Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
Ariana 05:07 AM 12-09-2019
Teacher mom has begun her never ending days off again. So happy to be paying for it as a taxpayer. Last week stayed home for a “mental health” day, then shopping and now today she drops off kid and says “we both have colds, I might stay home”. Yeah drop your kid here while you go home and rest

Fudge these parents.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Teacher mom has begun her never ending days off again. So happy to be paying for it as a taxpayer. Last week stayed home for a “mental health” day, then shopping and now today she drops off kid and says “we both have colds, I might stay home”. Yeah drop your kid here while you go home and rest

Fudge these parents.

It used to be a certain "type" of parent.
Now it seems it's all parents.

Whatever, I am so over it..... I just charge now and don't stress one bit about it. The parents certainly don't.

Today we have a 2 hour late delay for school and a TON of snow. I get to work no problem and don't open late or anything for days like this but most my parents will be a bit behind due to the snow so it works out well. I shovel the walk ways while my hubby plows the driveway and parking areas.

Today we are shoveling away... still 10 minutes before opening and a parent pulls into the driveway. Blocking my husband....WTF.....parent works at Dairy Queen.

She's more than 30 minutes early and seriously who is heading to Dairy Queen when it's 2F outside and snowy?
Especially since DQ doesn't even open until 10:00.

I made her get back in the car with her kid, park farther down the block and wait.

SMH.
Snowmom 07:17 AM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I made her get back in the car with her kid, park farther down the block and wait.

SMH.

I heard it's pretty heavy up north. We started out the day with freezing rain. It just started snowing here about an hour ago and we already have a good 1-2 inches.
littlefriends 07:54 AM 12-09-2019

Whatever, I am so over it..... I just charge now and don't stress one bit about it. The parents certainly don't.

Today we have a 2 hour late delay for school and a TON of snow. I get to work no problem and don't open late or anything for days like this but most my parents will be a bit behind due to the snow so it works out well. I shovel the walk ways while my hubby plows the driveway and parking areas.

Today we are shoveling away... still 10 minutes before opening and a parent pulls into the driveway. Blocking my husband....WTF.....parent works at Dairy Queen.

She's more than 30 minutes early and seriously who is heading to Dairy Queen when it's 2F outside and snowy?

SMH.
Oh man, that would make my blood boil...
Annalee 08:33 AM 12-09-2019

SMH.
Oh my goodness!!!

Good for you sending her down the street
gonecrazy 12:40 PM 12-09-2019
It's Monday! UGH! It's been a LONG one! An almost three year old who repeats EVERYTHING I say. And in question form. If I say "I need to go check on lunch" she says "you need to go check on lunch?" All...day...long! Add to it that this is without a doubt the nosiest child I have ever encountered and I am about to lose my mind. "Why are you standing up?" "Why are you walking to the kitchen?" "Who was on the phone?" "Why did you say such and such to so and so?" It NEVER STOPS! Thank God for nap time. My brain and my nerves are tired LOL!
Ariana 08:49 AM 12-10-2019

SMH.
Oh man what is with these people?? I cherish extra time with my kids!!

Hope we are getting snow soon. Drab, mild, rainy and green here...bah humbug
AmyKidsCo 12:08 PM 12-10-2019

Fudge these parents.
My FCC friend has a teacher mom who's posting on FB looking for a sitter for 12/23 because "daycare is closed and we don't have any more days off." The mom has been at the program 4 years and the closed dates are always the same, and mom is taking off 12/20 to finish getting ready for Christmas.
CountryRoads 03:41 PM 12-11-2019
You know what stinks about a small town? Everyone knows everything!

I had a woman who would be getting childcare assistance call me yesterday. She left a vm and I haven't gotten back to her yet. Mostly because I don't think it's something I want to get involved in.

Anyway, two of my clients (both law enforcement) asked me if she called me yet and said that this woman told them I hadn't gotten back to her. The perks of everyone knowing everyone
Annalee 06:48 PM 12-11-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
You know what stinks about a small town? Everyone knows everything!

I had a woman who would be getting childcare assistance call me yesterday. She left a vm and I haven't gotten back to her yet. Mostly because I don't think it's something I want to get involved in.

Anyway, two of my clients (both law enforcement) asked me if she called me yet and said that this woman told them I hadn't gotten back to her. The perks of everyone knowing everyone
I understand! I live in a small town as well. My aunt attended a High School basketball game last Friday Night and she said a lady she was sitting beside realized she was kin to me and was talking about her grandchildren attending my child care. Then, a family from behind apparently got irritated and started saying things like "well, she didn't take my child, I called and she wouldn't allow my child to come"??? I didn't even recognize the name when my aunt told me but they have an infant. My aunt told them I did interviews and the state only allowed so many infants. Either way, they aren't even on my waiting list so they must've been a call that simply asked if I had openings. Oh well, it is what it is!
Hunni Bee 11:14 AM 12-12-2019
It is 1000% a choice whether you want to attend special events at your child's school/daycare.

That being said, should you choose to attend and the event is scheduled to start at 9, it will absolutely not start at 8:40 because you need to get back to work. Barging into the kitchen while the teachers are making pancakes isn't nice. Nor is staring menacingly into the window from the hallway.
Ariana 05:33 PM 12-12-2019
A few weeks back I did a milestone assessment of DCG who is 2.5. Mom didn’t care about my concerns and I got dismissed big time. Today she contacts me through text asking me to complete a milestone checklist for her and let me know what I get and she will also do one at home. I guess she decided that last night was the night she would interact with her child so she is suddenly seeing the same things I am seeing that she was not seeing a few weeks ago?!

Ummm no. I responded letting her know I already completed one and gave it to her and to just review it. It is 2 days before my break....will I effing make it with this crazy demanding, selfish parent?

gonecrazy 06:02 AM 12-13-2019
It's Friday the 13th and while I am not really superstitious today just may live up to it's hype!

Dcd, thank you for giving me one look this morning then asking if I am ok today! I double checked myself in the mirror and I look just like I always look. Maybe you saw a slight look of irritation on my face because your child is here today? We are in the middle of an ice storm with the potential of power outages. His mother is home on maternity leave. Why did you not just keep him home instead of out in the weather. If the power goes out she will have to come out with the baby and get him. UGH!

Maybe I look tired to you? Because you know.....I have your child 9 1/2 hours a day Mon-Fri. Even while Mom is home on maternity leave! Maybe I look tired because my allergies are crazy right now and I had to get up and take care of your kid when he could be at home. Maybe I am tired because I didn't get a vacation this year because every time I mentioned taking a day off so I could have a long weekend it was a hassle. (yes that's my fault. I am too nice)

Sorry to rant but I am TIRED! Dck is a handful with some issues that no one wants to address and it's been a very long year. I need a vacation!
** For the record I am not a daycare. I have no desire to be. I keep kids for neighbors and friends because my children are grown and I spend a lot of time alone. I need something to occupy my time and I love having littles around. I started keeping kids to help out the son of my parent's best friends years ago and it's just gone on from there. They left and another friend asked. They left and the son of another friend asked, etc. One family at a time usually. They come to my home and are treated like family. I do the same things during the day that I did with my kids, cook meals, do laundry and dishes, etc. We do lots of crafts and activities, play outside, learn constantly but not in a "daycare" type setting."
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 12-13-2019
Originally Posted by gonecrazy:
It's Friday the 13th and while I am not really superstitious today just may live up to it's hype!

Dcd, thank you for giving me one look this morning then asking if I am ok today! I double checked myself in the mirror and I look just like I always look. Maybe you saw a slight look of irritation on my face because your child is here today? We are in the middle of an ice storm with the potential of power outages. His mother is home on maternity leave. Why did you not just keep him home instead of out in the weather. If the power goes out she will have to come out with the baby and get him. UGH!

