Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2020, 11:45 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,599
Default COVID-19 and Itís Potential Spread in the Childcare Setting

Hereís a new report from the CDC where Children aged ≥10 years have been shown to transmit SARS-CoV-2 in school settings.

Children transmit coronavirus to their family members following exposure at child care facilities, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937e3.htm
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2020, 01:35 PM
springvalley112's Avatar
springvalley112 springvalley112 is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 447
Default

They had an article about this on my local news app and people commented and said it was the most stupidest thing they've ever saw because they said that it was common sense and criticized the news people for posting such an article
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,935
Default

Come on, November.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:31 AM
Mariposa's Avatar
Mariposa Mariposa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Anonymous
Posts: 92
Default

Not surprised. We have known kids are less likely to show symptoms. We know clustering spreads it like wildfire.

I had an inquiry for a preschooler a couppe of days ago-and I have nobody enrolled so I would really love clients-and aside from a couple of other possible red flags anyway, she mentioned her daughter attending the special ed preschool. I said I am not taking kids going to dual preschools during covid.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

One of my DCM's called yesterday and said her oldest child was needing to be picked up from school because someone in the child's class tested positive for COVID-19.

No symptoms from my understanding and no idea why they were even tested but they sent the entire class home and aren't allowing them to return for 2 weeks.

Odd thing is IMHO, they only sent that child's class home, NOT the other classes. It's a K- 5th grade school with 3+ classrooms for each grade level but ONLY this child's class is being quarantined/excluded none of the other grades or classrooms.

Thankfully my DCM is super proactive and is bringing her youngest who attend daycare here in to be tested before returning here. I appreciate that she understands the risks and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep peace of mind for everyone.

I think it helps that she is also a small business owner herself and does NOT want to have to shut down her business any more than I do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:30 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
One of my DCM's called yesterday and said her oldest child was needing to be picked up from school because someone in the child's class tested positive for COVID-19.

No symptoms from my understanding and no idea why they were even tested but they sent the entire class home and aren't allowing them to return for 2 weeks.

Odd thing is IMHO, they only sent that child's class home, NOT the other classes. It's a K- 5th grade school with 3+ classrooms for each grade level but ONLY this child's class is being quarantined/excluded none of the other grades or classrooms.

Thankfully my DCM is super proactive and is bringing her youngest who attend daycare here in to be tested before returning here. I appreciate that she understands the risks and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep peace of mind for everyone.

I think it helps that she is also a small business owner herself and does NOT want to have to shut down her business any more than I do.
Hopefully, her older child will be ok and your dc child will test negative. How are YOU feeling about the news?

I know in our case, the board of health nurse only wanted the names of kids/parents who were in close contact with the child who tested positive. Close contact was defined as having spent more than 15 minutes with and less than 6' from the child. They also had to be in my care with the child during the 2 days prior to the child showing symptoms. They must have determined that the student in other classes didn't meet the criteria for being in close contact. Even though the child who tested positive was in my home, I'm the only one in my family who had contact with him so while I have to quarantine, my family members don't have to unless I come down with symptoms.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
One of my DCM's called yesterday and said her oldest child was needing to be picked up from school because someone in the child's class tested positive for COVID-19.

No symptoms from my understanding and no idea why they were even tested but they sent the entire class home and aren't allowing them to return for 2 weeks.

Odd thing is IMHO, they only sent that child's class home, NOT the other classes. It's a K- 5th grade school with 3+ classrooms for each grade level but ONLY this child's class is being quarantined/excluded none of the other grades or classrooms.

Thankfully my DCM is super proactive and is bringing her youngest who attend daycare here in to be tested before returning here. I appreciate that she understands the risks and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep peace of mind for everyone.

I think it helps that she is also a small business owner herself and does NOT want to have to shut down her business any more than I do.
This is how they are doing it here, too. Let me know how it plays out. Our schools have went from attending two days to attending four days this week...I'm anxious to see how this plays out.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Hopefully, her older child will be ok and your dc child will test negative. How are YOU feeling about the news?
I dunno....Im hating the fact that there is such a process to deciding things now... What's right, wrong thing to do....

