Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Potty Style Is Best? What Do You Do To Support Potty Learning?
CityGarden 02:33 PM 04-26-2017
Which style of toilet trainer seat works best?

Style #1 (kind that is built into the toilet seat)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPET9SQ...VOMXJCRX&psc=1

Style #2 (Baby Bjorn style that goes over the toilet seat)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PAN7Q...XZV45UKYM&th=1

Also what is your approach to potty training especially in group care? I have seen many policies about it being the parents' responsibility but what do providers who want to support it do? What is the pro/con to helping?

Lastly anyone have a potty training policy that is not a page or paragraph long? I am trying to keep my handbook as succinct as possible 1) because parents don't read when there is too much and 2) because my handbook is already so long and I have only been open 4 months I find with my parents getting straight to the point in writing is the easiest for them to respect and for me to enforce.
Ariana 02:43 PM 04-26-2017
My handbook says that potty training starts when child is ready around 2.5-3years old and that the parents start at home and I continue at daycare. I require them to be in a pullup each day and I support the potty training process by taking them to the bathroom when they ask to go. Kids who are not ready just use their pullups as diapers. Kids who are ready keep their pullups dry all day.

The only potty I use is the small toilet seat that goes on a regular toilet. I have a stool in front so the kids can get themselves onto the toilet.
Blackcat31 02:50 PM 04-26-2017
I use a toilet seat that has a flip down smaller seat for the kids. I use that only when the child is newly trained.

After that, it's just the regular toilet.

Too many parents train using "special seats" or "potty chairs" and then wonder why their kid can't go to the bathroom when out and about.

Target, Wal-mart etc.. only have regular toilets so the quicker a child becomes accustomed to using a regular toilet the better.

I have a girlfriend that lugged around a toddler snap on seat for years!!
hwichlaz 03:06 PM 04-26-2017
I use the toilet. I'll hold them up if they need me to, but nothing extra to sanitize. I had a double toilet seat, but it broke and I need to order another. I really liked that. Everyone sits except the one kid that it just wont' work with. For the other boys I tell them that they can stand up to pee when I install a urinal (never, lol), but until then the toilet has a seat, so sit ur booty down.

The one kid it doesn't work with...doesn't have much of a tinky and just pees straight out. There isn't really anything there for him to point down.
Laurie 03:43 PM 04-26-2017
I use the toilet. If the child has trouble sitting on the seat. I will turn them around to face the back of the toilet.

Here in CA we are not aloud to have a potty chair or use any type of plastic seats. They say it's not sanitary because plastic doesn't clean good enough to become sanitary.

I'm actually fine with that! As BC stated, kids need to learn how to use a real potty at home and when out and about.

I laugh when I see parents running to their car to get the child's potty. Then set it up either in the car or the parking lot!
hwichlaz 03:46 PM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by Laurie:
I use the toilet. If the child has trouble sitting on the seat. I will turn them around to face the back of the toilet.

Here in CA we are not aloud to have a potty chair or use any type of plastic seats. They say it's not sanitary because plastic doesn't clean good enough to become sanitary.

I'm actually fine with that! As BC stated, kids need to learn how to use a real potty at home and when out and about.

I laugh when I see parents running to their car to get the child's potty. Then set it up either in the car or the parking lot!
I'm in CA and haven't heard that. My regular toilet seat is plastic, lol. I was told that we couldn't use padded seats though, because you can't sanitize them. That goes for the grown up toilet seat as well.
Laurie 03:51 PM 04-26-2017
I was told that many years ago from licensing. Maybe they've changed their minds, yet again.

I've never questioned it since I don't agree with using anything other than the toilet.
hwichlaz 03:53 PM 04-26-2017
I was told that many years ago from licensing. Maybe they've changed their minds, yet again.

I've never questioned it since I don't agree with using anything other than the toilet.
Right now everyone has a big enough tushy for it to work. But I had one little one that would have entirely fallen through the hole, lol. That's when I bought this....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1srQS6K7UL.jpg

She's 4 years old now and perches on the edge, but still a teensy little thing that could easily fall in if she's not careful.
sharlan 08:44 PM 04-26-2017

I don't believe I've heard this before. Where is it stated in the regs?
Meeko 06:17 AM 04-27-2017
We only use the regular toilet.