Maybe I look tired to you? Because you know.....I have your child 9 1/2 hours a day Mon-Fri. Even while Mom is home on maternity leave! Maybe I look tired because my allergies are crazy right now and I had to get up and take care of your kid when he could be at home. Maybe I am tired because I didn't get a vacation this year because every time I mentioned taking a day off so I could have a long weekend it was a hassle. (yes that's my fault. I am too nice)

Sorry to rant but I am TIRED! Dck is a handful with some issues that no one wants to address and it's been a very long year. I need a vacation!
** For the record I am not a daycare. I have no desire to be. I keep kids for neighbors and friends because my children are grown and I spend a lot of time alone. I need something to occupy my time and I love having littles around. I started keeping kids to help out the son of my parent's best friends years ago and it's just gone on from there. They left and another friend asked. They left and the son of another friend asked, etc. One family at a time usually. They come to my home and are treated like family. I do the same things during the day that I did with my kids, cook meals, do laundry and dishes, etc. We do lots of crafts and activities, play outside, learn constantly but not in a "daycare" type setting."

Ariana 08:54 AM 12-13-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
My FCC friend has a teacher mom who's posting on FB looking for a sitter for 12/23 because "daycare is closed and we don't have any more days off." The mom has been at the program 4 years and the closed dates are always the same, and mom is taking off 12/20 to finish getting ready for Christmas.
Why are they all the same?!!
284878 04:34 AM 12-14-2019
Originally Posted by gonecrazy:

You are a day care whether you like it or not. Everything in bold above is what a home day care provider does.
BumbleBee 08:07 AM 12-14-2019
Sent out a group text this week requesting schedules for the 3 days daycare is open over Christmas break. I sent this text after 8 reminders of dates closed beginning in January with the last reminder sent a week ago.

That parent texts back: "what about the other days of break? You're not closed, are you???"

She got screen shots of all 8 reminders with dates sent & her responses to all of them.
Ac114 05:18 AM 12-17-2019
DCM types up a long messages about the days she has off during Christmas break and how much she owes and wants to make sure it’s correct, of course leaving out my paid holidays. This is her 3rd Christmas here and has paid for all of my paid holidays since day one but claimed ignorance on this.

Sorry mom, I wasn’t going to let that slide. You still owe me for my paid holidays just like every other time.

It’s the season!
Snowmom 07:17 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
DCM types up a long messages about the days she has off during Christmas break and how much she owes and wants to make sure it’s correct, of course leaving out my paid holidays. This is her 3rd Christmas here and has paid for all of my paid holidays since day one but claimed ignorance on this.

Sorry mom, I wasn’t going to let that slide. You still owe me for my paid holidays just like every other time.

It’s the season!
Figures.

I always get families giving their notice this time of year and daycare hop to the next one after New Years to try and get out of paying for Christmas/New Years.
Happens every year.
Unregistered 07:41 AM 12-17-2019
Mom 1 is told she’s almost out of the (overnight) diapers she brought and the ones in the bag are too small. Response? She’s trying to use them up. Seriously?!? They are too small! I am not putting them on him. Period.

Mom 2 had messaged via app four times and her mother in law via Facebook once. Mom asked if she was still asleep. Nope. Currently eating. Woke right after you left. “What was she doing until then? Playing?” Well she’s three and half months old so there are limited options. What do you think she’s doing?

Mom 3 has done plant based and informed me her child only drinks almond milk. Cool! I only provide whole and 1% but you’re welcome to bring her some!

I’m gonna have to bite my tongue in half today.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Figures.

I always get families giving their notice this time of year and daycare hop to the next one after New Years to try and get out of paying for Christmas/New Years.
Happens every year.
This time of year definitely brings out the "best" in parents

My newest family says to me "Since we are paying for the Christmas vacation closure but won't be returning until another week after you re-open would it be a good compromise if we didn't pay for that second week?"

Um, compromise? I didn't realize the "fees are due 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance or time used" policy was up for debate.

There is nothing to compromise.

Fa la la la laaaaa La la la NO!!
Cat Herder 08:07 AM 12-17-2019
Figures.

Happens every year.
Every year. They all think they invented it, too.

That is why I started giving "discounts" for closures and rolling up tuition to cover them (25 days total) over the other 50 weeks. I also make extra the years I decide to stay open a day or two here and there. It works for me.
Snowmom 08:42 AM 12-17-2019

My newest family says to me "Since we are paying for the Christmas vacation closure but won't be returning until another week after you re-open would it be a good compromise if we didn't pay for that second week?"

Um, compromise? I didn't realize the "fees are due 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance or time used" policy was up for debate.

Baffles the mind!

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Every year. They all think they invented it, too.

That is why I started giving "discounts" for closures and rolling up tuition to cover them (25 days total) over the other 50 weeks. I also make extra the years I decide to stay open a day or two here and there. It works for me.
So true.
I wised up and put in a clause a few years ago: Any notice given between October 1st-December 31st will need to pay for the Christmas break before their enrollment fee is applied to the final notice period or the initial enrollment fee is forfeited (equal to two weeks pay).

They always seem to forget about it and try it anyway. Right around Thanksgiving.

But, at least I get paid for Christmas.
Jupadia 08:45 AM 12-17-2019

It’s the season!
I've got a memo written out for my patents this year. Two are newer and I've not taken vacation with them here. I charge for stat days but not my own vacation days. This year I've got a mix of both during the holidays. Stat days are 25, 26, 1. But I'm taking the 27, 30, 31 off as well for vacation to give myself a week. The notes break it down for parents, so they can tell easy.
Cat Herder 08:53 AM 12-17-2019
So true.
I wised up and put in a clause a few years ago: Any notice given between October 1st-December 31st will need to pay for the Christmas break before their enrollment fee is applied to the final notice period or the initial enrollment fee is forfeited (equal to two weeks pay).

They always seem to forget about it and try it anyway. Right around Thanksgiving.

But, at least I get paid for Christmas.
Brilliant. That never occurred to me.

My vent: I am going to have a horrible afternoon. It is about 15 minutes until our normal lunchtime and we have already eaten and are down for a nap. I had no real choice. Everyone is exhausted from the severe weather last night, most have been up since 3 am with only intermittent sleep. They are all going to think they are here hours late, too. Yay.
Annalee 09:47 AM 12-17-2019

And I don’t see this way of thinking getting better. Some text I get lately make me want to start drinking and I’ve never drank in my life My mamaw has some pain reliever cream and I told her I was gonna start eating that due to my daysbeing so crazy lately
AmyKidsCo 12:30 PM 12-17-2019
Figures.

Happens every year.
That's kind of what I do - I pro-rate my vacation weeks into the other weeks (they pay for 52 weeks in 49 payments) and they don't give me a check the weeks I'm closed. If someone leaves before Christmas or vacation I don't care because I've already been paid for it. Unless they haven't been with me a full year, and if they can't stick out a full year it's probably better they're gone anyway.
CenterTeacher20 08:17 AM 12-18-2019
This has been the longest week everrrrrrrr. Three more full days of kiddos until my 9 day break. We've never taken a full week off for Christmas at our center before, but I made the call this year. I cant wait to relax! But of course the kiddos have been insane this week.
Ms.Kay 10:32 AM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by Jociheart:
This has been the longest week everrrrrrrr. Three more full days of kiddos until my 9 day break. We've never taken a full week off for Christmas at our center before, but I made the call this year. I cant wait to relax! But of course the kiddos have been insane this week.
It is longest week ever!!!! My kids have cabin fever already ...we go from pouring rain to sub zero wind chills!!!!! 4 days...4 days....and Monday was gonna be a light day.....now parents are txting me..." they need to get stuff done" can kids come? oye!!
Leigh 07:38 AM 12-19-2019

New word art sign to put out when decorating for Christmas:

Thinking of trying to negotiate my rates because of the Christmas holidays?