I am playing it by ear I guess and just making sure all my families know that ANY/ALL symptoms equates to exclusion.

I don't care what they say the root cause it...none of them (except one..lol!) are doctors so unless COVID is actually ruled out, the root cause is simply a guessing game.

Better safe than sorry.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
This is how they are doing it here, too. Let me know how it plays out. Our schools have went from attending two days to attending four days this week...I'm anxious to see how this plays out.
The school said that they are following all safe protocols so the likelihood of the case spreading is low. The kids are all required to wear masks, rotate using large rooms such as gyms/cafeterias etc... washing hands, using hand sanitizer and excluding any one with ANY symptoms so crossing my fingers it helps.

I'll keep you posted as to how it plays out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2020, 04:29 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't care what they say the root cause it...none of them (except one..lol!) are doctors so unless COVID is actually ruled out, the root cause is simply a guessing game.

Better safe than sorry.
I agree! The situation we have here began with one child who developed a fever and cough during the night. That child was called out sick the next day and subsequently was tested. The results were negative so we all relaxed. Within a day or so, all of the kids had fever and coughs. All were tested and their tests came up negative, too. The last child to develop symptoms - a cough but no fever - got tested out of an abundance of caution. That's the child whose test came back positive! You never know!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:50 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I agree! The situation we have here began with one child who developed a fever and cough during the night. That child was called out sick the next day and subsequently was tested. The results were negative so we all relaxed. Within a day or so, all of the kids had fever and coughs. All were tested and their tests came up negative, too. The last child to develop symptoms - a cough but no fever - got tested out of an abundance of caution. That's the child whose test came back positive! You never know!
Exactly, you never know! I just KNEW my sisinlaw did NOT have it. Her temp was 101 and the temp to look for is 100.4. I have three nurses as clients and all of them said she DOES NOT have it, cause her temp is too high. She even tested positive for the flu as well so we just KNEW the covid test would be negative but it was positive and I was so glad I closed awaiting the results....it caused me some ulcers dealing with clients but 'it is what it is' and it was out of my control.

Until the government changes protocol, I cringe at the word covid. I sense the state is pulling away from the "help-assistance" and that scares me because the 14-24 day quarantine depending on the situation is still in place. Maybe that protocol will change with the election, I don't know. I kind of hope it does because worrying about closing your business is not fun!!! Maybe they will treat it like the flu....I don't know!

I do agree with the article and it makes sense, but still cringe at the thought of that as I will have to close for long lengths of time as of right now...I do feel that will change, though, and become less worrisome or so I hope it does!

We are told here the school choice of remote or in-person will become the new normal. I think covid has forever changed school, work-place, child care, colleges, etc. My brother works for a large insurance company and he flies all over the southeast US but he has been home since March and his company has saved so much money and have learned it works and the employees like it so it will remain in large part in that format with a few tweaks.

Look at NAFCC, the national conference was on a zoom format. Look at our licensing visits being virtual since March and it works. Look at the training/workshops that multiple child care personnel have been a part of.

Right or wrong, I see it remaining in large part?? AND I am so excited QRIS has been changed forever...the best thing yet.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:24 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Maybe that protocol will change with the election, I don't know. I kind of hope it does because worrying about closing your business is not fun!!! Maybe they will treat it like the flu....I don't know! \
I think it's going to be quite a while before we can treat this virus like the flu and before protocol can change. I'm ok with closing when I need to but I am concerned that it may become financially impossible to stay in business if I have to close too often this fall/winter.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:47 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I think it's going to be quite a while before we can treat this virus like the flu and before protocol can change. I'm ok with closing when I need to but I am concerned that it may become financially impossible to stay in business if I have to close too often this fall/winter.
I agree!

I have closed twice for fourteen days and once for a few days waiting on dh covid test which was negative.

