Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Change in Policy Due to Frequent Call Offs
irishrose 10:21 AM 07-28-2015
Hi All!

Now that summer is here, we have many families wanting to take vacations. We wouldn't have a problem with that... however, they let us know a day or two before. Here's the situation. We are a Type A in-home daycare so we can care for 12 kids at a time. We have two staff working while our ratio is above 6 and overall we have 4 people employed. So, when I do the schedule the week before, I have it all worked out for staff and children schedules. (And juggling 4 staff and 18 children's schedules is not easy!!) Then, for example, this morning, we had a parent come in and tell us that her two boys wouldn't be here Thursday and Friday. That is a one day notice. When we had heard about the parent taking vacation days (mind you - we heard through the children - she had yet to tell us) we decided to make some changes to our contract and send them home. In short, the changes said that we need at least a one-week notice of vacation days so that we can fill the spot, temproarlily with part time children. If we do not receive at least a one week notice, we will charge you for the hours that you were scheduled to be here. The next morning, after parents had a chance to read our contract changes, we had one mom threaten to pull her children out and she would not agree with the changes. Another one simply said, well I though I could use my 10 vacation days that Im given every six month - Well.. yes, she technically can- but we need one week notice......

Sooo frustrating!!!
We - the staff - get OUR hours cut and we LOSE money - money that we need to pay our bills!!

So my question here is, how do I handle these parent's angry complaints about the change when it is time for them to pick up tonight. I did not open this morning so I did not have the opportunity to talk with them this morning. Fortunately one of the staff gave me a heads up and I've been wracking my brain all day. All of you here are wonderful with words and I appreciate all of the advice! Thanks
Thriftylady 10:26 AM 07-28-2015
Well I am a class B home, and I have no staff, but it is in my contract that weekly tuition is due regardless of attendance. In the case of vacation, I only charge half tuition as a spot holder, but they have to give me notice. I say if someone leaves over it, let them and when you replace enforce the new policy.
KayB 10:46 AM 07-28-2015
Can you not charge a flat weekly rate. No matter if in attendance or not?
irishrose 11:28 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I say if someone leaves over it, let them and when you replace enforce the new policy.
That was my thought too. We love the kids and hate to see them go if it comes down to that - but if the parent doesn't agree to our terms, we can always find another family to replace them.

Thanks for the advice!
irishrose 11:31 AM 07-28-2015
Our rate is $3.25/hour/kid. I have encouraged the administrator to consider charging weekly fees but is unsure of how to go about this. She has been doing hourly rate charges for nearly 30 years. Personally I feel that a weekly rate, whether absent or present is the way to go.

A lot of the parents in the area prefer the hourly rate - that way they only pay for the times they use. Maybe this is a point I could bring up to the DCM that is angry with us when she picks up her kids tonight!

Thanks for letting me think out loud
bklsmum 11:31 AM 07-28-2015
I would just tell them that this is the policy and that is how it is. It is rude and inconsiderate of them to expect you to just be sitting there ready for them with no pay if they decide to take off on vacation. If anyone complains ask them if they would like you to stop giving notice of your vacations and days off.
Thriftylady 11:51 AM 07-28-2015
Well if it isn't YOUR daycare, you can't really make the rules. Of course though parents are not going to want to go to a different system that costs them more. But if the daycare looses employees and or money over it, then they will have to find new care. If I had a job where I got sent home because I wasn't needed, and then couldn't pay my bills, I would be finding a new job.
e.j. 12:00 PM 07-28-2015
Personally, I'd explain the reason behind the change and hope they understand why the change has to happen. If the change still isn't acceptable to them, though, I'd tell the parents that while I'm sad to lose them as clients, I understand and wish them luck in their search for a new provider/day care.
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Personally, I'd explain the reason behind the change and hope they understand why the change has to happen. If the change still isn't acceptable to them, though, I'd tell the parents that while I'm sad to lose them as clients, I understand and wish them luck in their search for a new provider/day care.
It sounds like a few people need an explanation of "group care" and what it means to be part of a group.

Individual needs aside, being a part of a large group requires a bit of consideration in regards to ratio's and safety.

IMHO, most places require a certain amount of advance notice before taking time off so I fail to see why it would be such a big deal for parents to give a week's notice about vacation time... are they all seriously deciding the night before to take a week off?

If so, where do they work that they can simply decide that kind of thing on a moments notice?