Baby Beluga 08:53 AM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
New word art sign to put out when decorating for Christmas:

Thinking of trying to negotiate my rates because of the Christmas holidays?

Snowmom 06:23 AM 12-20-2019
Influenza outbreak in our schools (literally over 40% of the school pop).

Confirmed Influenza case in my daycare. 2 other kids out with likely symptoms too. Informed all families last night of the confirmed case here.

Still have the rest showing up! Bright and early AND ALL 3 ARE NOT WORKING. Wth? One even has a brand new baby at home. I don't get it.

Lysol is my friend today.
Jupadia 07:08 AM 12-20-2019
My kid was nice enough to wake us up last night, poor thing had to throw up. So hope it's only a 24 hour bug and not the flu. Now he is missing his pajama day at school and his class party. He dose get to spend the day at Nana's and Papa's so he should have some fun. I realy hope none of the rest of us get it from my other guy to the daycare kids and us grownups in the house.
Ms.Kay 09:41 AM 12-20-2019
please tell me why parents give me pictures of their kids?????????????????

Im with them more than they are!!!!!!

&$%#!!
AmyKidsCo 12:02 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:

&$%#!!
No kidding!!

Yesterday was our Christmas Party. It was a rare day when EVERYONE napped. Late. I had to wake them up so we'd have time to do special snack before first pick ups. Today only 2 of 7 are sleeping, 1 is quietly looking at books, baby is fussy, the other 3 are rolling around with their books to stay awake. But the parents will be happy they can put the kids to bed early.
CenterTeacher20 12:40 PM 12-20-2019
I've had 3 cups of coffee today and I'm still EXHAUSTED
284878 05:09 PM 12-30-2019
DCM text me Sunday night, Can the kids come an hour early in the morning. They normally come around 11 but are contracted for earlier. I said OK since it was not earlier than the contract.
DCM comes in and says that she was heading to the hospital to visit a friend. I comment that it makes sense to do it just before work, assuming that was why she needed an extra hour.
Nope, she has the day off. Oh the older dcb has a cold.
CountryRoads 06:13 AM 01-09-2020
Why do kids act up so bad when their parents are here??

They can be good all day, then as soon as they see their mom/dad they lose their minds. They break my rules (which they can follow all day), they don't listen and then I have to step in and parent because their actual parents can't do it themselves - which then leads to crying, screaming, etc.

What makes it worse is the parents try to reason with them. Please, just grab your kid and get out!!

Drives me crazy
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 01-09-2020

They can be good all day, then as soon as they see their mom/dad they lose their minds. They break my rules (which they can follow all day), they don't listen and then I have to step in and parent because their actual parents can't do it themselves - which then leads to crying, screaming, etc.

What makes it worse is the parents try to reason with them. Please, just grab your kid and get out!!

Drives me crazy
Just practice saying that...

"Hey mom/dad, since you aren't going to enforce my rules, please take Johnny and go to the car. I'll see you in the morning."

I've found that calling them out pushes them to parent their kid or leave quickly....either way it's a win for me.

If the kids are old enough (3+) I also have a reward chart for those kids that are well behaved at pick up. They get to choose their activity first the next day etc... positive re-enforcement for their good behavior the night before. That helps alot...especially for those kids that are motivated by rewards.
Ariana 04:44 AM 01-13-2020
Teacher mom comes in at 7:15am with kid. “I am staying home today, we had Dominos last night and my stomach is so bad”. Then proceeds to stand in my porch talking AT me for 20 minutes

I literally started walking away and she was still talking as I was halfway up the stairs. Ridiculous.
Ariana 04:54 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:

&$%#!!
Oh my goodness poor you! I used to get pics and videos moments after a parent left my house having been with their kid for 10 hours.
Ac114 12:01 PM 01-13-2020
DCG (5) had tonsils, adnoids and tubes replaced in her ears on Jan 3rd. Was out all week and returned today on a soft food only diet but mom didn’t bring any foods for her to eat. I only found out from DCG that she can only have soft foods for the next week. Why on earth would a parent not tell me this and why on earth would you not provide some things for you child to eat. I was so unprepared for this today and not happy about it.
Core12 03:18 AM 01-15-2020
Months ago I was given a deposit for a child to start in a few months...still need to get the contract from dcm.
I am acquainted with the child’s mother from an old high school friend. The mother is a single 19 yr-old college student. Dcm asked if we took assistance, I told her, “no,” bc I don’t want one more piece of paperwork to do. (Or waiting for payment or one more regulation). DCM said the child’s father would call me soon regarding our daycare and if I had any issues to let her know.
Father called yesterday during lunch wanting a tour. I asked if everything was ok bc dcm has already given deposit to come to daycare. He said everything was fine just wanted to see our home.
Dcd shows up in a newer Range Rover. He is wearing an Apple Watch and expensive clothes and shoes. He asked our price....I explained $175/week for infants. He was visibly irritated and asked if we took assistance, I explained we did not. He said he was going to let dcm know that he knows she is trying “to get money out of him” bc she told him he could just pay her $400/month and that is not half of the daycare cost. He also said he wasn’t on the birth certificate and therefore wasn’t required by law to pay child support. Also stated he gave up a basketball scholarship in another state after he learned he was going to be a dad and now is going to a local college and working full time.
I said “oh, that’s nice maybe you could play basketball at a college around here and then be able to be with your son.”
He said, “ I won’t be able to work full time and pay Daycare if I play basketball.” Grrr
He seemed like he wasn’t impressed and that we were over valuing our business.
Before he left, he said, “I’ll need a copy of the contract and I will give you a check for my own records vs giving money to dcm.
I need the money but I know this is going to be an ordeal.
I’m going to make sure that dcm signs contract and that dcd is listed as a person to pickup dcb. I’m now wondering is it ok if I just give him a contract without moms signature? Not that he even needs it.
Msdunny 06:58 AM 01-15-2020
Just read a Facebook post by mom of infant who gave me a hard time last Friday when I asked her to keep baby and sister home this week when baby was diagnosed with RSV. I haven't heard from her since her "this is really a hardship" reply. Fast forward to today's (Wednesday) post - apparantly baby has been in the hospital since Saturday, on oxygen, with RSV, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Still nothing from mom. I feel so bad for that baby, but do feel validated that my opinion wasn't wrong last week. I worried FAR too much over that decision.
CountryRoads 07:07 AM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Just read a Facebook post by mom of infant who gave me a hard time last Friday when I asked her to keep baby and sister home this week when baby was diagnosed with RSV. I haven't heard from her since her "this is really a hardship" reply. Fast forward to today's (Wednesday) post - apparantly baby has been in the hospital since Saturday, on oxygen, with RSV, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Still nothing from mom. I feel so bad for that baby, but do feel validated that my opinion wasn't wrong last week. I worried FAR too much over that decision.
Poor baby

But good for you! Imagine if you allowed her to come and then she ended up in the hospital. It probably would've been blamed on you and the daycare.

I had a dcg on oxygen for almost 2 weeks last year because of RSV. When she could come back, dcm let me know that dcg could not get sick again right away due to her immune system being compromised. As if it was my job to make sure that dcg didn't get sick I told dcm that it was out of my control, so it was at her own discretion.

Looking back, I wish I would've told her that dcg couldn't return until she was 100%. If she would have gotten sick again, I know I would've been blamed. Just a heads up for when your dck comes back!
Msdunny 07:38 AM 01-15-2020
Poor baby

But good for you! Imagine if you allowed her to come and then she ended up in the hospital. It probably would've been blamed on you and the daycare.

