Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Gifts/Crafts
Lyss 04:15 PM 12-07-2012
What are you doing with your DCKs for their parents? (If you are that is?)

I've had a DCM hint towards a clay hand print Santa she thinks is "super cute for a Christmas gift" but I'm not a fan of projects where I end up painting for the kids so that's out!! All DCB would do is make a hand print in clay and then I'd have do all the painting to turn it into santa. I agree its cute but it's not gonna happen! lol! I think plain hand prints in clay are cute too but I know 2 of my DCPs make ornaments like this each year

I have a younger group, 2s (3) and 12mos (2). we're going to finger paint butcher paper to make wrapping paper but beyond that I'm not sure what to do.

I plan to check out pinterest later but I was just wondering what you all have planned.
MamaBearCanada 04:34 PM 12-07-2012
They could make ornaments out of the crayola model magic if you don't want to do handprints (we did handprints but the kids could paint them). It dries in 72 hrs. It's like play dough and comes in a variety of colours but dries. Very lightweight. You would just have to punch a hole in their creation to thread ribbon through. We made Popsicle wreaths or you can use paper plates with the centre cut out the kids could decorate them with paint, markers or glitter.
daycarediva 04:35 PM 12-07-2012
Last year we made things for the kids to do with dcp's, like say a poem & sprinkle magic oats (that we mixed up and made, in a bag with glitter, & baby carrots) outside for the reindeer, wooden frames they painted with pictures of them in reindeer ears. Silouettes of the kids with a black matte frame were my gift to them.

I am doing photo tile coasters this year that the kids are decoupaging with scrap bits of christmas wrapping paper (even the 2's can do this with minimal assistance and all I do is let dry, spray and glue on cork!)
melilley 04:43 PM 12-07-2012
One year we bought cloth bags and had the kids put their hand prints on it and made it look like holly (put the hands sideways wrists together). Or they can just paint the bag. They used the bags to bring stuff to and from daycare. Functional and they got to see their creations every day. Or get hand towels and do the same. I had toddlers so we did something simple, but cute.
Lucy 05:26 PM 12-07-2012
Bless any of you who do Christmas craft gifts for parents. I've done it in the past, and it is just soooo unappreciated that I have quit.

Last year was the tipping point. I thought I'd go all out because my husband had been in the hospital for 10 days and the parents were so accommodating with time off, etc. and I wanted to do a little something extra.

I won't go into detail on what the craft was, but we spent a chunk of money on supplies, and lots of time and effort by my husband and me, and not one thank you, not one "oh how cute", "wow, you spent a lot of time on these", etc. One parent lost them, which she didn't even know till I finally asked if she'd gotten them. When they were found, she still said nothing.

Anyway, I posted about it last year when it was burning on my brain. I won't get all wordy about it now. Suffice to say, I won't put myself out like that again. Sounds like a scrooge? I agree! I've discovered the kids could care less anyway. They'd be just as happy coloring on a printed coloring page of a santa.
EchoMom 05:34 PM 12-07-2012
Oriental trading company has affordable REALLY easy craft kits for all holidays and seasons! I am so impressed! Today the kids made foam ornaments shaped like wreaths, candy canes, and stockings. All I have to do is peel the paper off to reveal the adhesive side of the foam and then they stick on the correct colored pom poms. So easy even the 14 month olds can do it and the outcome looks nice no matter what!

We also used nativity scene foam stickers. Just peel and stick ALLLLL the characters from the nativity scene on a piece of black construction paper to be the night sky. SOOOOO easy and the kids LOVE it!
Scout 05:56 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Lyss:
What are you doing with your DCKs for their parents? (If you are that is?)

I've had a DCM hint towards a clay hand print Santa she thinks is "super cute for a Christmas gift" but I'm not a fan of projects where I end up painting for the kids so that's out!! All DCB would do is make a hand print in clay and then I'd have do all the painting to turn it into santa. I agree its cute but it's not gonna happen! lol! I think plain hand prints in clay are cute too but I know 2 of my DCPs make ornaments like this each year

I have a younger group, 2s (3) and 12mos (2). we're going to finger paint butcher paper to make wrapping paper but beyond that I'm not sure what to do.

I plan to check out pinterest later but I was just wondering what you all have planned.
The Santa is super cute. We are doing that & other cinnamon ornaments. I am not going to paint Santa either. Just let the kids paint it as they like...it is all about the handprint IMO.
Scout 06:01 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Bless any of you who do Christmas craft gifts for parents. I've done it in the past, and it is just soooo unappreciated that I have quit.

