Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taxes in a Home Daycare?
Unregistered 05:22 PM 12-03-2014
I'm considering opening up a licensed home daycare. I've looked into many of the rules and regulations so far, but my concerns are mostly with the cost of operation and legal matters. I live in SW FL and things are expensive here. I've looked up liability insurance and it runs on avg 800/yr for 8-10 kids. Does that seem right to you? Also, I'm wondering how taxes are done. I've been told by family that I have to choose a business name and file separately as a small business and submit paperwork 4x a year for a home daycare. Is this true? Any info you can give me about the legal rundown of a home daycare would be GREAT. Thanks!
TomCopeland 01:36 PM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm considering opening up a licensed home daycare. I've looked into many of the rules and regulations so far, but my concerns are mostly with the cost of operation and legal matters. I live in SW FL and things are expensive here. I've looked up liability insurance and it runs on avg 800/yr for 8-10 kids. Does that seem right to you? Also, I'm wondering how taxes are done. I've been told by family that I have to choose a business name and file separately as a small business and submit paperwork 4x a year for a home daycare. Is this true? Any info you can give me about the legal rundown of a home daycare would be GREAT. Thanks!
I just saw your post. The cost for liability insurance you cite is not unreasonable. Look at my insurance directory to get more quotes: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...directory.html

You are not required to get a business name and file separately. Most providers don't have a business name. You are almost always better off filing jointly with your husband. You fill out several business tax forms and include them when you file your joint 1040. Most provider don't pay estimated taxes quarterly. Instead, their husband has enough withheld from his taxes to cover her taxes.

See my blog for lots of articles about the business of family child care: http://tomcopelandblog.com/
Tags:daycare costs, liability insurance
Reply Up