Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curious
MissAnn 10:50 AM 03-03-2016
What age (average) do your kids learn to write their names. For me it's usually 3-3.5 but this year just seems different. This is also a group which doesn't really draw even though we do a lot of fine motor and drawing activities. Just seems like kids are not as interested in pencil/crayon/pen activities. I want to blame it on iPads and not playing outside to develop the large motor skills first. I looked back at old pictures from a few years ago and the difference in detail and creativity is huge!
Miss A 10:59 AM 03-03-2016
There is a very big difference! My kids seem to get bored so fast when they are offered paper and crayons/markers/pencils.

I use dry erase markers and plastic page protectors with the child's name written in a faint grey so that they can begin to trace their name. We start at about 2.5, and some kids catch in quick. When I did 3's preschool, I had some kids who could write every child's name in the class just from practicing so much.
MissAnn 11:22 AM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
There is a very big difference! My kids seem to get bored so fast when they are offered paper and crayons/markers/pencils.

I use dry erase markers and plastic page protectors with the child's name written in a faint grey so that they can begin to trace their name. We start at about 2.5, and some kids catch in quick. When I did 3's preschool, I had some kids who could write every child's name in the class just from practicing so much.
Yes! I almost said I'm glad it's not just me.....but no, that is sad. What are we doing to our kids? I have a 3.5 year old girl who is really struggling writing her name. I know she is still young but with handwriting without tears I usually have them writing their names by then. She is not even close. I have an almost 5 year old who actually does write very well, but still scribbles. He finally made a person.....but was still in the arms coming out of the head stage.
Ariana 12:15 PM 03-03-2016
My own child knew how to write her name just before turning 4 but I only pushed it because of school. She was an amazing drawer though and has an awesome imagination! My other child just turned 3 and we just started letter and number recognition. For me playing is much more important.

I think kids are too supervised and controlled. No one lets their kids have markers and paper to do whatever they want with and everyone is so afraid of mess. I have had 18 monthers and two year olds come to me having never held a marker That is just wrong! I just let the kids do whatever they want. Even if I am thinking "holy lawd what a mess" I keep it to myself. They really need that time for fine motor skills and creativity.

When I worked in a centre we didn't start this kind of stuff until the kids were 4-4.5 but I am Canadian and I think our system is not the same. I hear that the USA is much more focused on academics and there is a lot more testing.
Miss A 12:19 PM 03-03-2016
The US is much more focused on Academics, but I believe it is because as soon as a parent can get their child into preschool they no longer need to 'parent' during the day, or pay for daycare. So much of childhood is no longer about allowing a child to be a child, but to learn as much as you can as soon as you can. I understand the need for education, but I also want kids to have fun, and to explore. Childhood is for role playing, experimenting with your environment, and learning about the world that the child finds themselves immersed in.
MissAnn 01:19 PM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My own child knew how to write her name just before turning 4 but I only pushed it because of school. She was an amazing drawer though and has an awesome imagination! My other child just turned 3 and we just started letter and number recognition. For me playing is much more important.

I think kids are too supervised and controlled. No one lets their kids have markers and paper to do whatever they want with and everyone is so afraid of mess. I have had 18 monthers and two year olds come to me having never held a marker That is just wrong! I just let the kids do whatever they want. Even if I am thinking "holy lawd what a mess" I keep it to myself. They really need that time for fine motor skills and creativity.

When I worked in a centre we didn't start this kind of stuff until the kids were 4-4.5 but I am Canadian and I think our system is not the same. I hear that the USA is much more focused on academics and there is a lot more testing.
My kids are learning through play and what interests them. I don't push. What I am noticing is a lack of desire to even draw. Drawing is easier on an iPad or computer.
Miss A 01:53 PM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
My kids are learning through play and what interests them. I don't push. What I am noticing is a lack of desire to even draw. Drawing is easier on an iPad or computer.
Oh, I was never insinuating that were a pusher, I was just stating what I believe childhood is. I think you and I would agree on many things, Miss Ann
kendallina 02:00 PM 03-03-2016
Yeh, a whole group that has a lack of interest in drawing or other creative forms would be a concern. I would step back from writing and drawing and go to activities that are really open ended and good for fine motor skills (playdough, clay, eye droppers, painting, geoboards, etc).

Age in which my group learns varies greatly. I have a lot of parents that try and push it before they're 3. I have a lot of parents that don't push it at all. Almost all of my kiddos just pick it up without me having to 'instruct' much about it. I don't see any need for children to learn to write their names until they're closer to kinder. But for those that don't get it by the time they're 4 years old, I do get a little more intensive with them.
Josiegirl 03:28 AM 03-05-2016
Oops forgot to reply to the original thoughts. IF children show an interest I pursue it. Usually at around 4ish. But it's always in a casual fun way. If we're playing outside I'll take sticks and make a letter, or draw one in the sand. If we're playing inside I find ways to do the same with materials we're playing with. I'm not a teacher. If they want to learn then great, we'll find ways to do it with fun and play at the same times so they'll start to recognize. If they ask, I'll give them markers and help. I'm here as an introduction, let's make circles, let's make lines, look you can make a balloon by putting those 2 together. Three straight lines make an A and that starts your name.
childcaremom 04:36 AM 03-05-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Oops forgot to reply to the original thoughts. IF children show an interest I pursue it. Usually at around 4ish. But it's always in a casual fun way. If we're playing outside I'll take sticks and make a letter, or draw one in the sand. If we're playing inside I find ways to do the same with materials we're playing with. I'm not a teacher. If they want to learn then great, we'll find ways to do it with fun and play at the same times so they'll start to recognize. If they ask, I'll give them markers and help. I'm here as an introduction, let's make circles, let's make lines, look you can make a balloon by putting those 2 together. Three straight lines make an A and that starts your name.
This is my philosophy, as well.
Tags:forms, milestones
Reply Up