There have been grants in place up to this point to pay child care providers or reimburse clients if they paid in advance during the closing but these grants end at the end of this month and clients/providers know what CAN happen with just the word "covid" so it is a gamble every day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Gemma's Avatar
Gemma Gemma is online now
Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
I have closed twice for fourteen days and once for a few days waiting on dh covid test which was negative.
Do parents bring you the test result, or do you just take their word for it?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2020, 11:26 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Do parents bring you the test result, or do you just take their word for it?
I closed due to my own family members having covid. No enrolled families have been positive thus far.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-19-2020, 07:27 AM
MsJen's Avatar
MsJen MsJen is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Default Siblings at dayhome, and sickness policy

If a child is home sick with covid symptoms and requires a covid test do you allow their sibling (with no symptoms) to come to dayhome?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-19-2020, 09:53 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJen View Post
If a child is home sick with covid symptoms and requires a covid test do you allow their sibling (with no symptoms) to come to dayhome?
No - at least not until the sick child is tested and found to be negative for COVID. Since you don't know yet if the sick child has COVID or not, the assumption has to be that he is positive and that the sibling has been exposed. It's my understanding that the sibling should be quarantined and not at day care. If the child who is sick tests positive, the sibling would have to quarantine for 14 days from the date of last exposure. If the child who is sick tests negative, then you can take the sibling back into care, assuming he has no symptoms.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-19-2020, 10:01 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Do parents bring you the test result, or do you just take their word for it?
I may be jaded after doing day care for as long as I have been doing it but I would require a note from the doctor stating he was tested and the results were negative.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I may be jaded after doing day care for as long as I have been doing it but I would require a note from the doctor stating he was tested and the results were negative.
This. My kid had mono recently! Everyone freaked "OMG COVID" because she also had a small cold at the same time. I don't even allow testing for Covid UNLESS there is literally NO other diagnosis/explanation for symptoms. All respiratory illnesses resemble each other, so it is hard to say. A note is reasonable so that if it is a different diagnosis, then we are being fair about how to proceed.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-22-2020, 05:06 PM
satcook's Avatar
satcook satcook is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 70
Default

We have to keep rewriting our covid protocols as it seems like they keep changing.

We had a teacher whose husband got tested because he called into work sick and they required a test before he could return. We let her continue to come to work as our previous policy had said a doctor had to order the test and his was randomly ordered by work. He got tested Monday and got positive results on wednesday. We sent her home and informed all the parents. Most of them wanted her to get a test so we sent her for one. She had no symptoms but did receive a positve result on Monday. We had to report to the health department and they required us to quarantine anyone who had close contact with her 2 days before the test. 12 kids and 1 teacher are now in quarantine and parents are not happy.

We had to update our COVID protocols to say that if any family member is getting a test you must stay home until you receive the results.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2020, 07:00 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This. My kid had mono recently! Everyone freaked "OMG COVID" because she also had a small cold at the same time. I don't even allow testing for Covid UNLESS there is literally NO other diagnosis/explanation for symptoms. All respiratory illnesses resemble each other, so it is hard to say. A note is reasonable so that if it is a different diagnosis, then we are being fair about how to proceed.
I would not have allowed attendance even with a doctors note for active cold symptoms and positive mono.

Fever/symptom free, without medication, for a minimum 48 hours would be my requirement.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-23-2020, 07:08 AM
springvalley112's Avatar
springvalley112 springvalley112 is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcook View Post
We have to keep rewriting our covid protocols as it seems like they keep changing.

We had a teacher whose husband got tested because he called into work sick and they required a test before he could return. We let her continue to come to work as our previous policy had said a doctor had to order the test and his was randomly ordered by work. He got tested Monday and got positive results on wednesday. We sent her home and informed all the parents. Most of them wanted her to get a test so we sent her for one. She had no symptoms but did receive a positve result on Monday. We had to report to the health department and they required us to quarantine anyone who had close contact with her 2 days before the test. 12 kids and 1 teacher are now in quarantine and parents are not happy.

