fly on the wall I also had a parent that worked 4 days but brought all 5-every week. Kid went to grandmas every Fri nite and didn't come home til Sun nite. She complained how she never saw him and was missing all his new language. I felt bad for the kid and even worse when she told me she was pregnant.
spud912 12:34 PM 12-22-2011
I don't mind at all. They pay for a full week (on time) and I expect to work that time regardless. If they need an occasional day to get something done, then I don't mind. I can definitely understand from their perspective (especially this time of year....trying to purchase children's x-mas toys with the children is pretty difficult if they are 3 or older).

Now, I admit that I am guilty of judgmental moments. If I believe the parents are the types who don't want to spend any time with their kids, then it would start to get on my nerves. For example, many years ago I worked as a nanny for a large family for 50 hours a week. When I wasn't there, they had another nanny come at night and on the weekends. On top of it all, they had me cleaning their house (which was a disaster), doing their laundry, feeding their dog and cooking dinner for the family. When they had a day off, I still had to come (even though they were at home). The mom used to complain that her work wasn't sending her off on enough business trips. That's when I was young and naive and let people walk all over me.

All of the parents I have now genuinely are good parents in my opinion and want to spend as much time with their children as possible. On occasion, they will ask me to watch their children for a few hours or even a full day when they are off so they can get some stuff done. Most of the time, I get a surprise shortened day or a day off (even though it's a paid day), making my job easier!
Meyou 12:39 PM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
Most of the time I dont mind. They have paid for the service, so they are welcome to use it.
But when I hear them complain about how much they miss their kids, and how they wish they didnt have to work so they could have more time with them. And when I see these same parents home from work, while their kids sit here, then I get upset.
This same family, the dad has a week off between christmas and new years, and is bringing both his kids here all week.

Like others have said, I just feel bad for the kids. They grow up so fast, and the parents are missing so much.
This. The only reason I care is because I'm the one who has to see how much the kids miss their parents.
godiva83 12:45 PM 12-22-2011
I have one DCB who has been off with extreme bronchitis the past 2 days, I just got a phone call saying he will be here tomorrow to get some of their monies worth... Both parents are at home, and this poor little guy just needs his rest!

In cases like this I am peeved where they care about their $$ over what is best for their son! At least he is my only child and I can give him a lot of extra TLC
AnythingsPossible 12:58 PM 12-22-2011
I have 2 that will be here the last two days of the week though their parent's are home. Dad told me the other day, "we're going to go ahead and bring them thrusday and friday, it's just easier that way then they aren't in the way" Nice, really nice.
If you wanted easy you shouldn't of had children!!
Unregistered 04:20 PM 12-22-2011
I have a mom who works 15 hours per week or 3 hours per day. Her child is with me full-time every day. I'm pretty used to it. I asked her if she was planning to come and pick up DCG early tomorrow (It's like Christmas Eve so everyone I know is only working 1/2 day including my husband) but she said "No I have errands I need to run". It cracks me up!! Couldn't you have run those errands in the 25 hours your child was already in daycare this week while you were NOT WORKING?!!!

I feel pretty bad for the little girl but I know she's happier here than at home anyway and all she'd do there is watch tv.
wahmof3 06:01 AM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I don't allow it. When teachers sign up here, they give me their calendar in advance so I know what days Winter break is, Spring break is and Summer break is.

The deal I offer is: kids don't come over winter and spring break. winter break is paid because it includes holiday pay. Spring break is 50% off and summer depends on whether they will be needing any care during those 2 months.
I do the same bc I have all teachers kids. I haven't charged in the past for winter break, spring break etc but starting 2012 I am.

50% of their fee for winter/spring break and all other holidays, snow days, sick days are regular fee.

I have however kept dck when parents aren't working but they always ask me & usually its a valid reason and its seldom.

I did term a family for not following phb rules. They would both have the day off & both would come in to pick up dck. It would make me so mad

I am a firm believer that if you have the day off, spend it with your child. It really breaks my heart. But you really can't control it because when pushcomes to shove they would lie about it anyways.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 12-23-2011
I provide a service. Parents have a right to buy that service. They can do whatever they wish if they are paying. I would NEVER choose a dayare that "told" me when and under what circumstances I was allowed to use those services. As a parent, what I do when I pay my child care provider to care for my child, is none of their business.

As a provider, to even ask what parents are doing and then thinking I have a right to have a say in what parents are doing while they pay me to watch their child is not ok. It is none of my business as long as I can reach the parent if needed.

We can say, the child's behavior effects us but in reality do we really know why a child is acting out? We can assume that it is because the child isn't spending enough quality time with the child, but come on, do we REALLY know that is the reason? Many parents do not know the importance of time or how to parent, or are simply doing the same thing that was done when they grew up. Many children do not know anything but being at daycare for every day of the week.

There are so many situations and reasons for why parents do what they do that I think it is really not fair for child care providers to vent about not having kids enrolled but then place limits on how and when the parents can use those services.

This subject always frustrates me because I am always surprised at the attitude of providers thinking it is our right or our business to dictate how a parent can use a service they paid for. I know many of you will disagree and that is ok because I guess we all are allowed to run our businesses how ever we choose.

This just happens to be one area, I choose NOT to even get into with parents. If I am open and they pay...they can go to Disneyland.. alone () for all I care.
Texasjeepgirl 07:06 AM 12-23-2011
Honestly.. I never question where the parent is..or what they are doing..
As long as I can contact them by phone if I need them......

