Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets and Home Daycare
Miss A 07:43 PM 08-31-2015
I have a number of outdoor farm cats that love my daycare families, but my daycare families make me so nervous with them!/one family in particular, they are so rough and tumble, and their mom can not control them. The boys are only here during pick up of their little sister, and they grab my pets by the neck, hold then by their stomach and shake them, and are just rough. On Friday it took mom over 15 minutes to get them into the car after picking up DCD. Ugh. I am now in the position where, due to family discord, I am needing to take my childhood dog into my home. She has Lymes Disease, and while she is the friendliest dog, I am worried about her with these types of children. She is already in pain, I do not want to cause more. If only these children weren't so violent, to everything! And to top it off. Their parents encourage wrestling, and have them enrolled in it in school. Any tips for me? I am desperate!
NoMoreJuice! 07:56 PM 08-31-2015
First of all, welcome to the forum! And you've come to the right place.

I am so furious on behalf of your animals right now! Do you catch the boys in the acts that you mentioned? What do you say? I have three cats, two dogs, and two classroom pet guinea pigs in my home, and I'm rather protective of them. I teach all my kids to be gentle and respect ALL lives, even if it's just a bug in the backyard. If I ever caught a child (old enough to know better) abusing an animal on purpose, I would be right on top of them making them fear for their life. They have absolutely no right to treat defenseless creatures like that, and I wouldn't care if their mom was standing around watching, I would give them the biggest tongue lashing they've ever had.

However, if you would like to handle it a bit more diplomatically, you will probably have to confront the mom. Let her know that you expect all children on your property to be well mannered and to treat your animals with kindness. If she won't control her children, you have every right to ask her to keep the boys in the car at pick up. If she can't do that, you have every right to say they are not allowed on your property.

You are in total control of the situation and, once you realize that, this problem (and most problems) will be all sorted out. Good luck to you and your animals!
Miss A 08:13 PM 08-31-2015
I see it happen every night, and I call them out on it each time. I am at the point that if it happens again tomorrow night, I will be telling the boys that they will not be allowed to get out of the car when picking up little sister, or anywhere near my pets. It just scares me to think about bringing my adult dog into the situation.
NoMoreJuice! 08:22 PM 08-31-2015
That would break my heart if I witnessed one of my animals being hurt. Any way to separate your poor dog from the kids during drop offs/pick ups? I would still insist the boys not get out of the car, and I would tell mom exactly why. Sounds like they'll probably rip her car apart if left alone.
DaveA 04:34 AM 09-01-2015
I would tell DCM to not let the boys out of the car or make them sit somewhere while she picks up DCK and why. I see no reason to let one of your pets get hurt because they can't be calm with them.
permanentvacation 05:07 AM 09-01-2015
I would have told the mother the first time that I saw the kids being mean to my pets that the children are required to stay inside her car while she picked up the child you watch. If they got out of the car, the child you watch would be terminated immediately. If I didn't believe that they would stay in the car when told and that I still had to watch out for my pets even though they were told to stay in the car, I wouldn't bother with a warning. I would just terminate the child immediately.

You might want to add something to your contract about how you expect the children in your care and anyone associated to them that come on your property to behave.

I have this stated in my contract; 'I expect the parents, daycare children, and anyone who comes to my home to treat everyone, all pets, and my home and yard with respect. Anyone associated with your child who does not do so may result with your child being terminated immediately'.

My family's (which includes my pets) safety comes first! I will NOT allow anyone to come on my property who puts anyone's safety in danger. I also will not allow anyone on my property who purposely damages my property.

I have kicked a couple of kids out because either the child, parent, or family member was mean towards my pets. I have also refused to take on a couple of new kids because the child or family member was mean towards my pets during our interview.
BabyMonkeys 06:24 AM 09-01-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Sounds like they'll probably rip her car apart if left alone.
That falls soundly under the category of "not my problem"

As far as your older dog, can you keep her behind a baby gate or safe in a bedroom? My dog was injured several months ago, and even though the babies loved her, it wasn't safe for them to get near her. She wasn't happy about being locked away, but it was for the best. I made sure to give her a nice pillow and blanket, and a rawhide (which she loves) and she learned to deal.
Miss A 07:35 AM 09-01-2015
Thank you everyone for the advice. I talked to the mom this morning, and shared with her that her children are not allowed to pick up the animals, and we will see how that goes tonight. I don't want to resort to keeping my pets in the barn during the day, as this is their home, but I may have to.

Also, thank you for the suggestion for my older dog. I had thought I would keep her outside in the spring and fall, but I didn't want her outside in the winter or summer. I will definitely try keeping her in her own space. I know she won't like it at first, but it is better for her. She may even come to like her alone time!
Unregistered 08:31 AM 09-01-2015
I am very firm about my animals. You can pet them, if they want it, nicely and THAT'S
Reply Up