The way I see it, there are two choices.... either give advance notice and NOT pay or give notice the night before but still PAY. Not a hard decision.
Unregistered 01:11 PM 07-28-2015
I give parents 7 days vacation per year. I require 2 weeks notice. I've never had anyone say anything.
Unregistered 01:58 PM 07-28-2015
I charge a weekly rate and they have to pay it whether their child is here or not. They are paying to hold their child's spot. I get paid vacation too. That is standard in home daycares where I live. You should change your contract to, you pay the weekly rate whether the child is here or not It reduces my stress level big time.
TXhomedaycare 03:10 PM 07-28-2015
Well I am a class B home, and I have no staff, but it is in my contract that weekly tuition is due regardless of attendance. In the case of vacation, I only charge half tuition as a spot holder, but they have to give me notice. I say if someone leaves over it, let them and when you replace enforce the new policy.
same here
irishrose 03:22 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I would just tell them that this is the policy and that is how it is. It is rude and inconsiderate of them to expect you to just be sitting there ready for them with no pay if they decide to take off on vacation. If anyone complains ask them if they would like you to stop giving notice of your vacations and days off.
Hi Bklsmum - I couldn't agree more. Some of the parents' ways of thinking just baffle me. I always try to put myself in their shoes to see how they are feeling. I wish they could see from our point of view too! Communication, no matter how much I try to establish that with them, seems to be a one-sided conversation.

We have one parent who refuses to sign this. Would you terminate in that situation? I am going in early tomorrow to talk with her so we'll see how this goes. Just wanted to see what others thought about her refusing to sign the changes to the contract.
irishrose 03:25 PM 07-28-2015
Well if it isn't YOUR daycare, you can't really make the rules. Of course though parents are not going to want to go to a different system that costs them more. But if the daycare looses employees and or money over it, then they will have to find new care. If I had a job where I got sent home because I wasn't needed, and then couldn't pay my bills, I would be finding a new job.
Hi Thriftylady - as far as ownership - no. I do not own the daycare. My title - I suppose, would be assistant administrator. I am currently in the process of being trained to take over the business as the current owner/admin is planning to retire soon. She leaves quite a bit up to me, but all final decisions are ran by her before they are finalized. When I do take over the business, I strongly feel that I will be changing to weekly tuition rather than an hourly rate. It seems like it would take the stress off of situations like these!
irishrose 03:30 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It sounds like a few people need an explanation of "group care" and what it means to be part of a group.

Individual needs aside, being a part of a large group requires a bit of consideration in regards to ratio's and safety.

IMHO, most places require a certain amount of advance notice before taking time off so I fail to see why it would be such a big deal for parents to give a week's notice about vacation time... are they all seriously deciding the night before to take a week off?

If so, where do they work that they can simply decide that kind of thing on a moments notice?

The way I see it, there are two choices.... either give advance notice and NOT pay or give notice the night before but still PAY. Not a hard decision.
Hi Blackcat - I like the way you think. So many parents think that we are doing a favor for them. But - this is our business and it is how we make our living.

Not all the parents are bad at giving us notice, in fact, some are truly wonderful and will let us know weeks in advance! There are three families though that will tell us the day before that they are taking the next few days off. All three moms are in the healthcare field. I do not know much about being in that field - maybe they have quite a bit of flexibility in their jobs?? However - when they first started with us - we were told that their schedule would be Mon-Fri, full-time. Sometimes, that's not always the case and we do not find out about changes until a day or two before. And by then, it's too late to fill the spots with some of our part-time children. Then, either I tell staff that they aren't needed or I cut my own hours. I didn't think advanced notice was too much to ask. Are we being too picky?
irishrose 03:33 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I give parents 7 days vacation per year. I require 2 weeks notice. I've never had anyone say anything.
Hi guest! You are very lucky! It sounds like you have some great parents!! Our parents get 20 vacation days per year - 10 from Jan 1 to June 30 and then 10 from July 1 to Dec 31. These are free of charge - provided we get a week's notice.. although that doesn't always happen, hence our current dilemma.
Thriftylady 03:44 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by irishrose:
Hi Blackcat - I like the way you think. So many parents think that we are doing a favor for them. But - this is our business and it is how we make our living.

Not all the parents are bad at giving us notice, in fact, some are truly wonderful and will let us know weeks in advance! There are three families though that will tell us the day before that they are taking the next few days off. All three moms are in the healthcare field. I do not know much about being in that field - maybe they have quite a bit of flexibility in their jobs?? However - when they first started with us - we were told that their schedule would be Mon-Fri, full-time. Sometimes, that's not always the case and we do not find out about changes until a day or two before. And by then, it's too late to fill the spots with some of our part-time children. Then, either I tell staff that they aren't needed or I cut my own hours. I didn't think advanced notice was too much to ask. Are we being too picky?
Well most people in health care know their schedules well ahead of time. They, like us in child care have to have proper staffing in most cases. Now I know there are times if a nurse has to call off another must be called in because they have to have that coverage. But I find it hard to believe that they can just call in off work so easy. Now if they are in billing or something who knows, maybe?
irishrose 10:42 AM 07-29-2015
Well here's the update:

