Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracted Hours - Backbone Included
momofboys 05:57 AM 04-04-2012
So I decided to re-instate contracted hours. I had done them before & then strayed away from them, basically letting parents choose as they saw fit (within reason of course) when to drop off children/pick them up. I was ok with everyone's hours so I did not make any fuss b/c for the most part there were no late pick-ups. Only problem was my #1 family - dad had taken a new job with his current company about 6 weeks or so ago. They let me know he would pick up 1/2 hr later but would still for the most part need to drop off at the same time as when he went to work 1/2 hr sooner (he used to work 7 - 4). I thought it was odd but figured maybe he was working 9 1/2 hr days (strange but possible I reasoned).

So the other day I was talking with DCM & asked how DCD enjoyed his new job & did he hate putting in extra time each week. She said oh - he works 7:30 to 4:30 so no extra time. I then asked her why he needed to drop off at 6:20/6:25 am each day when he didn't start work until 7:30 (I know from personal experience it only takes about 30 min to get to his work, I'm very familiar with the area)? She responded that he just likes to get to work early. So I printed out my monthly newsletter stating I was returning to contracted hours & their new hours were not to begin until 6:45 am. I am guessing dad runs to get coffee or goes to McD's before work which is why he needs 70 min to get to work but I am not putting up with it. I have not heard from the family but they don't come to care this week until Fri because of Spring Break. Would the rest of you have done the same thing or am I assuming too much power by only allowing him 45 min to get to work? I am worried they will be mad but not that worried if that makes sense.
bunnyslippers 06:12 AM 04-04-2012
I would have been annoyed and frustrated, too. I only do contracted hours, for just that reason. And I would NEVER let a family drop off that early so they could get to work earlier.

I say good for you!!!!
countrymom 06:13 AM 04-04-2012
yup, I went to contract hours because of this. I too had a dad who would do everything to avoid being with his kids. Drop off early, pick up late (even forgetting to pick up) they didn't care about paying the extra fees. It wasn't about the money, it was how sad the dcb would be because he was the first one here, and last one to leave. No child should have to spend 10 hours in my care, when they should be at home with his family. Also, I find that I know when children are being picked up, and I can plan accordingly.
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 04-04-2012
I would have allowed the extra time but done so with an added fee. For example, I would have billed them $*** dollars for their contracted work times and added an additional fee for the extra time he takes. The additional fee for the extra time though would be double the regular rate.

Dad needs to see/feel this "extra" time he is taking in his wallet. If he really wants to get to work that much earlier, then he needs to pay for that conveneience. I belong to Sam's Club and they have regular shopping hours for regular paying members, but I am a Plus member who gets "special shopping" hours but I also pay a lot more fo rhtat priviledge so I would do that families billing the same way.

I personally don't like to limit the hours and time a family uses (within my available hours) BUT I do charge ALOT higher fees for hours they do choose to use that are above and beyond their working hours. That way, it is their choice to control their costs and up to them to figure out if it is worth it or not.

Either way I win, because I get shorter days with a child (Who then gets more face time with their parent) or I get paid "overtime" if they want more....kwim?
momofboys 06:26 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would have allowed the extra time but done so with an added fee. For example, I would have billed them $*** dollars for their contracted work times and added an additional fee for the extra time he takes. The additional fee for the extra time though would be double the regular rate.

Dad needs to see/feel this "extra" time he is taking in his wallet. If he really wants to get to work that much earlier, then he needs to pay for that conveneience. I belong to Sam's Club and they have regular shopping hours for regular paying members, but I am a Plus member who gets "special shopping" hours but I also pay a lot more fo rhtat priviledge so I would do that families billing the same way.

I personally don't like to limit the hours and time a family uses (within my available hours) BUT I do charge ALOT higher fees for hours they do choose to use that are above and beyond their working hours. That way, it is their choice to control their costs and up to them to figure out if it is worth it or not.

Either way I win, because I get shorter days with a child (Who then gets more face time with their parent) or I get paid "overtime" if they want more....kwim?
I see what you mean but I personally don't want to get up earlier or have kids in my home at 6:20 am while dad takes his time so he can get to work early or whatever he does. I would not want the extra $$$ - I'd rather snooze for 15 extra minutes. The kids are here over 10 hrs a day - I'd rather not do extra.
countrymom 06:36 AM 04-04-2012
see thats what happened to me, they didn't care about paying extra, it just ment that they didn't have to deal with their kid. but it was acually cutting into my time. That extra time gives me extra sleep, or more time to spend with my own family not with someone elses kid because they want to go to work early and avoid thiers.
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I see what you mean but I personally don't want to get up earlier or have kids in my home at 6:20 am while dad takes his time so he can get to work early or whatever he does. I would not want the extra $$$ - I'd rather snooze for 15 extra minutes. The kids are here over 10 hrs a day - I'd rather not do extra.
TOTALLY see where you are coming from! I am only available from 7:00-5:30 so unless the extra time someone wants is within those hours, I would NOT do it!

