Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Adding Days
Unregistered 06:20 AM 03-26-2015
Dcm works 4 days on and 4 days off, so my schedule is already set for the year and depending on the week, I have dcb 1-4 days each week. Because she has her schedule for the year, I know which days he will be here, but last month she randomly added two more days. I didn't say anything, because I was already working and it wasn't really a big deal, but now she did it again this week. I feel like I should say something, because she is not asking to add these days, but more like just assuming I will do them, and I am not sure she realizes that her fee covers the days we have originally scheduled, not extra days she decides to add later on. I was think at pick up, I might say something like, "My schedule the next few months is very tight, so I won't be able to help out on days you pick up extra work. Just want to give you a heads up, so you can find other care if you need for extra days."

I feel like that is a nice way of saying I won't work extra, but not causing waves or going into money issue of it. What do you think? Any tips? Thanks!
Unregistered 06:22 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Dcm works 4 days on and 4 days off, so my schedule is already set for the year and depending on the week, I have dcb 1-4 days each week. Because she has her schedule for the year, I know which days he will be here, but last month she randomly added two more days. I didn't say anything, because I was already working and it wasn't really a big deal, but now she did it again this week. I feel like I should say something, because she is not asking to add these days, but more like just assuming I will do them, and I am not sure she realizes that her fee covers the days we have originally scheduled, not extra days she decides to add later on. I was think at pick up, I might say something like, "My schedule the next few months is very tight, so I won't be able to help out on days you pick up extra work. Just want to give you a heads up, so you can find other care if you need for extra days."

I feel like that is a nice way of saying I won't work extra, but not causing waves or going into money issue of it. What do you think? Any tips? Thanks!
Just to add, she pays a flat fee for the week, whether he comes 1 day or four days, so I get the feeling she is trying to use up more time on the weeks that he is only here a day or two. The extra days and drop ins seem to be on those weeks.
DaisyMamma 07:00 AM 03-26-2015
She needs to pay you for the extra days, period. You don't work for free.
there's still time to fix not saying anything. When she picks up just say, I realize your schedule has been changing so are you going to take off some days at the end of the month, or are you going to pay for the extra days you're using? You can always add in that after the first of April you can't do any additional days, the schedule is too tight. - If you don't want him coming.
but definitely do not work for free. She will take advantage if you let her and it will cause you to resent her.
KSDC 07:15 AM 03-26-2015
Just to add, she pays a flat fee for the week, whether he comes 1 day or four days, so I get the feeling she is trying to use up more time on the weeks that he is only here a day or two. The extra days and drop ins seem to be on those weeks.
So, she is paying you for 4 days a week? Are you giving her any type of discount over what you would charge a child who comes 4 days a week every week?

I have a mom who only uses 3-4 days a week, and it changes week to week. She pays for a full time slot. And she is free to use any and all of the days during the week.

If you are giving a discount based on not using all the days, then she needs to pay more. But, if she is paying for all the days, then I think she should be allowed to use them. I would require her to give me her schedule in advance and reserve the right to give away her spot on days that she didn't schedule.
hope 07:42 AM 03-26-2015
If her days are discounted than just tell her that any additional days will cost extra. If you say your schedule is tight she will question that.
Example: i give a discount for teachers children but they must pay and keep their children home any time school is closed for delayed openings, vacation days, holidays, breaks, half days. I can easily see the school calender online. If they ask me to send their children during spring break than they have paid for the week already plus they would pay me again for the day. I dont feel bad about it because they get a discount all year long.
Unregistered 08:16 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by KSDC:
So, she is paying you for 4 days a week? Are you giving her any type of discount over what you would charge a child who comes 4 days a week every week?

I have a mom who only uses 3-4 days a week, and it changes week to week. She pays for a full time slot. And she is free to use any and all of the days during the week.

If you are giving a discount based on not using all the days, then she needs to pay more. But, if she is paying for all the days, then I think she should be allowed to use them. I would require her to give me her schedule in advance and reserve the right to give away her spot on days that she didn't schedule.
She pays the same each week, but it is not for four days. It is for the monthly schedule, which is 10-12 days per month of care. When he is here, it is from 5:15-6:15pm, so it is a 13 hour day. The reason I agreed to this in the first place is because there would be some weeks where I would care for him 4 days a week/13 hours a day, but then there are also suppose to be weeks where I only have 1-2 days. Those are the weeks she seems to be adding days, which drives down my hourly rate, so I am working more hours for no extra money. I would understand if we had agreed to four days a week EVERY week, but that was not what I signed up for. Waking up at 5 am 10-12 days a month is enough for me, so I don't want any more days, but if I am going to work them, I think she should pay for it. I just hate having those convos.
Unregistered 08:21 AM 03-26-2015
She just texted and said she picked up April 2nd. She didn't ask me, just told me she picked it up. That may be the most annoying part. I just spent the last two weeks on the 4 day schedule, so I was looking forward to these next two lighter weeks, and now she has added 2 extra days. I am going to tell her no, but I guess I just want to make sure I don't cause waves Thank you for all the advice!
finsup 09:01 AM 03-26-2015
I hate being "told" anything. Ask me and 99% of the time j will say yes, but tell me? No...not gonna happen. 13 hour days are long, she should def pay more if she's adding more on! I've been throwing in the phrase "I'm sure you understand" at the end of every difficult conversation which has seemed to help. Or at least keep the arguing to a minimum lol.
Second Home 09:22 AM 03-26-2015
It is for the monthly schedule, which is 10-12 days per month of care.

Then anything more than this and she needs to pay for extra days .
Unregistered 09:26 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
I hate being "told" anything. Ask me and 99% of the time j will say yes, but tell me? No...not gonna happen. 13 hour days are long, she should def pay more if she's adding more on! I've been throwing in the phrase "I'm sure you understand" at the end of every difficult conversation which has seemed to help. Or at least keep the arguing to a minimum lol.
I am totally the same way! I am overly nice in so many ways, but as soon as someone expects me to do something without actually asking me, I hit the brakes! It grinds my gears
KSDC 12:05 PM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
It is for the monthly schedule, which is 10-12 days per month of care.

Then anything more than this and she needs to pay for extra days .
This.

She is paying you for x number of days. If she wants any extra days, then she must pay for them.

I would also tell her that she must ask for extra days at least one week in advance. And, that you can't guarantee to have the spot available.
You might fill that spot for the day with a drop in client. Or make plans to do something with the smaller number of children on the days her child isn't scheduled.
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 03-26-2015
I am totally the same way! I am overly nice in so many ways, but as soon as someone expects me to do something without actually asking me, I hit the brakes! It grinds my gears
When you say yes to others, you are usually saying no to yourself.

That phrase helps me remember that MY needs are MY priority and a family's needs are THEIR priority.
Reply Up