Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who's What? Babysitter, Nanny, Licensed Daycare Provider, etc.?
permanentvacation 08:46 AM 10-13-2011
I am a bit confused as to who does what. When I first joined this forum, since the name of it is Daycare.com, I thought that everyone on here would be a licensed home daycare provider or the owner of a licensed daycare center. However, I have learned that pretty much anyone that has anything to do with childcare is on here. So, I was wondering who on this forum is a babysitter, who is a nanny, who is a licensed daycare provider, who is the owner of a center, who is employeed at a center, and if there is anyone with a different title, what is your title?
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 10-13-2011
I think all those titles do the same thing just in different surroundings....
Heidi 08:59 AM 10-13-2011
licensed family childcare here (up to 8 in WI). Was a nanny for a few years, also, aloooong time ago
2ndFamilyDC 09:02 AM 10-13-2011
Lic CC provider in MN
DCMom 09:09 AM 10-13-2011
Licensed Group Home Childcare

My home is licensed for 14, I have a separate dc area, offer a preschool curriculum and have a second adult. I try to be the best of both worlds, that's my marketing niche.
youretooloud 10:18 AM 10-13-2011
Home daycare provider.
lil angels 10:22 AM 10-13-2011
Licensed home daycare
graham.shellbell 10:31 AM 10-13-2011
Home daycare not licensed now but was for many years when I was living in Mo.
Solandia 10:54 AM 10-13-2011
Licensed home daycare.
CountryMommy 10:57 AM 10-13-2011
Licensed and Accredited Dayhome Provider.
WImom 11:01 AM 10-13-2011
Licensed Inhome Provider with Preschool Focus (up to 8) in WI.
Sugar Magnolia 11:03 AM 10-13-2011
My husband and I are owners/operators of a licensed child care center. I am the Director and he is the Facility Manager (that means he cuts the lawn and fixes the 100 year old building! Lol!) We are both teachers and have 15 students and a p/t staffer.
kendallina 11:04 AM 10-13-2011
Preschool only- in my home
Unlicensed (legally can have up to 6, but I found 5 is a better number for my sanity)

Sugar Magnolia 11:07 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:

My home is licensed for 14, I have a separate dc area, offer a preschool curriculum and have a second adult. I try to be the best of both worlds, that's my marketing niche.
That's sooooo much like our place! We have 15! Only difference is we are a center because we don't live here, live elsewhere. I TOTALLY use the "best of both worlds" as my general philosophy also!
permanentvacation 11:24 AM 10-13-2011
Oh, I guess I should let you know about me.

I am a licensed home daycare provider. I am licensed for 8 children (max in Maryland) and am licensed for days, evenings, and weekends.

For a couple of years, I was licensed for 24/7 care and had children in my care around the clock. I am thinking about getting my overnight license again, however there isn't much need for it here, so I'm not sure if I should bother.

For the most part of 20 years have been a licensed home daycare provider. I started out when I was 18 working as a sub then being a co-provider with my sister at her licensed home daycare. I opened my own daycare when I became pregnant with my first daughter. After my divorce, due to moving, I was a nanny for a short time and have worked in 3 different daycare centers. One center I worked in for 1/2 day and quit because of safety issues there. I worked at another center for 1 week. It was just too chaotic there. Then I worked in another center for a while. After being highly reprimanded for teaching 4 year olds how to write, I decided to open my own home daycare again.

I am currently qualified to be the director of a center with 20 children in it. I am slowly working towards earning my A. S. degree so I can be a director of a center with an unlimited amount of children and maybe one day might want to own my own center.
tbutler 11:34 AM 10-13-2011
Registered home day care
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:

Same here. (except my separate area is 7 miles from my home. )

My second adult though is only present when needed (usually only in the summer when I have a Kindy aged SA'er or two) otherwise I have 12 and I work alone.
mom2many 11:43 AM 10-13-2011
Licensed family home daycare for 8 kids.
AmandasFCC 12:34 PM 10-13-2011
Licensed family child care in BC, Canada.
Lucy 12:38 PM 10-13-2011
Licensed Home Daycare. Currently six kids ages 22 months to 8 years, but licensed for ten kids.
GrannyJ 12:46 PM 10-13-2011
I am a Licensed Large Family Daycare. I can have 14 with an assistant but right now I only have 2. I lost most of my daycare when CA cut the subsidized program. I have a degree in child development. I also use the slogan "Best of both Worlds" for my advertising!
pixsydust 07:57 PM 10-13-2011
Licensed family daycare for up to 6 kids in MI.
sharlan 08:00 PM 10-13-2011
Licensed family daycare
Oneluckymom 09:17 PM 10-13-2011
Licensed Family Childcare for a capacity of 8.
SilverSabre25 10:21 PM 10-13-2011
legally unlicensed home daycare provider.

