Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those That Charge More For Kids And Diapers
daycare 11:01 AM 01-04-2012
I am looking for some help....I am not looking for why I should not do it this way and etc.

My policy states that a child under two or still in diapers is charged 15$ more per week.

Once the child is potty trained, meaning that they are 100% independent in the bathroom, and no accidents for 2 weeks at care they are deemed potty trained and their rate drops.

My question is...If you deem some one potty trained and they do great for a month or so and then all of a sudden they are having accident again, how many accidents would you allow before you deem them back to NOT POTTY TRAINED.
Of course, if they have an accident in my home they go back into pull up.

I was thinking of stating that they have to be able to be accident free for one month before I will lower the rate??

Any advice.

Thank you in advance..
mismatchedsocks 11:07 AM 01-04-2012
I can imagine parents fighting over he is potty trained at home, etc. I charge in 3 age groups. 0-1 then 1-3 1/2 and 3 1/2 and up. I figure by 3 1/2 most kids have the potty down!
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 01-04-2012
I don't do this anymore but when I did, I stated that once a child is deemed potty trained, I would lower their rate to the potty trained rate after 60 days.

Potty trained to me at that time meant NO MORE than 2 accidents in that 60 days.

Hope that helps.
daycare 11:09 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't do this anymore but when I did, I stated that once a child is deemed potty trained, I would lower their rate to the potty trained rate after 60 days.

Potty trained to me at that time meant NO MORE than 2 accidents in that 60 days.

Hope that helps.
thanks for this advice.... This sounds like what I need to write in.

Also, can I now ask why you don't do it any more? Other than it lowers your income.

They way I see it, it is less work and stress for me.
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
thanks for this advice.... This sounds like what I need to write in.

Also, can I now ask why you don't do it any more? Other than it lowers your income.

They way I see it, it is less work and stress for me.
Well, I actually never made the change to stop charging more, I just stopped taking kids that weren't potty trained at all. I did that for several years and have now just recently started taking kids in diapers again.

I also raised my rates enough that I am comfy just charging one rate across the board for all ages.
daycare 11:52 AM 01-04-2012
Well, I actually never made the change to stop charging more, I just stopped taking kids that weren't potty trained at all. I did that for several years and have now just recently started taking kids in diapers again.

I also raised my rates enough that I am comfy just charging one rate across the board for all ages.
lol... Looks like you and I are in the same boat. For the last 2 years I have had no kids and diapers and now back to almost all of them in diapers/pull ups.

My rates for diapered kids are high, so I thought that I would not get that rate...Boy was I wrong... I filled up with a higher rate than most centers...... Even when the rate drops, I will still be at a raise for myself.

I think that I will do what you did with my next batch..... Which I hope is years to come....

Oh btw you wouldn't happen to have your policy in writing still would you??
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Oh btw you wouldn't happen to have your policy in writing still would you??
yep. I will see if I can dig it up. I save all my old policies and paperwork so I'll PM you with it as soon as I find it.
daycare 12:15 PM 01-04-2012
yep. I will see if I can dig it up. I save all my old policies and paperwork so I'll PM you with it as soon as I find it.
aahh that would save me from a headache on my B-day.... In fact that is what I am asking from you for my bday.....A very tall order.....lol

thanks so much!!!!!
wdmmom 12:18 PM 01-04-2012
I've considered charging a higher rate for children in diapers. Unfortunately, I think every parent would attempt potty training at 24 months and try to tell me when they consider them potty trained.

My idea of potty trained and a parent's idea of potty trained are far off the track.

My idea of potty trained is that the child is capable of TELLING me that he/she needs to use the potty and does so with little to no supervision. Not me taking them every hour on the hour and they dribble.
grandmom 02:14 PM 01-04-2012
I used to lower my rate once a child was toilet trained.

Then a mom came in on Monday with her child in underwear. It was the first of the month, her check was written out for the lower amount. He had never said the word potty, used a toilet, or showed an interest in one.

That policy chaged overnight. Lower rate is now at 3 years of age. And parents provide all diapers.
daycare 03:09 PM 01-04-2012
lol... funny what parents will do to pay less

I spell it our very very clearly.

I define what potty trained is. I have it on paper.

If their child is not able to complete all of the tasks that qualifies them as potty trained then they don't pass go. They do not collect $200.00

I keep a log of the potty training so that the parents can see when their kids has accidents. I also require that the child wears underwear first then pull up after. This way they know for sure that the child had an accident and that I am not making it up.

I used to have it if the child was accident free for 14 days straight, then at the start of the next month, the fee decreases.

I am going to change it to what blackcat suggested.
safechner 07:25 PM 01-04-2012
Daycare,
Tell you the truth, it is a bad idea to do this! I would charge a child with or without diapers the same rates no matter what.
bice99 10:03 PM 01-04-2012
I used to drop my rate at fully PT (one month accident free) AND at least 3 years old. So it was sort of like a preschool rate. Now I have one rate for 0-2, then they drop $5 per day but stay at that rate until they hit kindergarten.
daycare 01:04 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by safechner:
Daycare,
Tell you the truth, it is a bad idea to do this! I would charge a child with or without diapers the same rates no matter what.
Can you tell me why you feel it's a bad idea?
countrymom 04:56 AM 01-05-2012
I don't have different rates. I think there would be too much pushing on the potty training business on the the parents part. I know people charge less when they hit a certain age, but not about diapers. Can I ask why you charge more for diapers kids, esp. if the parents provide them. I just don't see the logic behind it. I think kids who are potty trained are more trouble, they can cause more damage in a bathroom than a diaper kid.
daycare 11:49 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I don't have different rates. I think there would be too much pushing on the potty training business on the the parents part. I know people charge less when they hit a certain age, but not about diapers. Can I ask why you charge more for diapers kids, esp. if the parents provide them. I just don't see the logic behind it. I think kids who are potty trained are more trouble, they can cause more damage in a bathroom than a diaper kid.
The reason that I charge more for children in diapers is because they require much more work than a child that is not. It is a lot more work on my time that gets taken away from the group as a whole.

When they are potty training, it's even more work than diapers.

It's a lot to explain with lots of reasons.

Also there is a lot more sanitation steps I need to take with children in diapers and potty training. Gloves, bleaching, special diaper trash cans, plastic bags to put diapers in, more time cleaning up all of the items used to change the children on.

While I am doing all of that in between each child again it takes away my attention from all of the kids.
Lol
Tags:charging, charging for diapers
Reply Up