I run a LICENSED HOME DAYCARE.. I try to keep all my available positions filled... I have a structured/scheduled day..and it involves the arrival of my little customers..
I have parents that are teachers... factory workers...fast food workers.. and full time students... I don't operate my daycare by 'contracted' hours.. I am open for business Monday-Friday... 7 a.m. till 5:30 p.m..
My fee is a full time.. flat fee... for the use of all of those hours...all of those days...and I don't 'pro-rate' my fee for holidays...illness or any other reason.
If the parent is not working that day.. I might or might not ever know..
If they arrive to pick their child up wearing different clothing than when they dropped them off that morning.. I NEVER QUESTION whether they've been home...taking a nap.. grocery shopping..or other..
My rule regarding attendance is: The child MUST ARRIVE by 9:30 a.m..(exception is well/visit to doctor...no sick visits).. otherwise... they can NOT attend for the day.. I do this to allow for our daily schedule to go smoothly with preschool activities...lunch prep... etc.
I do not allow naptime pick ups...unless it is an emergency/illness situation.
so... a child would need to walk in by 9:30..could not be picked up till after 3 p.m.. in order to attend for the day.
The truth is... as a general rule.. . I find that it is disruptive for them to miss a regular day..I will generally 'not' enroll a child if the parent only requires part time care...although.. what I basically tell them is...my fee is the same regardless...it is up to you whether your child attends all 5 days or not..but kids just do better if they attend care consistently.
In the end.. I just don't PRESUME to dictate TO A PARENT how much quality time they need to spend with their child... the truth is.. we don't always know all the dynamics that go on in someone else's home....
..and why they choose to leave their child in daycare from open till close..

What I do know is this:.. Children eat better ... quality nutrition.. scheduled meals and snacks.. when they are in daycare.. compared to being at home with parents for a full day... they nap better in daycare.. and...they learn.. and enjoy their day with their friends...
I concentrate on providing these kids with a loving... peaceful.. explorative..entertaining... restful... day...
Provided the parent pays my fee on time.. picks their child up on time... picks their child up in a timely manner if the child becomes ill... does not bring.. or attempt to bring a sick child...and..provided the child in question is not a dicipline problem in my group...... FRANKLY.. I don't care if the parents are working.. shopping.. studying... sleeping... or...having sex...
my day doesn't change with my little daycare customers... we have a great day together...

www.tammyschildcare.com
www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com

Texasjeepgirl 07:20 AM 12-23-2011
I didn't read your post till after I had typed and submitted mine....

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I provide a service. Parents have a right to buy that service. They can do whatever they wish if they are paying. I would NEVER choose a dayare that "told" me when and under what circumstances I was allowed to use those services. As a parent, what I do when I pay my child care provider to care for my child, is none of their business.

As a provider, to even ask what parents are doing and then thinking I have a right to have a say in what parents are doing while they pay me to watch their child is not ok. It is none of my business as long as I can reach the parent if needed.

We can say, the child's behavior effects us but in reality do we really know why a child is acting out? We can assume that it is because the child isn't spending enough quality time with the child, but come on, do we REALLY know that is the reason? Many parents do not know the importance of time or how to parent, or are simply doing the same thing that was done when they grew up. Many children do not know anything but being at daycare for every day of the week.

There are so many situations and reasons for why parents do what they do that I think it is really not fair for child care providers to vent about not having kids enrolled but then place limits on how and when the parents can use those services.

This subject always frustrates me because I am always surprised at the attitude of providers thinking it is our right or our business to dictate how a parent can use a service they paid for. I know many of you will disagree and that is ok because I guess we all are allowed to run our businesses how ever we choose.

This just happens to be one area, I choose NOT to even get into with parents. If I am open and they pay...they can go to Disneyland.. alone () for all I care.

momma2girls 07:22 AM 12-23-2011

I am afraid all my teachers would be dropping their children off everyday that they are off!! I have given all my teachers a disc. for Xmas, and Spring breaks, because of this. I have given them a bonus throughout the yr. and only charged them 1/2 the weekly rate. My Holidays this week and next are paid at reg. pay, then the other days, are 1/2 off. I have done this for 3 yrs. now(I have all teachers) it has worked very well!!
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
I didn't read your post till after I had typed and submitted mine....

No worries! We are on the same page so it doesn't hurt to have it said twice...
MamaBear 08:31 AM 12-23-2011
Polkatots: This drives me crazy too. I have one family that does this to me right now. The dad isn't working but just doesn't want to care for her during the day. He leaves her here till 5pm right when I close. I feel bad for the girl because she loves spending time with her dad, but he has straight out said that he can't stand spending a whole day with her. She's so sweet & quiet with me. They are trying to have another baby too which is ridiculous. Some people should not be allowed to reproduce.
AfterSchoolMom 09:55 AM 12-23-2011
In the past, when I have had SA's, parents would drop off as much as they possibly could during school breaks.

Then I just started closing, but not charging. I save money during the year to cover this. That way I get a break, but parents can't complain too much because they don't have to double pay and they have plenty of notice.

My advice, if it is really bothersome, is to just plan for holidays by taking off and not charging. Then on your day off, bar the door, post a huge sign, disable the doorbell, and have everyone in the family wear earplugs.
Reply Up