I had a dcg on oxygen for almost 2 weeks last year because of RSV. When she could come back, dcm let me know that dcg could not get sick again right away due to her immune system being compromised. As if it was my job to make sure that dcg didn't get sick I told dcm that it was out of my control, so it was at her own discretion.

Looking back, I wish I would've told her that dcg couldn't return until she was 100%. If she would have gotten sick again, I know I would've been blamed. Just a heads up for when your dck comes back!
Thanks for the heads up. The problem with this family if the parents aren't always truthful about how sick their kids really are. So she would most likely bring her even if she is still sick. I will have to be extra diligent. I am typing up a letter for mom, outlining a stricter illness policy and possible termination for deception. I don't really know what else to do.
CeriBear 07:31 AM 01-16-2020

Drives me crazy
I had a 4yo who threw a huge fit when mom came to pick him up because he wanted to stay and play. So mommy asks him if he wanted to stay with his friends and Ms. Ceri while she went to Walmart. Really? And this is the same mom who sent him to school in flip flops one day because she couldn’t get him to put on his shoes.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
I had a 4yo who threw a huge fit when mom came to pick him up because he wanted to stay and play. So mommy asks him if he wanted to stay with his friends and Ms. Ceri while she went to Walmart. Really? And this is the same mom who sent him to school in flip flops one day because she couldn’t get him to put on his shoes.
You didn't allow it did you?

Oye~ These parents......
284878 07:43 AM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Core12:
Months ago I was given a deposit for a child to start in a few months...still need to get the contract from dcm.
I am acquainted with the child’s mother from an old high school friend. The mother is a single 19 yr-old college student. Dcm asked if we took assistance, I told her, “no,” bc I don’t want one more piece of paperwork to do. (Or waiting for payment or one more regulation). DCM said the child’s father would call me soon regarding our daycare and if I had any issues to let her know.
Father called yesterday during lunch wanting a tour. I asked if everything was ok bc dcm has already given deposit to come to daycare. He said everything was fine just wanted to see our home.
Dcd shows up in a newer Range Rover. He is wearing an Apple Watch and expensive clothes and shoes. He asked our price....I explained $175/week for infants. He was visibly irritated and asked if we took assistance, I explained we did not. He said he was going to let dcm know that he knows she is trying “to get money out of him” bc she told him he could just pay her $400/month and that is not half of the daycare cost. He also said he wasn’t on the birth certificate and therefore wasn’t required by law to pay child support. Also stated he gave up a basketball scholarship in another state after he learned he was going to be a dad and now is going to a local college and working full time.
I said “oh, that’s nice maybe you could play basketball at a college around here and then be able to be with your son.”
He said, “ I won’t be able to work full time and pay Daycare if I play basketball.” Grrr
He seemed like he wasn’t impressed and that we were over valuing our business.
Before he left, he said, “I’ll need a copy of the contract and I will give you a check for my own records vs giving money to dcm.
I need the money but I know this is going to be an ordeal.
I’m going to make sure that dcm signs contract and that dcd is listed as a person to pickup dcb. I’m now wondering is it ok if I just give him a contract without moms signature? Not that he even needs it.

I do a separate contract from the policy book. He might be asking to see the policies. If yours are all in one, try only printing the policy portions.

Or

Tell DCd that only parents that sign the contract get a copy. That you will be giving a copy to dcm.

That if he is willing to sign, then you would be happy to give him a copy.

From my experience it is best to get them both to sign, I had a DCd try to pull when he didn't sign. I didn't want to deal with the mess, so I termed DCM.
CeriBear 05:23 AM 01-17-2020
You didn't allow it did you?

Oye~ These parents......
I wouldn’t have but as soon as mom mentioned Walmart he wanted to go with her.

Maybe he always gets a toy at Wally World.
CountryRoads 08:08 AM 01-17-2020
Dck (not potty trained AT ALL) shows up in underwear today because according to dcm "she refused to wear a pull-up this morning."

I'll never understand some parents.
Snowmom 08:43 AM 01-17-2020
Dck (not potty trained AT ALL) shows up in underwear today because according to dcm "she refused to wear a pull-up this morning."

I'll never understand some parents.
5 minutes before pick up, I think you should change her back into her underwear.
Tell mom: "She went through 6 diapers today but she knew you were coming to pick her up and she told me mom said she doesn't have to wear diapers at home, so I changed her back into her underwear for you."
CeriBear 06:33 AM 01-18-2020
I just need to rant here. Yesterday was one of my roughest days in the 4 years I have been teaching 3-4 year olds at a center. First of all five of the children didn’t sleep or even rest during naptime. One child had been given a new medicine that morning and one of the side effects is insomnia and hyperactivity. He was nervous and jittery all morning and during nap/rest time I couldn’t get him to lie still or even be quiet. Four other children did not nap and three of them were restless and moving about on their cots, kicking their feet up in the air, playing with their pillows, and asking me when it would be time to get up. I was so busy trying to keep the child who was having the reaction to the medicine relaxed and on his cot that I had to basically tune out the other noise and hope the non nappers didn’t wake others up. I have a couple of kids who really need a nap and sleep the entire two hours. It might not have been as bad if I hadn’t had a sub with me. She didn’t know much about preschoolers as she works in the young toddler room. After rest time I thought things might get better but the children were noisy, one of them got mad and spilled his juice on purpose, and girl drama so bad in the home living center that I had to close it down. To make matters worse I had a headache so the noise bothered me. Normally I have a high tolerance for noise as long as they are not being mean to each other or shouting. I was talking with a parent and I couldn’t really hear them because a group of kids in the block area were being loud so I had to say excuse me for a minute to the parent and turn around and tell my class that they needed to use inside voices. At the end of the day when all the classes combine in one room ( fifteen minutes before closing) a toddler amused herself by dumping out several tubs of toys while I was tying a little girls shoes. Sorry for the long rant but yesterday was rough.
springv 08:58 AM 01-18-2020

Here's my week:
Tuesday, child got mad and bullied the other children so they had to sit in timeout and proceeded to cuss the teacher, hit and anything they could possibly think of so parent was called and talked to the child and was told if they was called again it would be a 30 day suspension because this has been going on for at least six months. And owner has had a meeting with the child's parent and tried to work on a solution and it went well. Parent also contacted a mental health specialist and the child has gone twice and we asked what happened at the second appointment and parent said they suggested taking toys away, timeout and other methods of discipline which we do but doesn't work. Tuesday afternoon, parent got called during rest time because child was acting up and parent came and got child and the administrator was sitting at the desk and didn't remind parent of what was said at the meeting regarding two calls and a 30 day suspension and she came in thursday and brought child and administrator was off and got told that he couldn't stay because he was suspended and mom stated that she was never told that on tuesday and that if she had known she would've made alternate arrangements for care because she has to work. Our administrator was sitting on her tail and didn't proceed to talk to the parent face to face. It was rude and very disrespectful and this isn't the first time she has been like this towards parents or other employees.
Ariana 01:41 PM 01-21-2020
Termed family is using their two weeks.

God give me strength to survive the next two weeks with this kid and this family
Lil_Diddle 08:55 PM 01-21-2020
I run an in home childcare in my basement, completely separate from my living area. A have an assistant and a back up substitute. It is my number one goal to be reliable. I’ve worked through a lot of things that I know some of these parents have called out for at their own job. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I’ve closed unexpectedly, with little to no notice. I make it work. Even if I’m home sick or my children are home sick, we get no peace with the littles downstairs. But we make it work.

But heaven forbid I need to close, all I hear is “what am I supposed to do?” Which to me just seems so unappreciative and just rude. One of the first things I tell these parents is this is a home daycare, always be prepared with a back up plan. Obviously, my assistant and sub are unavailable, I have no idea what you should do. Sometimes it takes all I have to bite my tongue. And I end up apologizing!!! I shouldn’t have to apologize.