My one family that gets here right on the dot at 7:00 and stays until 5:30 only works 9:30-4:00 so she is billed a daily rate for that time and then billed a large hourly fee for anything she uses outside her work hours. I figured the extra cost would defer the family from leaving their child for so long but it doesn't so whatever .....I just make sure I am paid what I feel is worth the "extra" time I work.

I suppose I COULD simply tell them no and that I won't be part of them ditching their child but honestly, even if I tell them that, there is no guarantee that just because I decline to care for him longer doesn't mean that they won't just drop him somewhere else or park him in front of a TV....so at least he is being well cared for while his parents choose to do whatever else.
frugalmama4 08:26 AM 04-04-2012
Oh good thread I'm in da same boat!

I have a family (both parents) that seems to not wanna spend anytime with their kids. I could kick myself...just handed out a policy change notice and DID NOT reinforce the "contracted hours". And when I tell you this week the kids have bee dropped off way earlier than normal and here til close. But here's the kicker I looked over their contract and there it is in black and white (7:30-6:30) S**T, how did I not catch this before hand...in my hand book it states CARE NOT TO EXCEED 10HOUR PER-DAY PER-CHILD. And their contract states drop off-7:30 pick-up6:30. Oh how I could go on and on about this one family...but gotta get to work .

Blackcat, I totally agree with you if they will leave the kid(s) longer then I'm getting paid for it.
JJPlaycare 08:30 AM 04-04-2012
So what do you mean by contracted hours? LOL I think I have them..... However one of my families isn't obeying them, but it isn't a matter of picking up late it is a matter of not showing up on time. It is all over the clock. They are contracted to be here at 7am, but show up whenever they please sometimes 40 mins- an hour later than their scheduled time. My husband doesn't get why I care, I am getting paid and the kids aren't here, but I do care for alot of reasons. Yes I have told the parents all of these reasons SEVERAL times, but they seem to not care and I really don't think they care because there isn't a consequence. Am I overreacting? How do you guys handle this with the whole contracted hours?
momma2girls 01:01 PM 04-04-2012
I have contracted hrs. as well-
I receive emails and phone calls all the time, asking me what are your hours?
I tell them, what hrs. are you needing?
I am open from 7:30-4:30 only. I don't tell them that at first, but when they say they need til 5:00 or earlier than 7:30am. Then I tell them my hrs. and alot of times, magically it will just work with them!!
This is definately the way to go!!
momofboys 12:17 PM 04-06-2012
Well today was DCF1's first day back & BRAVO the parents arrived at the NEW contracted time. And not a word was said!! YAY, ME!
momma2girls 02:32 PM 04-06-2012
It is so much easier on you as the daycare provider. There are so many parents that would keep their kids in their daycare 12 hrs. each day if they could. IT's very , very sad!!! I have a teacher and she would come at 5:00 or 5:30 if she could to pick up her children!!
Crazy8 03:15 PM 04-07-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
It is so much easier on you as the daycare provider. There are so many parents that would keep their kids in their daycare 12 hrs. each day if they could. IT's very , very sad!!! I have a teacher and she would come at 5:00 or 5:30 if she could to pick up her children!!
Totally agree with this!! It is sad. I had a parent who was just off for spring break and couldn't squeeze in ONE DAY for her child to stay home with her. Sad, sad, sad.

But for OP... I also run on contracted hours but I do not feel it is up to me to decide how much time a parent is "allotted" to get to work. I know you say its not about the money, but when the parent got a new job and said they'd be picking up later I would have attached a fee to it or given the option to keep the same rate if the start time was later.
For new clients they tell me the hours they need, if I can accommodate that within my open-close hours I give them a rate based on those hours. I do not tell them my earliest time/latest close unless they need something beyond that because EVERYONE would contract for open-close even if they didn't need it (and not even saying they would use it, just that it is what they would put down as contracted hours).
Tags:contracted hours vs open hours, hours, parents
Reply Up