In my state we can, without a license, have up to 6 children, no more than 3 under age 2, and our own children count until age 6.
Jenniferdawn 10:55 PM 10-13-2011
Almost-got-my-license home daycare provider.
dave4him 11:31 PM 10-13-2011
Almost-got-my-license home daycare provider.
Will be able to have four kids since i already have three of my own. So far at least one will be enrolling and that is my one year old niece. Shes a handfull anyway so its going to be a good way to start
lucky 04:26 AM 10-14-2011
Licensed home childcare. I have 12 and I work alone except when I have my own kids home and make them helpers.
Crystal 06:41 AM 10-14-2011
Licensed family childcare, 14 children. Developmentally appropriate environment. Been in business almost 15 years. Hubby has been my full-time assistant for almost 14 years. Mentor teacher for the local colleges....I am a lab school and have 2-3 student teachers working in my program each semester. Working on my Master's Degree in Human Development w/specialization in ECE.
Unregistered 07:51 AM 10-14-2011
I'm a legally unlicensed, unregistered home daycare, aka "glorified babysitter". LOL I'm a SAHM insured to care for up to 3 children and currently have just one. I've gotten all of my kids by word of mouth. I normally take babies from 6wks old and they have all stayed until they moved or went to preschool. I have no "program" or any of the things everyone here has. I provide a nice home for kids to stay and play while mom & dad are away for the day. They learn the kinds old-fashioned things a traditional SAHM teaches their kids. We fold laundry, we bake cookies & make homemade ice cream...AND we taste them too! We go outside and dig in the dirt to plant things, we count toilet paper rolls as we put them away, we sometimes watch Sesame Street, we feed the birdies on the deck & love to sit inside on the rug and wait for them to come eat. We eat homemade foods and have dessert every day when we clean our plates. My kids are no longer home, but I still get to be a SAHM for someone else's kids who can't or doesn't want to do it. It works out great for both of us!
littlemissmuffet 09:04 AM 10-14-2011
I'm also a legally unlicensed Home Childcare Provider... and proud of it I couldn't imagine having to deal with all the hassle that many of the licensed providers here have to deal with.
Zoe 09:09 AM 10-14-2011
Licensed home daycare. I have 6 daycare kids including my own 2 sweethearts. I also take care of another child second shift three days a week.
Maddy'sMommy 09:09 AM 10-14-2011
home daycare provider, but I don't mind if someone calls me their babysitter.

I'm not licensed with an agency, but you don't have to be in Ontario. I can have 5 kids, plus my own, But right now I only have 2 full time, 1 part-time, and 1 drop-in. (plus my daughter). I could make more if I only took full-time, but I like my mix right now, I may take one more full-time in the spring.
mismatchedsocks 09:15 AM 10-14-2011
Licensed and accredited home childcare, 8 kids at one time, 12 families enrolled, waiting list of a ton, associates in early childhood, pursuing bachelors in early childhood up to grade 3 and special needs focus. One day in the next year or two I will (hopefully) be an owner of a group center big enough for 100, but of course starting on a smaller scale!
TBird 09:38 AM 10-14-2011
Licensed out of my home for 16 (12 & 4 SA's). One Assistant so far...looking to fill a few more openings and then I'd like to have a PT Assistant & a PT Substitute. I'd like a small, cozy center some day.

I don't like the word "babysit" BTW...I have too many credentials to be "sitting". LOL!
Ariana 09:40 AM 10-14-2011
I'm a Registered Early Childhood Educator who runs an unlicensed home daycare.
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I'm a Registered Early Childhood Educator who runs an unlicensed home daycare.
What is a Registered Early Childhood Educator?
Childminder 11:49 AM 10-14-2011
Licensed family home daycare for up to 6 kids in MI. Open extended hours. Currently 13 are enrolled.
misspollywog 04:05 PM 10-14-2011
I am a professional nanny and child care provider operating a legally unlicensed family home daycare which is a fancy way of saying I'm a well paid babysitter.
Tags:babysitter vs provider, credentials, self esteem, status, titles
Reply Up