Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Rid of Trucks
TwinMama 06:29 AM 10-27-2016
Are their toys that you feel are unnecessary to have around?

I think I might try getting rid of the toy trucks for a day to see if the kids are calmer. They push them as fast as they can no matter how many times I tell them to slow down.

We've had the kids trip and fly over the trucks. I don't allow running in my house anyhow. So I think that's their way of tip toeing over that rule.
midaycare 06:38 AM 10-27-2016
I have almost all boys, so that wouldn't work. But I have gotten rid of play tents. Too many tears. Also, dcks used to have full access to books. Not anymore. Too many ripped pages.
Baby Beluga 07:13 AM 10-27-2016
I would get rid of the trucks and when I re-introduced them I would allow them in one area only. A rug, or maybe tape off an area. That way the children can still play with the trucks, but they have less room to run all over with them. Maybe add some blocks, rocks, or other items they can build and scoop/dump with and call it your truck area.

I had to get rid of the shopping cart and baby doll stroller for the same reason. They would just run around the room with them. It was LOUD and children were getting hurt
Controlled Chaos 07:59 AM 10-27-2016
I cycle toys out a lot. Right now NOBODY is playing with animals or people. I will dissappear them for a week or two then bring them back with a new prop (box/barn/post office/etc). I rotate out the bigger trucks every 2 weeks or so, because I also have a big group of crazy racers. I take them away and leave only a few smaller cars that they use on the car rug. Then when I give them the big trucks back they have either a dumping area (right now its a huge tub of corn) or a specific track that the cars can only be used on.

https://www.amazon.com/Inroad-Toys-C...ords=road+tape This is my new favorite thing. I put it on the floor in different patterns and it really focuses the kids truck play to one area. It come off the floor pretty easy when you pull it up, but lasts me about a month of hard play.

I'm not sure what I consider unnecessary...I don't have a lot of "nature" toys by QRIS standards but we go outside a lot, so it seems silly to me to have a box of pinecones outside when we will play with them outside
Blackcat31 08:04 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
Are their toys that you feel are unnecessary to have around?

I think I might try getting rid of the toy trucks for a day to see if the kids are calmer. They push them as fast as they can no matter how many times I tell them to slow down.

We've had the kids trip and fly over the trucks. I don't allow running in my house anyhow. So I think that's their way of tip toeing over that rule.
Change HOW they are allowed to play with the trucks.

One handed floor play only.
It completely eliminates the issues you are having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LyRILn4gQ
Pestle 09:02 AM 10-27-2016
I've unfortunately had to remove all small manipulatives, due to my 19mo dkb who explores things by seeing if they'll snap in half. (Yes. Yes, they will.) I've also had to remove all push toys, because he rams them into the other kids at full speed.
daycarediva 09:27 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I would get rid of the trucks and when I re-introduced them I would allow them in one area only. A rug, or maybe tape off an area. That way the children can still play with the trucks, but they have less room to run all over with them. Maybe add some blocks, rocks, or other items they can build and scoop/dump with and call it your truck area.

I had to get rid of the shopping cart and baby doll stroller for the same reason. They would just run around the room with them. It was LOUD and children were getting hurt
Trucks are allowed on one large area rug only. I eliminated all large trucks years ago because of the pushing/smashing into kids/furniture/walls.

I don't always leave them out, either. They get rotated.
MissAnn 11:11 AM 10-27-2016
I hated duplos until I started having the kids do all activities at a table. Now I love them! I detest rulers and prisms.
MarinaVanessa 11:28 AM 10-27-2016
I removed any all battery operated toys permanently. Too much noise and I really want the kids using their imagination. Either I remove the batteries or the toy gets removed altogether.

Other than that any toys that don't get used appropriately will get removed and put away for a week or two. When I reintroduce them I will go through a lesson about the proper of way to use them. Rinse and repeat a couple of times and if the toy seems to cause too much trouble then I'll remove it for a few months and try later.

The trains were causing a lot of issues with a previous DCK that had some developmental challenges so I put them away and didn't bring them out again until after his last day here. It was just not working out.
Hunni Bee 11:50 AM 10-27-2016
I have rules about how things are to be played with, and I get so annoying about it they either play with it appropriately or leave it alone to avoid my irritating sing-song and demonstration on how to play with it

I also will prohibit certain kids from playing with certain toys rather than remove it completely, unless it's an issue for the majority. Seeing other kids getting to play with it helps them get their act together quickly. I have a cozy cave type thing filled with pillows and blankets and lovies, and only about half of my kids get to use it right now because of repeated horseplay.
Pepperth 12:09 PM 10-27-2016
I couldn't get rid of trucks as they are my most played with toy. I did have to institute a rule where they are not allowed to play with trucks while on their feet, only on their knees.
renodeb 03:42 PM 10-27-2016
There are a few toys that I could do with out. I have a set of plastic blocks (there to hard to stack) that I think Im ready to take out of the mix. Battery op toys that play music just sit on the shelf. Time to sift through my toys again. Trucks are a must when I have an older group. As far as books I dont have any out that are paper, just board books due to the ages I have now.
Deb
Unregistered 04:16 PM 10-27-2016
I too have the rule that kids must sit and play with trucks. I'm firm, they listen generally. They are never allowed to run behind them.
TwinMama 08:01 AM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

Brilliant!!!!
kendallina 10:26 AM 10-28-2016
Big trucks are outside toys here. Wet have smaller trucks and lots of cars inside, but everything gets rotated. If a toy isn't working, take it out for a while (or forever), they'll find something else to do.
TwinMama 12:56 PM 10-28-2016
I really love these ideas. Thank you! You know....sometimes I feel like I'm being a stickler, but there's no reason they need to be crazy with the toys. They won't let them be that way in school so they need to learn at my house.

It's even more frustrating when it appears as though they don't have limits at their own home.
TwinMama 02:04 PM 10-28-2016
The funny thing is that none of the kids said anything. They played with toys that they haven't played with in a long time. It was cool.
Tags:toy - trucks, toys
Reply Up