We had to update our COVID protocols to say that if any family member is getting a test you must stay home until you receive the results.
If I were a parent and I found out that a provider had someone in their household test positive for covid and my child had been around them, I wouldn't be happy either!!! Why did she not quartine when he was waiting for test results?????
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-30-2020, 11:56 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

A DCD just tested positive.
I’ve had no direct contact with him as mom does all drop offs/pick ups.
They have two full time kids (age 1 and 3) here
Now I am nervous....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-30-2020, 11:59 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
A DCD just tested positive.
Iíve had no direct contact with him as mom does all drop offs/pick ups.
They have two full time kids (age 1 and 3) here
Now I am nervous....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-30-2020, 01:47 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
A DCD just tested positive.
Iíve had no direct contact with him as mom does all drop offs/pick ups.
They have two full time kids (age 1 and 3) here
Now I am nervous....
I'm sorry; I remember you saying this was one of your greatest fears. I hope the fact that dcm does the drop off and pick ups will be enough to keep you and the others from getting the virus. I'm returning the favor and will keep you in my prayers. Has dcm been tested yet?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-30-2020, 02:02 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I'm sorry; I remember you saying this was one of your greatest fears. I hope the fact that dcm does the drop off and pick ups will be enough to keep you and the others from getting the virus. I'm returning the favor and will keep you in my prayers. Has dcm been tested yet?
Thank you!

Yes DCM got tested immediately after her DH's results came back as positive. She is a nurse practioner so I am hoping/praying she continues to take the precautions she knows. I am concerned about whether or not she is planning to have the kids tested or not. If not, I worry they could potentially become infected while they are all in quarantine and then return to care after the 14 days and give it to others.

I am debating on "requiring" a test before readmittance. Not sure how effective or helpful that is/isn't. I am just more anxious about this now that it seems to be getting awfully close to my own family.

The DCK sibling I previously mentioned that got sent home from school with a high temp was tested and found not to have it so that was good!

Thank you for the prayers... my DH is freaking out so they are definitely needed.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-30-2020, 02:21 PM
Valerie928's Avatar
Valerie928 Valerie928 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
A DCD just tested positive.
Iíve had no direct contact with him as mom does all drop offs/pick ups.
They have two full time kids (age 1 and 3) here
Now I am nervous....
Prayers to you and your family BC. This is a scary time and things just don't seem to be getting better.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-30-2020, 02:23 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie928 View Post
Prayers to you and your family BC. This is a scary time and things just don't seem to be getting better.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Reimel61's Avatar
Reimel61 Reimel61 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Thank you!

Yes DCM got tested immediately after her DH's results came back as positive. She is a nurse practioner so I am hoping/praying she continues to take the precautions she knows. I am concerned about whether or not she is planning to have the kids tested or not. If not, I worry they could potentially become infected while they are all in quarantine and then return to care after the 14 days and give it to others.

I am debating on "requiring" a test before readmittance. Not sure how effective or helpful that is/isn't. I am just more anxious about this now that it seems to be getting awfully close to my own family.

The DCK sibling I previously mentioned that got sent home from school with a high temp was tested and found not to have it so that was good!

Thank you for the prayers... my DH is freaking out so they are definitely needed.
I was told by my county health department if my husband contracted the virus that I would have to wait until his 14 days of quarantine is up. Then my 14 day quarantine begins. So were talking about possibly 28 days. So I would think in this situation the children would have to wait until the end of the parents quarantine time (14 days) and then the children's 14 day quarantine begins. Reason being is you don't know when the children might possibly contract the virus during the parents quarantine period.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-01-2020, 03:10 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimel61 View Post
I was told by my county health department if my husband contracted the virus that I would have to wait until his 14 days of quarantine is up. Then my 14 day quarantine begins. So were talking about possibly 28 days. So I would think in this situation the children would have to wait until the end of the parents quarantine time (14 days) and then the children's 14 day quarantine begins. Reason being is you don't know when the children might possibly contract the virus during the parents quarantine period.
That makes sense but it's not how our department of health outlines how it works.

The whole family is suppose to quarantine for 14 days and the parent with COVID is suppose to isolate themselves from the rest of the family for those 14 days as well.

I am calmer now and not as freaked out but still it's such a scary situation and being that no one really knows exactly how to handle it, it makes the anxiety lever rise for sure.