I apologized to an angry parent when I took a day off after my first miscarriage. I opened the daycare and came back to close on the day of my grandmothers funeral. I sang songs and played with their kids when my marriage was on the brink of divorce. I’ve worked through major headaches, and when parents come in I put on a happy face and smile like nothing is wrong. When my first grand baby was being born, I usually open at 7 but my assistant or sub couldn’t come in until 8. I had parents griping about that. Two weeks ago I came down with strep. I worked it out with my subs that daycare can be open as usual. In fact I could have used a personal day and got paid, but instead I paid for a sub to be there the full day. Now the night before I took my car to be dropped off at the shop for repairs. So my car wasn’t home. Do you know how grateful these parents were. Firstly only one family asked how I was feeling and told me to feel better. Another accidentally sent me a text ABOUT me, and how she and another parent were talking and my car was not even home. Not sure who that message was meant for, but apparently these parents have conversations about me. I hope she felt terrible when I replied. Now, I have plans to take next Monday off while my child is out of school. Already made plans with her and my nieces. My sub was set to cover me for the day. Well, she is human too and her daughter has to have tubes put in that day. If she doesn’t take this appointment it could be two more weeks to get her in. I completely understand. My other assistant has plans for the day as well, and Mondays are her day off and we have an agreement where she gets no school days off. It was hard, and I debated but I finally decided I would keep my plans with my children and nieces and use my FIRST personal day of the school year. (I go by school years. Not calendar years). Almost a weeks notice. I sent that message out 12 hours ago and only one response. (I should mention today was a snow day, so only two families were here) so now I’m stressed that my families are angry with me, talking behind my back. Thank goodness for my talk with my assistant who convinced me to take the day and told me I deserve it.

This current group of families, is just not my favorite. They are not personable. I only have one family that makes me feel appreciated and thanks me for all the work I do with their child. I know there is no solution other than to vent, but honestly I think the way the parents behave is causing me to burn out more than the actual working with children. I want to be seen as a person rather than just a service. I thought that’s why people chose home childcare, because it is more personable.
Josiegirl 02:50 AM 01-22-2020
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I run an in home childcare in my basement, completely separate from my living area. A have an assistant and a back up substitute. It is my number one goal to be reliable. I’ve worked through a lot of things that I know some of these parents have called out for at their own job. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I’ve closed unexpectedly, with little to no notice. I make it work. Even if I’m home sick or my children are home sick, we get no peace with the littles downstairs. But we make it work.

But heaven forbid I need to close, all I hear is “what am I supposed to do?” Which to me just seems so unappreciative and just rude. One of the first things I tell these parents is this is a home daycare, always be prepared with a back up plan. Obviously, my assistant and sub are unavailable, I have no idea what you should do. Sometimes it takes all I have to bite my tongue. And I end up apologizing!!! I shouldn’t have to apologize.

I apologized to an angry parent when I took a day off after my first miscarriage. I opened the daycare and came back to close on the day of my grandmothers funeral. I sang songs and played with their kids when my marriage was on the brink of divorce. I’ve worked through major headaches, and when parents come in I put on a happy face and smile like nothing is wrong. When my first grand baby was being born, I usually open at 7 but my assistant or sub couldn’t come in until 8. I had parents griping about that. Two weeks ago I came down with strep. I worked it out with my subs that daycare can be open as usual. In fact I could have used a personal day and got paid, but instead I paid for a sub to be there the full day. Now the night before I took my car to be dropped off at the shop for repairs. So my car wasn’t home. Do you know how grateful these parents were. Firstly only one family asked how I was feeling and told me to feel better. Another accidentally sent me a text ABOUT me, and how she and another parent were talking and my car was not even home. Not sure who that message was meant for, but apparently these parents have conversations about me. I hope she felt terrible when I replied. Now, I have plans to take next Monday off while my child is out of school. Already made plans with her and my nieces. My sub was set to cover me for the day. Well, she is human too and her daughter has to have tubes put in that day. If she doesn’t take this appointment it could be two more weeks to get her in. I completely understand. My other assistant has plans for the day as well, and Mondays are her day off and we have an agreement where she gets no school days off. It was hard, and I debated but I finally decided I would keep my plans with my children and nieces and use my FIRST personal day of the school year. (I go by school years. Not calendar years). Almost a weeks notice. I sent that message out 12 hours ago and only one response. (I should mention today was a snow day, so only two families were here) so now I’m stressed that my families are angry with me, talking behind my back. Thank goodness for my talk with my assistant who convinced me to take the day and told me I deserve it.

This current group of families, is just not my favorite. They are not personable. I only have one family that makes me feel appreciated and thanks me for all the work I do with their child. I know there is no solution other than to vent, but honestly I think the way the parents behave is causing me to burn out more than the actual working with children. I want to be seen as a person rather than just a service. I thought that’s why people chose home childcare, because it is more personable.
Oh wow, it's got to be hard working with such unappreciative disrespectful parents. Any way at all you can start searching for new dcfs? Replace one at a time? At the very least, I think I'd send home letters to all(except the 1 understanding family ), explaining to them this is exactly why they need dependable back-up plans in place, you are an in-home provider offering personal family care, life happens to us all and you WILL need to take time off as it happens, due to illness and unexpected life situations. They either need to hire their own personal nanny(and hopefully someone who never ever gets sick or has a life)or bring their child to a center. I'd come right out and tell them because obviously bending over backwards to be there for them hasn't done a thing for their appreciation. People like this pi$$ me off to no end. Yeh, it may be frustrating to play this juggle act as a parent but they also need to be more understanding too. And these are probably the 1st ones to take a day off 'just because'.
I once had a dcm who asked me 'whatever will I do?' when I closed for a week because my mom died. It took all I had not to tell her to go directly to he!! and I didn't care what she did.
PLEASE don't be afraid your dcps will be angry; don't let their emotions and self-produced issues due to lack of pre-planning become your prison because you WILL suffer burn-out to the 100th degree.
Good luck!!
CountryRoads 06:38 AM 01-22-2020

I'm so sorry you are dealing with rude, unappreciative parents!

I wish parents understood how much we sacrifice. I have in my contract that back-up care is encouraged for instances like last minute closures, doctor appointments, etc.(But, no one reads those things ) I've had to learn that I'm entitled to be closed whenever I want/need to be and it is the parents' problem if they have no back-up.

It's parents like the ones you are describing that have made me learn that. They take off work for vacations, doctor appointments, even days to do absolutely nothing, but for some reason it's frowned upon if we providers do the same thing.

It's frustrating and one of the things I struggle with in this line of work everyday. I always tell dh that this job would be so much better if we never had to deal with the parents

Don't feel bad AT ALL about taking that day off with your child! You will regret it if you don't.

Oh, and the families that got caught talking about you (hopefully it wasn't anything horrible?!), should be so embarrassed. I know I would be.
Ac114 08:01 AM 01-22-2020

I am so sorry you are dealing with unappreciative parents. My New Years resolution was to not feel guilt for taking time off, for appts, for my children, for a mental health day. Whatever I needed a day off for I deserved to have off.

I would also having a hard time biting my tongue or even allowing the DCF’s that we’re talking about me behind my back. How incredibly rude and childish to do to anyone, let alone someone who takes care of their kids day in and day out. And I would probably term immediately and let them know exactly why.

Go enjoy your day off with you kids and niece and not think about those families at all.
Jupadia 11:42 AM 01-22-2020

Stop worrying about if their mad, it's not your problem. If someone says something you dont need to give them a full explanation of why your taking time off and dont have backup that day. For the most part I have backup when I do need a day, last year April my backup was unable to come in, but my mouth was swelling and I had to go to the detist so i closed for the day and just said do to emergency circumstances I'm closed tomorrow. Parents had about 12 hours notice . I dont say why backups not available, just that it's not and I'm closed.

