Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Date Night Ratio?
earlystart 08:51 PM 09-24-2012
Does anyone know the rules in California about doing a date night after my daycare hours? How many children can I watch? Can I accept children who are not enrolled in my program (siblings, neighborhood kids, etc)?

Has anyone done this before, if so, how did you go about doing it, did you even ask licensing, or did you just do it under the table?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Meeko 09:03 AM 09-26-2012
Dont know about CA.

But in Utah, it wouldn't matter. Unless you are doing it every other night for pay on an ongoing basis,,,then it's only sporadic and a license is not even needed.

In our state you can watch 4 kids regularly without being licensed.

But let's say a mom decided to tend 20 kids while their parents all go to a church function...she doesn't need to be licensed or need permission from anyone. Because that is sporadic/temporary and there is no need for licensing to be involved.

From our regs:

R430-90-3. License Required.

The Department does not license, nor is a license required for:
(a) a person who cares for related children only; or
(b) a person who provides care on a sporadic basis only.

I have done daycare for 27 years and stick to ratios like glue during the work day. I have done parents nights in the past (about once a month) and was happy to welcome everyone...siblings etc. ratios didn't count because it was on my time and sporadic only.
Crystal 12:26 PM 09-26-2012
In California you MUST follow licensing regulations, even for "date night". If you accept children who are not enrolled in your program, you still need to complete all paperwork, just as you would when enrolling a child. All ratio requirements apply as well.
Meeko 01:27 PM 09-26-2012
This is why I love the forum!

Each state is different and it's nice to get input from others on certain topics.

If I was to ever move back to CA (never gonna happen..been there...done that...no thanks...no offense intended...!) I would know that rules are different.

By the way...I gave up doing a parent night years ago as I was getting taken advantage of. I did it 7-11PM on a night of my choosing and did not charge for it. It was my way of saying thanks to loyal clients. But it backfired on me!

Too many parents were constantly late. They gave me all kinds of excuses about losing track of time, the movie got out later than they thought, their friends wanted to stay longer at the restaurant etc etc. Parents that were very good about regular daycare hours, were terrible on late nights! For some reason they seemed to feel that because I wasn't charging them, that there were no rules! I had people roll up at 11:30 with big grins and "sorry!" fully expecting me to say "No problem!"

Some were really mad at me when I quit doing it...as if I owed it to them regardless. I was doing it for free and they couldn't be grateful so I quit doing it.
daycare 01:28 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
In California you MUST follow licensing regulations, even for "date night". If you accept children who are not enrolled in your program, you still need to complete all paperwork, just as you would when enrolling a child. All ratio requirements apply as well.
Im in CA crystal is spot on!!!
earlystart 09:43 PM 09-26-2012
Thank you so much! I had a feeling the same rules would apply, but I've heard of people doing otherwise (even licensed centers), whose excuse was that it's after hours so it doesn't matter.

Guess I'll be revising my date night plans to be the first 6 who sign up can go, and I'll need all paperwork/immunization records for siblings
daycare 09:54 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by earlystart:
Thank you so much! I had a feeling the same rules would apply, but I've heard of people doing otherwise (even licensed centers), whose excuse was that it's after hours so it doesn't matter.

Guess I'll be revising my date night plans to be the first 6 who sign up can go, and I'll need all paperwork/immunization records for siblings
This I what I do. Even thought I have a large LiC. I don't want a house full so I take the first 5 to sign up and I leave it open for 3 days for them to sign up. After the 3rd day your Sol

Also to be fair. If the same families are always getting to come but not others I will bump them off and let families that never get to come sign up.

One thing you need to make clear is your hours you are offering. I do it for free for 3.5 hours. At a set time, but If you come before or stay later I will charge $10 an hour per child.
Reply Up