Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Licensed Family Daycares That Hire An Assistant
Nellie 10:00 PM 10-15-2011
I was wondering for those who are Licensed Family Daycares and hire assistants do you have to pay unemployment insurance on them? Do you only pay them minimum wage? Do you have them there 40 hours a week?

I imagine that you need to pay the unemployment insurance on them, because it is just like an business with employees. I just don't know how you can afford it. I use to help my dad with the books for his concrete business and he always said that between FICA that the employer pays and the unemployment that a man making 15 dollars an hour was costing him 30.
So if I paid an assistant just minimum wage 7 something, it would cost me more like 14 to 15. There wouldn't be to much left afterwards.
logged out 08:20 AM 10-16-2011
I am in Ny and my enrollment is fairly low. I do have an assistant with me and I am just scrapping by. I pay her minimum wage and go thru a payroll service for an extra $3o a week. She is paid sallary at 40 hours a week. Between all taxes, unemployment , workerscomp, and disability I actually pay double her take home. Sometimes more a week. The killer part is that she doesn't not understand that and thinks Im being cheap.

Hope this helps
lpperry 12:35 PM 10-16-2011
I am considering getting licensed to add more kids. I wouldn't legally have to hire an assistant, but I would want to. Can I just hire someone for part-time and pay what I want without having to pay unemployment , workers comp, and disability? If I have to do this, then it's not worth it to get licensed and get an assistant.
familyschoolcare 01:17 PM 10-16-2011
Originally Posted by lpperry:
I am considering getting licensed to add more kids. I wouldn't legally have to hire an assistant, but I would want to. Can I just hire someone for part-time and pay what I want without having to pay unemployment , workers comp, and disability? If I have to do this, then it's not worth it to get licensed and get an assistant.
When I looked into this I was told that if I tell the emplyee when and exactly how to do his/her job then I have to pay him/her as an employee. But if I do not put restrictions on the job like exactly how then I can pay as an idependent contractor.
Sprouts 07:16 PM 10-16-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
When I looked into this I was told that if I tell the emplyee when and exactly how to do his/her job then I have to pay him/her as an employee. But if I do not put restrictions on the job like exactly how then I can pay as an idependent contractor.
yes my accountant said for the first year or so you can do this pretty much as long as the schedule varies and is not a set schedule, but after the first year only. I am dreading all of the taxes, its monetary rape.
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Here is a link to Tom Copeland's Blog about this subject http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...ntractors.html

Hopefully it answers some of your questions. You can also try searching his site for more information.
MyAngels 10:30 AM 10-17-2011
Just adding this link to supplement BlackCat's:

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/employees.html
grandmom 02:26 PM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by logged out:
Between all taxes, unemployment , workerscomp, and disability I actually pay double her take home. Sometimes more a week. The killer part is that she doesn't not understand that and thinks Im being cheap.
I have a solution for this. The time sheet my employee turns in has a space at the bottom where I record what is deducted from her paycheck, AND what I pay additionally. Then, there is a *total cost* line and a *net pay* line. It's surprising how much we do pay.
thecrazyisout 10:36 AM 10-18-2011
I am a former HR person, and I am curious why we don't consider contracting their work out and they can worry about paying taxes, etc. Maybe this is something Tom can address......

Thanks
thecrazyisout 10:48 AM 10-18-2011
[quote=thecrazyisout;155644]I am a former HR person, and I am curious why we don't consider contracting their work out and they can worry about paying taxes, etc. Maybe this is something Tom can address......

Thanks[/QUOTE

Never mind...I found it...
Tags:assistant
Reply Up