Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>New to Daycare - Always in the Swing
NewMommyC 10:27 AM 04-02-2010
My son is 4 months old and just started daycare 4 days ago. Prior to daycare his grandfather was watching him at home. The daycare has a webcam and it seems like every time I log in to see what he's up to he's in the swing sleeping. I know they have other children to look after but I'm wondering if he's swinging/sleeping too much. I've never had a problem putting him to bed at night, but ever since he's started daycare he is much harder to put to bed. Any ideas? Suggestions?
jen 11:22 AM 04-02-2010
I don't know about where you are, but here it isn't allowed to have a child sleep in a swing....you may want to check the licensing rules on that in your area.

As for how much is too much...how often are you checking? It may be that he is sleeping more at daycare and less at home as part of his transition.

I think what I would do is try to make an effort to monitor every hour or so for the next week, perhaps keep a journal of the time/date/activity. It will probably become very clear how your baby is spending his days and if he is sleeping less and less at daycare as he becomes more acclimated.
Unregistered 11:51 AM 04-02-2010
Thanks for the advice...i'll definitely check on that. I figured it was all a part of him adjusting, but I wanted to be sure. I'll make sure to monitor the webcam every hour to see whats happening. I just thought they would do more with him developmentally. NewMommyC
Chickenhauler 02:48 PM 04-04-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for the advice...i'll definitely check on that. I figured it was all a part of him adjusting, but I wanted to be sure. I'll make sure to monitor the webcam every hour to see whats happening. I just thought they would do more with him developmentally. NewMommyC
He's four months old....at that age, the average kid sleeps, wakes up to eat, goes back to sleep, wakes up to get his shorts changed, sleeps some more....I'm starting to get jealous here!

Honestly, under one year, kids are like old dogs, they sleep, eat and poop and not much else.
Former Teacher 03:31 PM 04-04-2010
Here in TX same thing: a baby can not be in a swing (or any other confinement other than a crib) for more than 30 mins at a time. They can be in a crib only when sleeping. If after being awake for more than 30 mins, the child must be able to get up and on to other things

I agree with the other posters. Log on different times and note each time. If you can't do it on a routine basis maybe ask Grandpa or someone you can trust to look at the cam for you.
MN Mom 12:58 PM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
He's four months old....at that age, the average kid sleeps, wakes up to eat, goes back to sleep, wakes up to get his shorts changed, sleeps some more....I'm starting to get jealous here!

Honestly, under one year, kids are like old dogs, they sleep, eat and poop and not much else.
That's what all mine did too! It's totally normal. I miss their baby days , I got waaaaay more done around the house during their sleep time. Now that they are older, its much more difficult...
mac60 01:03 PM 04-05-2010
This is totally normal. As others said, eat and sleep. That is most of their day. If he is sleeping and content, I would think the daycare is doing a good job. And there is the saying.....never wake a sleeping baby.

This is one reason that I would never allow cameras in my daycare, or in a center if I owned one. No way I am going to be second guessed 11 hours a day.
momofsix 12:02 PM 04-02-2010
If he's sleeping, he should be in a bed. Part of not sleeping as well at home could also be that he's getting used to the swinging motion to help him sleep. I agree with the suggestions Jen made and would follow through with those, especially monitering every hour at least.
MN Mom 04:06 PM 04-02-2010
Sleeping could be his transistion, yes. Also, children's growth happens primarily while asleep, and babies fastest growth is in the first year of life. They will sleep, and should sleep ALOT during this time. The little bit they are awake, however, they should be interacted with, held, talked to etc. I agree with Momofsix, though, unless there is some acid reflux issue..he needs to be in his bed / crib / pack n' play while sleeping.
momofsix 06:48 AM 04-06-2010
http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weekl...baby_sleep.htm
Info about sleeping in swings/carseats and cranium deformities and SIDS]
Childminder 08:12 AM 04-06-2010
If you are licensed in the state of MI and the state inspector walks in you are in violation of the following statue. Doesn't matter to the state what your rationale is for letting a child sleep in a swing. Doesn't have to do with position it has to do with softness of surface. If a child is in your arms 'hopefully' said child is being monitored by caregiver, not so in swing.

R 400.1916 (10-11) Bedding and sleeping equipment.
(10) Infant car seats, infant seats, infant swings, bassinets, highchairs,
waterbeds, adult beds, soft mattresses, sofas, beanbags,
or other soft surfaces are not approved sleeping equipment for
children 24 months of age or younger.
(11) Children 24 months or younger who fall asleep in a space that
is not approved for sleeping shall be moved to approved sleeping
equipment appropriate for their size and age.
Rationale Assures for the safety and well-being of children.
Technical
Assistance
If there is a health issue or special need that requires a child sleep in an
elevated position, documentation from the child's health provider is
required prior to allowing a child to sleep in anything other than a crib
or porta-crib. The documentation must include specific sleeping instructions
and time frames for how long the child needs to sleep in this manner
Crystal 07:50 AM 04-07-2010
Nanny...thank you for making my argument me....you said it all very well, and I agree with you 100%.
Tags:2010, camera, infant - safety, positional asphyxia, sids, sleep - aids, sleeping, suid, swingset, webcam
Reply Up