As for the family that yelled at you for taking time off after a miscarriage, they would be out my door and never comming back. I had to close for my seconed one last summer for a day (friday so had a long weekend to recover) for a DC operation. I even had to tell one family there last day was a no go. If even one parent had said something about it incovinacing them I dont know what I would have done.

As long as you are following your own policies I would not worry.
Ariana 11:44 AM 01-22-2020
Lil_Diddle no matter what you do SOMEONE will gripe about it! There is a really good quote that says “what I think of me is my business, what you think of me is yours”. It really is not about you so you do what you want to do and ignore them. Bending over backwards for others has always blown back in my face so I don’t do it anymore! Take the day off with zero apologies. They will come to respect you more, trust me.
Unregistered 11:58 AM 01-22-2020
Have a DCM who is due in May, 2 weeks ago she said to plan on having her school ager here next school year as well. Well today 7 year old says he is starting after school care and wont be coming anymore. So I text mom and said i hear B is leaving us! Sad day! And she proceeded to tell me still wants to have baby in my care come Sept. But now she just left me with 2 open spots for summer care. I was fine having one open spot/attempting to find temporary care.. but not thrilled about having to fill 2 spots... I told her she would need to pay a holding fee to keep spot open for new baby come june when spot is open and available..so she said she is going to find new DC options.. what would you have done !?
Cat Herder 12:44 PM 01-22-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have a DCM who is due in May, 2 weeks ago she said to plan on having her school ager here next school year as well. Well today 7 year old says he is starting after school care and wont be coming anymore. So I text mom and said i hear B is leaving us! Sad day! And she proceeded to tell me still wants to have baby in my care come Sept. But now she just left me with 2 open spots for summer care. I was fine having one open spot/attempting to find temporary care.. but not thrilled about having to fill 2 spots... I told her she would need to pay a holding fee to keep spot open for new baby come june when spot is open and available..so she said she is going to find new DC options.. what would you have done !?
I would have charged her full tuition for both slots the very day they became available, even if one at a time. Never hold slots for free. Always fill them first come, first served.

Every day you hold a slot is income being taken from your family.
Unregistered 03:25 PM 01-22-2020
I would have charged her full tuition for both slots the very day they became available, even if one at a time. Never hold slots for free. Always fill them first come, first served.

Every day you hold a slot is income being taken from your family.
The infant slot is not available until june, but she was paying for her son's. You make me feel like I made the right choice! I seem to be the mean provider in the area. One who actually charges their late pick up fee and wont hold spots for free..
Cat Herder 04:15 PM 01-22-2020
The infant slot is not available until june, but she was paying for her son's. You make me feel like I made the right choice! I seem to be the mean provider in the area. One who actually charges their late pick up fee and wont hold spots for free..
You did. We can't keep taking from our own families with the hope that clients will appreciate it. They won't. They will always end up doing what works best for their families. We should do no different. No need to end up broke and burnt out.
Ariana 05:11 PM 01-22-2020
The other providers won’t last longer than a year or two!
Josiegirl 03:08 AM 01-23-2020
You did. We can't keep taking from our own families with the hope that clients will appreciate it. They won't. They will always end up doing what works best for their families. We should do no different. No need to end up broke and burnt out.
Ain't that the truth!!! Chances are if she's switching dcproviders that easily, she wasn't being very reliable/trustworthy anyways; plus after telling you her SA would be coming and they're not? What'll she do when schools are closed? Let those families go who don't respect and appreciate you as a business and carer of their child/ren. All those 'nice' lol providers will learn a lot slower than you did, that people WILL take advantage for their own needs and not give you any consideration at all. Doesn't take long for burn-out to happen and providers get the losing end of the deal. Nope, don't be that business owner.
Oh and I bet 99% of the providers here would've done as you did so PLEASE don't be 2nd guessing yourself.
Unregistered 04:16 AM 01-23-2020
Thank you everyone for the words! I've only been in business 6 months and I'm scared to get a bad rap I guess! All other providers were like I'll pretty much do anything I can to keep a good family. And I'm just like well when her son was attending my daycare I would've helped her out a bit with the holding fee. But not if shes pulling him in February to go to after school care somewhere else.. and then I'm losing that income..plus the summer income from him.. and then I also hold the infant spot all summer.. like no way. But all the other providers are like I guess we would still take her anyway.. and I'm willing to if the spot doesn't fill in june.but I feel it will.
284878 12:25 PM 01-23-2020
Thank you everyone for the words! I've only been in business 6 months and I'm scared to get a bad rap I guess! All other providers were like I'll pretty much do anything I can to keep a good family. And I'm just like well when her son was attending my daycare I would've helped her out a bit with the holding fee. But not if shes pulling him in February to go to after school care somewhere else.. and then I'm losing that income..plus the summer income from him.. and then I also hold the infant spot all summer.. like no way. But all the other providers are like I guess we would still take her anyway.. and I'm willing to if the spot doesn't fill in june.but I feel it will.
When I opened I toured a family that asked for 4 days of care in the email, during the tour they said they only needed 3 days by the end of the tour they said that they may only need 2 days. Every time they dropped a day, my daily rate went up. That mom got mad at me for not using the food program fully (at that time the other family brought lunch) - when I vented to my sister about this family, she said that she knew them and they were "good people" and that I should lower my rate from $28 to $20 (to equal the dc that they had, that "closed") so that I could have them in my dc. I said no thank you. If they were "good people" they would not have treated me the way they did and their other DC would not have "closed" (aka termed them)

You did the right thing and so did I.
Lil_Diddle 07:15 PM 01-23-2020
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and empowerment. Today I spoke up to one of these bully parents and pretty much told her if this daycare is not working for her she has other options. I feel so much better, I did it with no apologies and I feel a new strength. And so grateful for my assistant and sub who remind me that these parents should be more appreciative and I deserve my day off.

So update on the parent that made me stand up today. This is the same parent that sent the text about me to me. Honestly, I think she’s one of those people that thrive off of drama.
Anyways, I’ve been working towards having teachers kids the last few years. So she is a teacher, new to my daycare this year. And has signed a contract with my new handbook geared towards my teachers families. I still have two families that are non-teachers and this is their last year and they are grandfathered in to my old handbook.
So here in the Midwest we have had nasty weather and schools have been closed all week. My new handbook says I am closed on no school days, including snow days. Well I have been taking the two non-teacher kids because their parents have to go to work. So today the bully teacher sends me a message asking if I’m closed. I reply technically yes, but I do take these two kids. She argues that that is not fair and that she is paying me for the entire week plus I’m taking Monday off now and I won’t even watch her kid. I kindly reminded her of the handbook and the contract that she signed, that I enjoy my low days, and there is no reason to have children on the road if unnecessary. I reminded her the weather is no fault of my own that is why I get paid, I pay my assistant and remind her that she is getting paid for not working. I then told her if this is not going to work for her family she has other options. I told her I know other home providers that close and do not have subs. And I reminded her she came from a center where she had to pay for summer childcare even though she didn’t need it. I do not charge for summers but teachers pay from the first day of school to the last, no exceptions. The two non-teacher kids do not get that, they pay for summers and have 10 excused absences.

She sent one more message, that she just thought it would be a nice gesture since I was closing Monday. I just reminded her that I follow my handbook and no. Honestly, my handbook is long because, nice gestures usually leads parents to take advantage. And after so many issues with her she is the last person I’d do a nice gesture for. I ended it with
“Enjoy your snow day” I haven’t heard from her since.