On a good note, the first thing the DCM did last night was Zelle me the payment that covers the 14 days of quarantine.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Gemma's Avatar
Gemma Gemma is online now
Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
A DCD just tested positive.
Iíve had no direct contact with him as mom does all drop offs/pick ups.
They have two full time kids (age 1 and 3) here
Now I am nervous....
Stay safe!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-03-2020, 02:55 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Thank you!

Yes DCM got tested immediately after her DH's results came back as positive. She is a nurse practioner so I am hoping/praying she continues to take the precautions she knows. I am concerned about whether or not she is planning to have the kids tested or not. If not, I worry they could potentially become infected while they are all in quarantine and then return to care after the 14 days and give it to others.

I am debating on "requiring" a test before readmittance. Not sure how effective or helpful that is/isn't. I am just more anxious about this now that it seems to be getting awfully close to my own family.

The DCK sibling I previously mentioned that got sent home from school with a high temp was tested and found not to have it so that was good!

Thank you for the prayers... my DH is freaking out so they are definitely needed.
Just seeing this. Stay safe!!! It's all so scary indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-05-2020, 08:14 AM
satcook's Avatar
satcook satcook is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by springvalley112 View Post
If I were a parent and I found out that a provider had someone in their household test positive for covid and my child had been around them, I wouldn't be happy either!!! Why did she not quartine when he was waiting for test results?????
Because that wasn't our policy. Now it is. :-).
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-05-2020, 08:17 PM
dolores's Avatar
dolores dolores is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Default

DCM who is a teacher called me today to say a student in her class tested positive and she was on her way to pick up her son to go get tested. She and son have no symptoms but we know that means nothing. I immediately called DOH to find out if to inform DCPs, close while we wait for results, etc. Well, DOH took my information to 'submit my inquiry' and said someone would call me back to advise...huh ? I told them I needed to know now which got me nowhere. So I wait. The emotional roller coaster is destabilizing. Sighhhh...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-06-2020, 02:38 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolores View Post
DCM who is a teacher called me today to say a student in her class tested positive and she was on her way to pick up her son to go get tested. She and son have no symptoms but we know that means nothing. I immediately called DOH to find out if to inform DCPs, close while we wait for results, etc. Well, DOH took my information to 'submit my inquiry' and said someone would call me back to advise...huh ? I told them I needed to know now which got me nowhere. So I wait. The emotional roller coaster is destabilizing. Sighhhh...
I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully you were able to get a reply from the DOH by now. Did DCM get her results back yet?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-06-2020, 07:03 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,252
Default

I wish, as a business, those affected (kids or staff) could be tested and move on with the business if the test is negative rather than a mandated 14-24 day shutdown due to close contact depending on the situation.

The testing might close our business 1-4 days max, but at least that is tolerable....then the covid-positive child or staff could stay home 10-14 days depending on the situation.

I am in hopes this happens soon and I'm "feeling" it will which will loosen up some "hardships" placed on business especially daycares/schools.

Plus, I feel there is no conclusive way to determine the spread as it can be sporadic at times.

Also, I'm tired of living in fear of losing my livelihood....not afraid of dying (don't wanna get it) but am not afraid of dying and it has no relation to me not having faith as I would not stand in the road and expect a car not to hit me....but I will continue to mask as needed and other measures to fight germs.

Just my thoughts as I watched some politics today and I feel it is coming to what I'm hoping for.

So tired of worrying about someone in my own family or a daycare kid getting covid and me having to shut down.

I'm rambling with my feelings/thoughts tonight but needed to get it out.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-07-2020, 05:43 AM
Second Home's Avatar
Second Home Second Home is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,567
Default

Every week I see a few home daycares or centers having to close due to covid . Whether it's an infected parent , child or provider.
Once a daycare is shut down for the 2 weeks (or a negative test) most parents are scrambling to find other care and not quarantining as required.
Providers have asked for the state to keep a list so we can see what daycares are affected and be able to make informed decisions about accepting new children into care . We were told no .
Providers are now letting other providers know of positive cases as they are being temporarily shut down so they don't accept children who should not be in care .
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-07-2020, 06:01 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolores View Post
DCM who is a teacher called me today to say a student in her class tested positive and she was on her way to pick up her son to go get tested. She and son have no symptoms but we know that means nothing. I immediately called DOH to find out if to inform DCPs, close while we wait for results, etc. Well, DOH took my information to 'submit my inquiry' and said someone would call me back to advise...huh ? I told them I needed to know now which got me nowhere. So I wait. The emotional roller coaster is destabilizing. Sighhhh...
How are you holding up? Were you able to find out any info from the DOH in regards to what your next steps should be?

