Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another preschool question
MsJoy 02:58 AM 11-24-2010
Just wondering, for those of you who offer a preschool program--do you think it's important to wait for the fall to start this? I'm really anxious to begin and would like to start in January but I wonder if parents would be looking at that time of the year. Any thoughts on this?
kidkair 04:01 AM 11-24-2010
I'd start whenever you are ready too. You may not get a lot of takers right now and get more come fall but I personally know a parent who was looking for Jan start for preschool.
Crystal 05:36 AM 11-24-2010
January could be a very good time. I wouldn't wait. The sooner you start, the sooner you fill your spaces. Start advertising NOW!
CKSher 09:40 AM 11-24-2010
I opened my daycare in April and and I started my preschool program in May. I only did it in May and June and then took the summer off from it and started it back up in Sept. My kids had no problem with picking it right back up again.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:22 PM 11-24-2010
We usually get some new children in our preschool program in January. Like Kidkair mntioned, you may not get very many takers right away, but depending on your location and the available preschools in your area, you could end up with enough to begin with. A lot of parents pull their children out of preschool mid-year to find another one. Maybe set out a sign and start advertising and everything else as if you're beginning in January, then let the parents know when they call that you just want to see if there's enough interest to start in January. If you get several phone calls, you know you're all set. Otherwise, you'll know to wait.
It would also depend on your own situation. Do you have a job you'd have to quit first? Do you have enough income from another source that it wouldn't matter if you weren't full for this upcoming 2nd semester?
MsJoy 04:32 PM 11-24-2010
Great, thanks for the encouragement! I agree, there's no harm being done if I start advertising (now--I need to get on the ball!) and see if there's any interest. The local librarian mentioned she's had at least one mom ask her recently about preschool's in the area. Our school's free preschool program has been run by lottery in the past few years as there aren't enough available slots.

And no, I won't need to quit a job. I'm a writer by trade, which I now do during nap times and at night. But until January I'm doing childcare for some toddlers who will be returning to their regular preschool at the start of the new year (there program was closed as the teacher is on maternity leave). So it will be just myself, my son (19 months) and one little girl (15 months) that I take care of full-time once the new year rolls around. I think I can definitely go forward with the preschool and I'm psyched to begin!

Now another question--does anyone have a curriculum they use which they think is absolutely fabulous?
Reply Up