So again thank you for listening to me vent, offering advice and reminding me to find my backbone. It felt great to tell her exactly what I wanted without offering apologies.
Josiegirl 02:42 AM 01-24-2020
LilDiddle, congratulations for being upfront with dcm!! Sometimes confrontation IS hard BUT it also earns the respect you so deserve! Worst case scenario is she keeps shopping for cheaper dc who she can call the shots with and you can get a more respectful dcf. Best case scenario is she learned to respect and appreciate her provider who should be 1 of the most important people in her child/ren's young years!!
Ariana 02:23 PM 01-26-2020
Good for you Lil_Diddle

The more you confront the easier it gets. Next time I wouldn’t even respond to her text. She knows the rules, she knows what your contract says and is trying to argue with you. Next time don’t waste your time by opening a dialogue with her about your policies. Any time you respond you open yourself up to her abuse.

I would seriously think about terming this sewer rat!
Ariana 07:22 AM 01-27-2020
5 more days with termed family. Dad comes in today says “she slept a really long time tonight because she skipped her morning nap, so can you skip the nap too today”.....ummmm dude why do you think I am terming you? Your kid is tired all.the.damn.time. It is great that you can turn on the tv to entertain her 24/7 but we are a no tv daycare so she struggles from about 10:30 until nap at 12:30pm if I don’t nap her. Then she sleeps for 2 hours and is rolling around on the floor rubbing her eyes and yawning again by 4:30pm

I do not know what is wrong with this child. No idea. Parents want to spend as little time with her as possible so it is on me to keep her awake all day like I don’t know what I am doing.

I think I might change my contract to including an immediate term at my discretion and refund the deposit rather than deal with a crappy family for two weeks after the term.
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 01-27-2020
I think I might change my contract to including an immediate term at my discretion and refund the deposit rather than deal with a crappy family for two weeks after the term.
And now you know how I got there. I take no deposit and preen my waitlist regularly so I can term at will. My maximum refund will only ever be up to 4 days since I am paid in advance for the week. I keep that amount in cash on my desk to make me smile knowing I have the nuclear option.

Simplified.
nanglgrl 04:15 PM 01-27-2020
Uggghhhh...potty training. After so many years trying to convince parents to wait until their child was actually ready and meets certain criteria (with very limited success). I’ve given up. I’ve probably initiated and successfully “trained” at least 50 children but what do I know.

As long as they wear pull-ups over their underwear if they still have accidents I’ve come to the point where I just say “whatever” and just do as the parents ask. Reminders every hour? Fine. Potty chair instead of big toilet with steps and a handle because that’s what is causing the problem? If you say so. They think it’s normal for me to have to ask the child every time, they think it’s normal that the child always says they went when they didn’t, they think it’s normal for the child to sit on the potty forever until I tell them they need to get down because it’s been 10 minutes, they are fine with the child holding it all day as long as they aren’t peeing in diapers.

I’ve seen what all of this leads to. I’ve dealt with many children who have come to me “trained” and were an emotional and physical wreck because of it. In the end they usually end up actually trained much later than they probably would have if they had taken the lead instead of adults. Telling the insistent parents this information does no good.

These are the children that take forever to be fully trained instead of 1-2 weeks when adults wait until the child is ready. These are the children who seem successful but then start having accidents as 3.5, throw tantrums about trying, end up with UTI’s, have accidents any time they’re not reminded etc.

It’s always the first child. The parents with older siblings usually listen to me and let me take the lead. I can’t have this fight anymore. I’m exhausted. It doesn’t matter what information I send their child is always unique and doing so great at home unless I listen to the contradictory information about what’s really happening at home that the parent accidentally discloses. I give a packet full of actual studies and information..it doesn’t matter.

Trying to tell parents that their child is in the early stage of training where their body is partially ready (they can hold it) but their brain isn’t (can’t actually go without being reminded, needs to sit for long periods to go etc.) and that we can remind them all the time for months or wait until all systems align and have the entire process completed in a week is fruitless.

I can’t do it. I want to scream.

Conversation today:
parent: did he stay dry all day?
Me: yes, but I think he’s holding it
parent: well I guess a UTI is better than diapers

No, no. No.

a different parent: Did you see if he actually peed when he was on the potty?
Me: no, he sits for a really long time and only goes to the potty with a reminder.
Parent: can you watch to see if he actually goes. I dont want him to get a UTI.
Me: I’d have to spend an hour in the bathroom a day to catch it coming out and once it’s in the toilet I can’t tell. I have other children to care for and can’t spend that much time in the bathroom.
Parent: it’s such an individualized process with each child. He needs a lot of time to sit and get comfortable with going.

No. No. No.

Ugh.
Baby Beluga 08:58 AM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Conversation today:
parent: did he stay dry all day?
Me: yes, but I think he’s holding it
parent: well I guess a UTI is better than diapers

No, no. No.

That poor child
Annalee 10:57 AM 01-28-2020
And now you know how I got there. I take no deposit and preen my waitlist regularly so I can term at will. My maximum refund will only ever be up to 4 days since I am paid in advance for the week. I keep that amount in cash on my desk to make me smile knowing I have the nuclear option.

Simplified.
I like this idea
Unregistered 11:15 AM 01-28-2020
If one more parent tells me their kids fever is due to the sweater they are wearing I'm going to flip my lid! Seriously do they think I'm that stupid? Or maybe they are that stupid and actually believe it's from the sweater. OMG!
Ac114 09:49 AM 01-29-2020
2 out of 3 of my kids have the flu. Had to close today and will be closed tomorrow. One parent said I guess we will make alternate arrangements.
Hmm I guess you will. Would you like to come over and have little Johnny get the flu too?!
Rockgirl 11:40 AM 01-29-2020
New daycare family:

During the initial call from dcm, when she asked the basic questions about my daycare, I told her my hours are 7:30-5:30. During the interview with both parents, I told them my hours are 7:30-5:30, and that they’ll see the front door open and porch light on when it’s time to come in (I actually do this at 7:27-7:28).

On dcb’s first day, dcm dropped off around 8, and dcd picked up around 4:00. He said, “When’s the earliest I can drop off?” Once again, I said 7:30.

The next morning while I was getting ready for work, I heard something, and looked out the peephole. There was dcd, trying to open my locked front door. It was 7:19. I went about my business of getting ready, and they went back to their car. I opened the door at regular time, and turned on the porch light. Neither of us mentioned it, but the next morning, they were parked out front at 7:16. Since then, he is out there early every day, and I never open the door early. If he wants to sit outside in the dark, that’s on him!
Ariana 11:54 AM 01-29-2020

Simplified.
Kill. Me. Now

I have never had a parent take me up on the last two weeks so this is totally new!! It sucks.
Unregistered 07:26 AM 01-30-2020
Kill. Me. Now

I have never had a parent take me up on the last two weeks so this is totally new!! It sucks.

I gave a family a your care will be done at the end of the week notice, (they were so rude and disrespectful after three weeks of this behavior i was done with them). DCM text me back and said well obviously DCB would not be treated well in your care and your home is no longer safe for MY BABY! We will not be coming back the rest of the week. I just said ok! and shook my head... some people
CountryRoads 06:38 AM 01-31-2020
My vent for the day:

Center is closing in my town. Now all of a sudden there are several people offering "daycare", illegally. Must be licensed in my state for more than 2 kids.

And to think they are probably taking more kids than I (a licensed, legal daycare) am allowed to take and probably making more money than me for less work.

Cat Herder 06:48 AM 01-31-2020
My vent for the day:

Center is closing in my town. Now all of a sudden there are several people offering "daycare", illegally. Must be licensed in my state for more than 2 kids.

And to think they are probably taking more kids than I (a licensed, legal daycare) am allowed to take and probably making more money than me for less work.