We are allowed to use potty chairs and seats etc. but each child must have their own and it must washed, sanitized, dried and stored separately after use. As it's not unusual to have 4+ kids training at the same time, it would become a huge storage issue.
So until the child is ready for the toilet....we don't train.
Jupadia 06:47 AM 04-27-2017
I use the built in one. It's nice since the kids can use it while they are small and learning but it's part of the toilet so there is nothing to remove or empty. Just one extra part of the lid to wash off when I clean the bathroom. I also have one upstairs for my own kids. I refuse to use any type of potty chair I think they are gross.
childcaremom 08:09 AM 04-27-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My handbook says that potty training starts when child is ready around 2.5-3years old and that the parents start at home and I continue at daycare. I require them to be in a pullup each day and I support the potty training process by taking them to the bathroom when they ask to go. Kids who are not ready just use their pullups as diapers. Kids who are ready keep their pullups dry all day.

The only potty I use is the small toilet seat that goes on a regular toilet. I have a stool in front so the kids can get themselves onto the toilet.

This is me, too.
Ariana 09:20 AM 04-27-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Right now everyone has a big enough tushy for it to work. But I had one little one that would have entirely fallen through the hole, lol. That's when I bought this...

She's 4 years old now and perches on the edge, but still a teensy little thing that could easily fall in if she's not careful.
This is why I use a seat too! Once they get the hang of it they stop using it. It is just to support learning in the first few weeks. I sanitize with a Lysol wipe, easy peasy!
LysesKids 10:20 AM 04-27-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Right now everyone has a big enough tushy for it to work. But I had one little one that would have entirely fallen through the hole, lol. That's when I bought this....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1srQS6K7UL.jpg

I have that one too... it's rare that a child potty trains here, but every now and again I get one that can train before the age out (21 months)... my youngest dd trained by 18 months so it's not unheard of.
Laurie 10:39 AM 04-27-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't believe I've heard this before. Where is it stated in the regs?
I've never seen it in the Reg's. I was told this by my licensing manager many years ago. I also was told this through a workshop I took through "Childrens Home Society" a while back.

They both said potty seats and plastic seats were unsanitary and don't clean like a toilet seat. like I said before, they may not be saying this anymore. I've been doing this for 24yrs. stuff like this changes all the time. If you're concerned, check with your Rep and see what they're saying about it.
laundrymom 10:57 AM 04-27-2017
What is your seat made of if not plastic?
I've never seen it in the Reg's. I was told this by my licensing manager many years ago. I also was told this through a workshop I took through "Childrens Home Society" a while back.

They both said potty seats and plastic seats were unsanitary and don't clean like a toilet seat. like I said before, they may not be saying this anymore. I've been doing this for 24yrs. stuff like this changes all the time. If you're concerned, check with your Rep and see what they're saying about it.

Laurie 11:11 AM 04-27-2017
My seats are made of wood, painted white! It's just a standard toilet seat. I see your point about plastic, because many stores carry plastic toilet seats.

All I can say about the plastic seat, would be to ask your Rep on your next visit or give her a call. I'm only repeating what I was told many years ago.
CityGarden 12:03 PM 04-27-2017
Thanks so much ladies it is nice to see others don't do those little potty seats that require so much clean up. Also I am in California and I'm a new provider so this is helpful.

I think I will get a wooden seat with built in insert to be on the safe side and if for some reason I need something different then I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
racemom 01:32 PM 04-27-2017
All our kids use the toilet. No extra seat, built in or not. There is a step stool in the bathroom that they can use to climb up on the toilet, but then they balance themselves.
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 04-28-2017
Is there a toilet seat, with the smaller seat attached, that anyone could recommend? I was searching amazon and usually listen to the reviews when I get something. I'd rather go with your recommendations.
These are my policies on PTing, short and sweet:

Potty Training
To make potty training a more successful venture when your child moves through this stage, please send him/her in loose-fitting pants that s/he can maneuver easily; no snap-crotch shirts or overalls please. After several days of success at home, I am willing to try pull-ups for several days here, before we move on to regular underwear. Always send extra clothes during this learning time. IF your child is showing signs of readiness, this process shouldn't take too long. Signs of readiness include, but are not limited to, verbally making it known s/he needs to go, able to pull pants up and down, goes for periods of time without wet diapers, and cooperatively will try the training process. I have found cooperation being one of the trickiest parts to toilet-training. They're usually at that independent stage anyways; another one of those things you simply cannot force them to do on your terms. They'll do it when they are good and ready. It will work much better if you and I remain consistent with each other. We can make this a fun learning process and not a scary, discouraging time in your child's life.
Tags:toilet training
Reply Up