Last year was the tipping point. I thought I'd go all out because my husband had been in the hospital for 10 days and the parents were so accommodating with time off, etc. and I wanted to do a little something extra.

I won't go into detail on what the craft was, but we spent a chunk of money on supplies, and lots of time and effort by my husband and me, and not one thank you, not one "oh how cute", "wow, you spent a lot of time on these", etc. One parent lost them, which she didn't even know till I finally asked if she'd gotten them. When they were found, she still said nothing.

Anyway, I posted about it last year when it was burning on my brain. I won't get all wordy about it now. Suffice to say, I won't put myself out like that again. Sounds like a scrooge? I agree! I've discovered the kids could care less anyway. They'd be just as happy coloring on a printed coloring page of a santa.
That is terrible & rude to not mention them at all! What kind of parent wouldn't say "how cute" about a gift their child made for them? I don't get it.
WImom 06:35 AM 12-10-2012
We are doing salt dough ornaments. I'm having them each do two (I have alot of kids with seperated parents). We are doing trees and stars since I figure those will be easy to decorate and paint. We are going to add glitter and sequins (with modge podge).
DaisyMamma 07:16 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
We are doing salt dough ornaments. I'm having them each do two (I have alot of kids with seperated parents). We are doing trees and stars since I figure those will be easy to decorate and paint. We are going to add glitter and sequins (with modge podge).
Do you mind if I ask for your recipe?
Thanks!
thecrazyisout 08:25 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Last year we made things for the kids to do with dcp's, like say a poem & sprinkle magic oats (that we mixed up and made, in a bag with glitter, & baby carrots) outside for the reindeer, wooden frames they painted with pictures of them in reindeer ears. Silouettes of the kids with a black matte frame were my gift to them.

I am doing photo tile coasters this year that the kids are decoupaging with scrap bits of christmas wrapping paper (even the 2's can do this with minimal assistance and all I do is let dry, spray and glue on cork!)
How did you do the silouettes?
lovemykidstoo 09:20 AM 12-10-2012
We did the clear glass ornaments and put the paint in and swirled them to make a marbled effect. I'm going to write their names on them for the parents. We always do a christmas gift for the parents. I wrap it up and they take it home to open it. Then I'm off for the week between Christmas and New Years. Very rarely do the parents say anything when they come back on whether they liked the gift or not. I don't know if it's because it's a week gone by and they forgot or what. Aways makes me feel bad though. I shouldn't say every single parent, but the majority forget and don't say anything.
LittleCrawfishCC 09:35 AM 12-10-2012
I would love to know more about the salt dough!
daycarediva 09:47 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by thecrazyisout:
How did you do the silouettes?
Took a picture of the dck from the side to get the portrait. I put little girl's hair up in a pony. I uploaded them to my computer and printed them out on 5x7 plain computer paper (made them black and white to save ink). Then I traced along the outside of the photo, added eyelashes, and then cut that out. Put it over black cardstock, traced around it lightly with pencil, then cut that out of the black cardstock and matted it, framed it, done. Several of my dcp's were in tears and another came back after Christmas carrying HER silouette from preschool, now she has her's and dcb's hung next to each other! CUTE!

Here is another idea... http://www.thesitsgirls.com/diy/do-i...n-silhouettes/ the only difference is she painted them, I just cut a new one out of cardstock.
Blackcat31 10:31 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Do you mind if I ask for your recipe?
Thanks!
Originally Posted by LittleCrawfishCC:
I would love to know more about the salt dough!
Here is a fantastic site with tons of fun "dough" recipe's, including salt dough.

We are trying the Jello recipe this week...can't wait to see if it is as cool and as fun as it looks!

http://www.playdoughrecipe.org/categ...dough-recipes/
spud912 01:38 PM 12-10-2012
We are making hand molds. Last year we did hand print impressions, but this year we are making actual molds of hands. I am very nervous about how they will turn out! I did the first one today as a practice run and I'm waiting for it to dry to peel out the hand.

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Took a picture of the dck from the side to get the portrait. I put little girl's hair up in a pony. I uploaded them to my computer and printed them out on 5x7 plain computer paper (made them black and white to save ink). Then I traced along the outside of the photo, added eyelashes, and then cut that out. Put it over black cardstock, traced around it lightly with pencil, then cut that out of the black cardstock and matted it, framed it, done. Several of my dcp's were in tears and another came back after Christmas carrying HER silouette from preschool, now she has her's and dcb's hung next to each other! CUTE!

Here is another idea... http://www.thesitsgirls.com/diy/do-i...n-silhouettes/ the only difference is she painted them, I just cut a new one out of cardstock.
That is a great idea! I may steal this for Mother's Day!!
Reply Up