Same here. Licensing has known for over a year. Does not care.
Annalee 07:02 AM 01-31-2020
Same here. Licensing has known for over a year. Does not care.
My food program sponsor observes the surrounding 8-10 counties and she has close to 40 unregulated providers. Even though the state has cut down the count they can count for reimbursement, they still have many many kids there she tells me. She tried reporting them but no one listens.
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My food program sponsor observes the surrounding 8-10 counties and she has close to 40 unregulated providers. Even though the state has cut down the count they can count for reimbursement, they still have many many kids there she tells me. She tried reporting them but no one listens.
But if anyone who was once licensed gets caught they will go to the ends of the earth to get them. Playing by the rules is awesome.
Cat Herder 10:59 AM 02-04-2020
Today I had three friends/acquaintances all posting those infant month prop photos that are so popular. "I am two months old, today!!" YKWIM

All three with a loaded diaper. Do other people notice that immediately, first thing *Bam!!* loaded diaper? Or has this job ruined me forever?
Ac114 11:11 AM 02-04-2020
Today I had three friends/acquaintances all posting those infant month prop photos that are so popular. "I am two months old, today!!" YKWIM

All three with a loaded diaper. Do other people notice that immediately, first thing *Bam!!* loaded diaper? Or has this job ruined me forever?
I notice this too! Especially when they post videos or pictures with their toddlers diapers sagging to the ground. Makes me cringe!
Josiegirl 12:28 PM 02-04-2020

I notice this too! Especially when they post videos or pictures with their toddlers diapers sagging to the ground. Makes me cringe!
You know how when you live with something so often that you hardly notice it anymore? Just sayin'.
CountryRoads 06:57 AM 02-05-2020
I'm so over illness.

It seems never ending and it's really frustrating not knowing who dosed and dropped. I suspect I've had 2 families do it this week.

So. over. it.
Unregistered 07:06 AM 02-05-2020
I'm so over illness.

It seems never ending and it's really frustrating not knowing who dosed and dropped. I suspect I've had 2 families do it this week.

So. over. it.
YES!!!!!!! in 5 days Ive used 10 boxes of tissues!!!!! If I wipe another nose.. I will scream!!!!!! and of course...everyone sick from........daycare.
CountryRoads 08:02 AM 02-05-2020
YES!!!!!!! in 5 days Ive used 10 boxes of tissues!!!!! If I wipe another nose.. I will scream!!!!!! and of course...everyone sick from........daycare.
It's always daycare! I guess their kids must never go in public and live in a bubble?
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 02-05-2020
It's always daycare! I guess their kids must never go in public and live in a bubble?
Every time I have a DC parent blame daycare for their child's illness I have been responding with;

"Yes, daycare seems to be where all the kids pick up their illnesses but usually that's because so many parents bring their sick kids to daycare. Maybe if parents got smart enough to keep their sick kids home, there wouldn't be so many illnesses picked up from daycare."

They usually don't know how to respond to that.
Either because they are guilty of dumping their sick kid or because it's true. Daycare IS a breeding ground for illnesses.
Ariana 05:03 PM 02-05-2020
Whenever a parent makes a comment that they went to *insert various kid jungle gym biological cesspool play area here* I make a comment about how many germs are there and ‘I hope you washed your hands’ and then when they inevitably come down with something and they say “is anyone sick at daycare” I say “no, pretty sure it was the jungle gym”
Josiegirl 02:30 AM 02-06-2020
Along the lines of illness-even with dcks traipsing through the doors daily with 1 runny nose after another, I was always pretty lucky in maybe contracting something once a year. My dh is on his 3rd cold since Christmas. He works at a high school so yes, he's around lots of sick kids. He said I must've built up an immunity being exposed all the time. I said yeh maybe BUT they say the best defense of warding off germs is washing your hands often. *hint hint* He just never does. Just ick.
Unregistered 09:55 AM 02-06-2020
Is it neglect when parents drop their kid off in the exact same dirty clothes the child was in yesterday after leaving my dc?

I mean, why do parents think I won’t notice? Gross. Give that child some clean clothes so he can appreciate what it is like to feel clean!

And yeah, I figured out dcb was in underwear when he wet himself. Thanks for the late heads up. If they want me to actively potty train, they are going to give me more money per diem. Sorry.

Honestly, do they expect me to do laundry all day? (Because you know they didn’t send potty trainer dc kid with a change of clothes. Do they expect me to clean up crap and urine off my floors? All so they can save on diapers?
CountryRoads 07:21 AM 02-11-2020
Dcm dropped off dcg. Said she has an ear infection, no fever but gave her Tylenol this morning.

I just sent out a letter last week about illness. One of the things I put in it was to please not medicate your child prior to drop-off as it hides symptoms.

But, I said nothing. What is wrong with me? Anyone have some backbone I can borrow?
Cat Herder 07:31 AM 02-11-2020
Dcm dropped off dcg. Said she has an ear infection, no fever but gave her Tylenol this morning.

I just sent out a letter last week about illness. One of the things I put in it was to please not medicate your child prior to drop-off as it hides symptoms.

But, I said nothing. What is wrong with me? Anyone have some backbone I can borrow?
Be careful what you ask for.

If it was a diagnosed ear infection motrin would have been the better choice and the ped would have told her so. Tylenol is an antiplatelet for fever. Motrin is an anti-inflammatory for swelling pain. You may have been played.

The good news is that you will know for sure in 4 hours instead of 8.
Ariana 06:56 PM 02-11-2020

Is she on antibiotics? That would be the only logical reason for no fever with an infection.

You’ll get a backbone when you get mad enough
Unregistered 09:20 AM 02-18-2020
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and empowerment. Today I spoke up to one of these bully parents and pretty much told her if this daycare is not working for her she has other options. I feel so much better, I did it with no apologies and I feel a new strength. And so grateful for my assistant and sub who remind me that these parents should be more appreciative and I deserve my day off.

So update on the parent that made me stand up today. This is the same parent that sent the text about me to me. Honestly, I think she’s one of those people that thrive off of drama.
Anyways, I’ve been working towards having teachers kids the last few years. So she is a teacher, new to my daycare this year. And has signed a contract with my new handbook geared towards my teachers families. I still have two families that are non-teachers and this is their last year and they are grandfathered in to my old handbook.
So here in the Midwest we have had nasty weather and schools have been closed all week. My new handbook says I am closed on no school days, including snow days. Well I have been taking the two non-teacher kids because their parents have to go to work. So today the bully teacher sends me a message asking if I’m closed. I reply technically yes, but I do take these two kids. She argues that that is not fair and that she is paying me for the entire week plus I’m taking Monday off now and I won’t even watch her kid. I kindly reminded her of the handbook and the contract that she signed, that I enjoy my low days, and there is no reason to have children on the road if unnecessary. I reminded her the weather is no fault of my own that is why I get paid, I pay my assistant and remind her that she is getting paid for not working. I then told her if this is not going to work for her family she has other options. I told her I know other home providers that close and do not have subs. And I reminded her she came from a center where she had to pay for summer childcare even though she didn’t need it. I do not charge for summers but teachers pay from the first day of school to the last, no exceptions. The two non-teacher kids do not get that, they pay for summers and have 10 excused absences.

She sent one more message, that she just thought it would be a nice gesture since I was closing Monday. I just reminded her that I follow my handbook and no. Honestly, my handbook is long because, nice gestures usually leads parents to take advantage. And after so many issues with her she is the last person I’d do a nice gesture for. I ended it with
“Enjoy your snow day” I haven’t heard from her since.

So again thank you for listening to me vent, offering advice and reminding me to find my backbone. It felt great to tell her exactly what I wanted without offering apologies.
I would have asked her if she would like to drive on to school and open her classroom for the day so that all the parents of her students could drop them off so they could go to work? She wants you to work on day off so why shouldn't she?
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58  ... Last
Reply Up