It's so unsettling the way this whole thing is playing out.

I am sooooo nervous about my DCK's returning. The DCM is kind of frustrated with the length of the required quarantine/isolation but thankfully my state's DOH and my licensor made communication with parents in regards to protocols something the parents can't really get mad at us for.

The info they've provided has made it clear that it's not up to providers how long the kids are excluded so parents can't really try and negotiate with us. I don't have issues with that but I imagine it's a load off for providers that do struggle with parent confrontation.

Technically my DCM and DCD are out of quarantine Sunday (10/11) but now since they were both positive and they had close contact with their kids, the kids start their 14 day quarantine the day after the parent's quarantine ends.

I struggled with feeling bad the parents had to continue paying for care for so long (28 days total) for this but I've since come to realize that while it does seem long, it is for everyone's sake AND I wasn't the one that made the decision to travel out of state for a large "close" gathering.... soooo.

I just hope and pray everyone is able to get past all this and we can get back to living life. I know it won't be the old normal but I'd like some type of consistency and routine that is more comforting that what we all have happening now.

to all of you dealing with this in one way or another!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-07-2020, 06:09 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
I wish, as a business, those affected (kids or staff) could be tested and move on with the business if the test is negative rather than a mandated 14-24 day shutdown due to close contact depending on the situation.

The testing might close our business 1-4 days max, but at least that is tolerable....then the covid-positive child or staff could stay home 10-14 days depending on the situation.

I am in hopes this happens soon and I'm "feeling" it will which will loosen up some "hardships" placed on business especially daycares/schools.

Plus, I feel there is no conclusive way to determine the spread as it can be sporadic at times.

Also, I'm tired of living in fear of losing my livelihood....not afraid of dying (don't wanna get it) but am not afraid of dying and it has no relation to me not having faith as I would not stand in the road and expect a car not to hit me....but I will continue to mask as needed and other measures to fight germs.

Just my thoughts as I watched some politics today and I feel it is coming to what I'm hoping for.

So tired of worrying about someone in my own family or a daycare kid getting covid and me having to shut down.

I'm rambling with my feelings/thoughts tonight but needed to get it out.
I totally hear what your are saying!

I am not scared of dying or any of that... I am scared for the mental health of my family and myself.
I am worried about some idiot not caring and passing it to my DH. Or some parent sending their kid not caring about others causing me to have to close etc...

I feel like we (general we as providers) are trying to do the best we can and yet so many parents still only care about themselves and if they'll continue having care.

I have a family that is concerned their child might get it since the parents in one of my DC families has it yet the worried parent has no issues traveling outside our community or enrolling their child in every extra curricular activity available right now. They want to point the finger to others but take zero responsibility themselves.

You know...normal selfish parent behaviors...guess even COVID isn't enough to make them step back and ask what they can do to be part of the solution instead part of the blame train.

Catastrophes, pandemics etc... these are times in which people should come together and work together for the betterment of ALL people but the same entitled selfish behavior is so evident in so many that it's sad....

....and like always, those that care and are concerned get the short end of it all.

So I hear your rambling thoughts Annalee and am right there with you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-07-2020, 06:45 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I totally hear what your are saying!

I am not scared of dying or any of that... I am scared for the mental health of my family and myself.
I am worried about some idiot not caring and passing it to my DH. Or some parent sending their kid not caring about others causing me to have to close etc...

I feel like we (general we as providers) are trying to do the best we can and yet so many parents still only care about themselves and if they'll continue having care.

I have a family that is concerned their child might get it since the parents in one of my DC families has it yet the worried parent has no issues traveling outside our community or enrolling their child in every extra curricular activity available right now. They want to point the finger to others but take zero responsibility themselves.

