Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG First Day
Nickel 09:03 AM 09-24-2012
So I started a new dcg today. dcm told me that she was going to be here at 9:15. So I waited until about 9:50 and sent an email:

Dear dcm,

I have dcg schedule for child care today from 9:15-5:00. I ask that you let me know when your child is not attending so that I can properly plan my day. If I do not hear from you by noon tomorrow I will assume you no longer need my services.

Thank you and have a nice day
Provider

Then dcd shows up at 10:15 and I wasn't even going to answer the door at first. So I let them in and dcd tells me he is terrible with directions and couldn't find my house. He was also late for work and work even called him while he was here and asking where he was.

I felt so bad for sending that email and was embarrassed, so I didn't mention it. But I know I will have to say something when dcg gets picked up tonight... I sort of feel like a jerk, but my other dcg was out sick today, so if they weren't going to show I could have done other things. Or if they were going to be late, I could have gotten more done around the house. But I didn't want to be caught out in the garage or in the shower when they arrived kwim?

So what should I say to dcm? Her daughter has also been going from quiet to screaming/crying for the last 30 min. I am going to make an early lunch and then put her for a nap and hopefully the afternoon will be better. I sure hope so because I have another interview this evening.
momma2girls 10:22 AM 09-24-2012
I placed the following in my contract- if you are arriving late, please call and inform me. If you do not call, and you are over an hr. later that contracted time, I assume you are not coming, and I will make plans for the day. This includes walks, etc...
It only has happened once, and they couldnt find me. The family just thought they could drop off wheneveer they felt like it!!!
lovemykidstoo 10:42 AM 09-24-2012
I wouldn't feel bad about the email at all. It's rude if they don't show up on time and just assume you have nothing better to do than sit there and look out the window waiting for them. I would just tell the mom that you sent it and make sure they both have your number and tell her to call next time. Was the father not at the meeting? How did he not know where you lived?
EarthyMom 11:25 AM 09-24-2012
Is there anything in your handbook or contract that states a phone call is required if the child will be arriving more then x minutes late? If not maybe adjust? Im guessing here but trying to help. Maybe a consequence?
familyschoolcare 11:31 AM 09-24-2012
If dad was that lost he should have pulled over and called you
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 09-24-2012
Why do you have to say anything to the DCM? You meant what you said and they hadn't showed up at the time you sent it so I surely wouldn't feel bad. Dad could have easily called and let you know he was lost.

As a matter of fact, I would probably take the opportunity to let DCM and DCD know that they MUST call if they aren't coming or are going to be late as it is not only respectful but necessary for you to plan your day.

IMHO, 10-15 minutes is late. An hour is kind of unaccpetable with no contact.
Nickel 11:41 AM 09-24-2012
Thank you all for making me feel better! I will tell dcm that they do need to call if there hours are going to change. I even pushed back snack time so the dcg could eat with us, thinking that would help the transition if she was busy. And yes, he should have called and he WAS at the meeting, but I guess she drove??? idk. But it was very rude and honestly I was about to get in the car and go do the errands I needed to run.

The couple is very young and this IS their first time using daycare. I will also have to check my contract and make sure that I have stated that they MUST call. I will talk to dcm and let her know that she must call if she will be more than 15 minutes late because I do plan field trips and activities and next time I may not be home if they are late.

Thank you ladies!!! I feel so much better now. I didn't want to sound rude, but I could have gotten a lot done in that hour, kwim?
lovemykidstoo 11:59 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why do you have to say anything to the DCM?

As a matter of fact, I would probably take the opportunity to let DCM and DCD know that they MUST call if they aren't coming or are going to be late as it is not only respectful but necessary for you to plan your day.

That would be the only reason I would bring it up to DCM, is to set her straight. Sometimes people are just clueless and you need to spell it out for them. They are lucky you didn't leave. I would have been tempted to. I often wonder in a case like that, how they would feel if you left in the morning and came back in an hour and they were there waiting for you and you give them some excuse as to why you weren't there. Wonder how they would like it if the shoe were on the other foot.
Nickel 12:03 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That would be the only reason I would bring it up to DCM, is to set her straight. Sometimes people are just clueless and you need to spell it out for them. They are lucky you didn't leave. I would have been tempted to. I often wonder in a case like that, how they would feel if you left in the morning and came back in an hour and they were there waiting for you and you give them some excuse as to why you weren't there. Wonder how they would like it if the shoe were on the other foot.
i could just imagine the look on their faces!!! "oh sorry. i couldnt find the front door!!!" teeheeeheeee!!!!!
lovemykidstoo 12:16 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
i could just imagine the look on their faces!!! "oh sorry. i couldnt find the front door!!!" teeheeeheeee!!!!!
Bwa ha ha ha!! Wouldn't it be fun to do some of the things that are done to us. I want to go sit by one of my mom's desks and cry all day LMAO!
Nickel 02:27 PM 09-24-2012

omg I just busted out laughing!!! Can you imagine???

In anycase, dcm apologized profusely and said it would never happen again! I guess dcd overslept and then got lost on the way here, but a phone call or text would have been nice!

Oh, well, she apologized, so I feel better. If it happens again....

Now I'm going to relax for a few minutes before I have to get ready for my interview this evening.
lovemykidstoo 02:43 PM 09-24-2012
Glad it turned out well. We're all human and screw up sometimes. As long as they dont' do it again Good luck on your interview.
Chipmunk 03:00 PM 09-24-2012
You said they're really young and this is their first day care situation - that's a chance for you to mold them into GREAT DCP!

Glad everything was OK, I'd be worried they had an accident or something. And I don't think your email was anything other than firmly stated policy.

Good luck with the interview!
Nickel 03:05 PM 09-24-2012
Very true!!! After talking with dcm I don't think they were trying to be disrespectful, so I am willing to let it go. I am also glad everything worked out!!!
Tags:first day, late arrivals, late drop offs
Reply Up