Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to respond to dck
kitkat 01:05 PM 11-02-2015
Dcb is 3 yrs, 1 month; dcg is two months younger. Below is a very common thing that's happening and it's starting to drive me nuts.

Me: Dcb, please play with the toy gently.
Dcg: I play gently.

It goes on and on like this all day long, with both of them. I know this is normal, but I really need to curb this. How do you respond when dck do that sort of thing?
Play Care 01:55 PM 11-02-2015
I ignore it if possible. When it gets really bad (closer to 4) I'll look pointedly at the child and say "I'm speaking to Sally, go play"

That said - I try to evaluate if I'm giving the older child enough to positive attention. Sometimes before reminding DCB to play gently, maybe praise DCG for playing gently. I find that it's easy to get lost in the daily grind of child care (cook the meals, wash the dishes, changes the diapers, take out play doh, clean up play doh, get kids on the potty, clean up potty accident, get outside, get inside, etc etc etc - you get the gist ) that once I take a step back I realize I hardly said anything to the kids - I mean, sure, I issued reminders, directions, ultimatums () but I haven't really talked with the kids.

Hope this helps!
midaycare 07:04 PM 11-02-2015
I have one doing this now. It doesn't bug me - I usually just ignore. Although I have a zillion other things bugging me right now
Josiegirl 02:21 AM 11-03-2015
Change tactics maybe? Sit down and play gently with dcb instead of always verbally reminding him? Redirect him into doing something a little bit different with what he's doing? ie., if he's ramming cars everywhere, make a painting tape road for him to follow.
I don't know. Sometimes even we sound like repetitive robots to ourselves and we stop listening. Maybe he's stopped listening too. I'd say change tactics so you don't have to always say those words. Unless he's destructive or hurting others I'd model expected behavior.
kitkat 04:33 AM 11-03-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Change tactics maybe? Sit down and play gently with dcb instead of always verbally reminding him? Redirect him into doing something a little bit different with what he's doing? ie., if he's ramming cars everywhere, make a painting tape road for him to follow.
I don't know. Sometimes even we sound like repetitive robots to ourselves and we stop listening. Maybe he's stopped listening too. I'd say change tactics so you don't have to always say those words. Unless he's destructive or hurting others I'd model expected behavior.
It's not just when playing, it's EVERYTHING and both of them do it. I just used the playing gently as an example. I wish it were only playing gently because that would be so much easier to deal with I think it's more of a "Look at me, I'm doing it right."
daycare 05:56 AM 11-03-2015
Originally Posted by kitkat:
It's not just when playing, it's EVERYTHING and both of them do it. I just used the playing gently as an example. I wish it were only playing gently because that would be so much easier to deal with I think it's more of a "Look at me, I'm doing it right."
Only provide soft toys until he stops.
Josiegirl 04:05 PM 11-03-2015
Ok so the main issue is because dcg has to let it be known she's listening to the rules while dcb is not. Uh yeh, that would bug me too if she was doing it constantly.
I can picture if you start ignoring her saying that, then she'll end up not following the rules just to get your attention like dcb does. If you catch her doing things the right way before she tells you for the umpteenth time, that maybe eventually she'd stop having to announce it all the time?
Sorry, not enough brain power left tonight to be much help I guess. Kids can be such wonderful little people sometimes, then other times.....
kitykids3 05:42 PM 11-03-2015
Yeah I would look at myself to see if I am giving enough positive attention to dcg (and all the kids). I would try to give more positive attention unexpectedly (not when she points it out) but at the same time ignore those comments. Anytime I've done this the problem usually ceases within a couple weeks.
Reply Up