DCM came in this morning and as she was heading to the door to leave, I pulled her aside and I explained to her that a staff member told me she was upset about the change in policy and I wanted a chance to explain it to her. I told her that the policy wasn't directed at her specifically, but to all parents in general. I told her that we had a few families who would give us a one or two day notice before going on vacation and when that happens, I either tell my staff members that they are not needed or I cut my own hours. When this happens, we struggle to keep an income. Although we love what we do, it is our job and this policy change helps us to stay in business. She replied that she understood but she still would not sign the policy change agreement. Her issue with it was that because she was in the process of changing jobs, she might be let go two weeks early, and that she didn't want to pay for those other two weeks she would be between jobs. I explained to her that that was something that we could work around and if you talk with us and explain what happens, we could work something out so you wouldn't be responsible for paying during that time. I repeated that this policy is in place to protect myself and other staff members from when parents decide to go on vacation with a 1-2 day notice. I also told her that I didn't foresee this being a problem with her because she in the past two months, she has given us a heads up when her children will be out. She said she understood my point, but she still refused to sign because it was contractual. I told her that we would be sticking with our policy and that I didn't want to lose her two children, but if she needed to look for another provider than I understood. She said okay and then walked out of the door.

I am sad that we will be losing her two kids, they are truly wonderful kids and being in childcare has helped them come a long way. I truly, truly hope I did the right thing - part of me feels bad - but the other part of me is proud for standing by the policy. Ahhh. Running a business is not easy... I'm not looking forward to tomorrow morning when she drops the kids off. :/

Was I right or wrong?
Thriftylady 12:07 PM 07-29-2015
If you make a policy you have to stick to it or what good is the policy? I would require her to give her notice in writing though so you can begin to fill the spot.
irishrose 12:14 PM 07-29-2015
If you make a policy you have to stick to it or what good is the policy? I would require her to give her notice in writing though so you can begin to fill the spot.
Thank you. You are absolutely correct. The policy is in place for a good reason and I must stick with it. It's just so hard to be 'tough' sometimes, but if I don't, then I'm going to be the one who is struggling for an income. Thanks again for all of the advice!
Blackcat31 01:23 PM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by irishrose:
Thank you. You are absolutely correct. The policy is in place for a good reason and I must stick with it. It's just so hard to be 'tough' sometimes, but if I don't, then I'm going to be the one who is struggling for an income. Thanks again for all of the advice!
"When you say yes to someone else, make sure you are not saying no to yourself"

That's important advice in this line of work since a majority of providers are natural caregivers and always wanting to help. Sadly there are a few types of parents that will take advantage of that and push boundaries.

The child care relationship between parent and the child care should be a two way street. The goal shouldn't always be doing what's best for the parent's finances/budget but doing what's best for everyone.

I charge families the same rate 50 weeks a year REGARDLESS of attendance. My rates are based in enrollment not on attendance so parents can take as much time off as they want but I still make the same income.

I view rates like rent. You don't get to go away for the weekend and then ask your landlord for a discount or break in rent. Your apartment was still there. You just CHOSE not to use it but it was still there in case you did.

Also, keeping your child care provider informed and up to date on your days off and vacation times is a courtesy that I would think all parents did simply as a respectful gesture to their provider. Imagine if their medical field employers refused to give them notice of what days and times they were suppose to work a shift but instead called them up the night before and said to show up?

I also want to point out that this DCM's refusal to sign this simple agreement is her way of saying she has no respect or concern for your income, your role in the child's life nor your mental health... she is concerned about HER finances and HER wishes only. She may say the words "I understand" and she may really understand but she doesn't care. Personally I would rather care; even if I didn't understand...kwim?

Good luck.... these kinds of situations usually reach a boiling point and then either go bad real fast.... hoping that is not the case here.
Unregistered 05:49 PM 07-29-2015
We charge a flat rate regardless of whether they come or not. In August and December we charge the flat rate plus a supply fee.
renodeb 09:52 PM 08-04-2015
I have in my contract that I need one week's notice for any vacation days taken with 1/2 of the regular fee paid in advance. Payment is based on enrollment not attendance. Maybe tell those parents that you rely on a certain amount of income a week in order to pay staff and make a living. Also, when I make any changes to my contract I give a month's notice for them to get used to what ever change it is. Most parents hate change and most especially hate sudden change. Good luck .
Deb
Tags:policy change
Reply Up