You know...normal selfish parent behaviors...guess even COVID isn't enough to make them step back and ask what they can do to be part of the solution instead part of the blame train.

Catastrophes, pandemics etc... these are times in which people should come together and work together for the betterment of ALL people but the same entitled selfish behavior is so evident in so many that it's sad....

....and like always, those that care and are concerned get the short end of it all.

So I hear your rambling thoughts Annalee and am right there with you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-07-2020, 01:18 PM
dolores's Avatar
dolores dolores is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully you were able to get a reply from the DOH by now. Did DCM get her results back yet?
Nope. DOH has not returned my call yet .
DCM and family tested negative with nose swab and are awaiting results from 'standard tests'. She was told she can return to the classroom on 10/16 which is 14 days since she last had contact with positive student so DCB will return to me then.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-07-2020, 02:26 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolores View Post
Nope. DOH has not returned my call yet .
DCM and family tested negative with nose swab and are awaiting results from 'standard tests'. She was told she can return to the classroom on 10/16 which is 14 days since she last had contact with positive student so DCB will return to me then.
That's so frustrating! The nurse covering my town didn't get back to me until after the last day of quarantine (14 days later) and then told me I only had to close for 5 days - not the full 14. Thank goodness the child who tested positive lives in the next town. That town's BOH nurse handled everything and was so helpful answering the questions I couldn't get answered by my own town's BOH.

I hope the fact DCM tested negative helps put your mind at ease at least as much as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-07-2020, 03:01 PM
dolores's Avatar
dolores dolores is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
How are you holding up? Were you able to find out any info from the DOH in regards to what your next steps should be?

It's so unsettling the way this whole thing is playing out.

I am sooooo nervous about my DCK's returning. The DCM is kind of frustrated with the length of the required quarantine/isolation but thankfully my state's DOH and my licensor made communication with parents in regards to protocols something the parents can't really get mad at us for.

The info they've provided has made it clear that it's not up to providers how long the kids are excluded so parents can't really try and negotiate with us. I don't have issues with that but I imagine it's a load off for providers that do struggle with parent confrontation.

Technically my DCM and DCD are out of quarantine Sunday (10/11) but now since they were both positive and they had close contact with their kids, the kids start their 14 day quarantine the day after the parent's quarantine ends.

I struggled with feeling bad the parents had to continue paying for care for so long (28 days total) for this but I've since come to realize that while it does seem long, it is for everyone's sake AND I wasn't the one that made the decision to travel out of state for a large "close" gathering.... soooo.

I just hope and pray everyone is able to get past all this and we can get back to living life. I know it won't be the old normal but I'd like some type of consistency and routine that is more comforting that what we all have happening now.

to all of you dealing with this in one way or another!
Thanks for asking, and I read your story...oooph ! At least your licensor and DOH got involved which makes a huge difference as it removes the onus from you to interpret and communicate their policies to families as well as get instructions on what to do with your business.

No such luck for me. DOH, 3 days later, has not called me back. Their non-responsiveness is sooooo frustrating!

I'm not a wreck as I was when I got DCM's first call, as it looks to be working out. DCM and family got nose swab which was negative.They are waiting on results from the standard test. Entire family is quarantining for 14 days.

Meanwhile, schools and nonessential businesses are being shut down in zip codes around me because people are not following guidelines. And we were doing so good...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-07-2020, 03:36 PM
dolores's Avatar
dolores dolores is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
That's so frustrating! The nurse covering my town didn't get back to me until after the last day of quarantine (14 days later) and then told me I only had to close for 5 days - not the full 14. Thank goodness the child who tested positive lives in the next town. That town's BOH nurse handled everything and was so helpful answering the questions I couldn't get answered by my own town's BOH.

I hope the fact DCM tested negative helps put your mind at ease at least as much as possible.
To hear that your nurse got back after your quarantine underscores how poorly things are being handled.

We remain vulnerable even if precautions are being taken. And the lack of timely response from authorities when you need them sucks!

Stay safe everyone
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coronavirus - managing daycare, covid-19 - transmission, illness policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming