Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safety: Helmets for Daycare Kids...
Abigail 04:15 PM 07-04-2011
Do you require kids who are on trikes and bikes wear a helmet? Does each child have their own helmet? I am wondering if I should require all kids age 2 and up to have a helmet kept at daycare. I could either supply these myself and add it to the annual or sign up fee or have parents supply it. What are your thoughts? Would you go as far as elbow and knee pads as well? I do plan to have a wonderful outdoor area for the kids and want to keep safety in good practice.

I've done some research and really think having helmets for every child--each child have their own, no sharing--starts good safety habits.

Facts: Children under one shouldn't be riding on an adult bike or pull behind carrier, thus those under age one should never wear a helmet as they do not have the muscles in the neck developed enough.
SilverSabre25 08:21 PM 07-04-2011
I don't worry about helmets for trikes or our scooter, but I do insist that anyone on a two-wheeled bike or roller skates wear a helmet. I do not want to worry about helmets for daycare kids. Thus, my DD's roller skates and bike remain off-limits during daycare hours (even to her; she understands this and accepts it as "daycare rules"). We have two trikes and two cozy coupes and a roller coaster (BEST THING EVER!!! Seriously; get one). I am only watching children who are under school age; thus, the wheeled things should fit everyone until they have aged out of my care.
countrymom 03:44 AM 07-05-2011
I have the roller coaster too, its awesome.
heyhun77 04:36 AM 07-05-2011
I have helmets for each daycare child that are labeled and stored in a large basket. I don't require that they use them for the smaller riding toys but they do have to wear them when using the larger trike, the 2 wheeled bikes, the scooters and the rollerskates. The items that require a helmet are stored in the garage and the kids have to ask to bring them out so I can make sure they have a helmet on (and so I can make sure they can be outside the fence since I only allow 2 out of the fence at a time and only the 4's and older can be out there - fyi it's a chain link fence so I can see them riding inside their boundaries while I can also see the other kids playing in the backyard).
Meyou 04:50 AM 07-05-2011
I have helmets for all the kids for when they ride the trikes, scooters, rollerblades or two wheelers. I use hockey helmets for most of the little ones. They go on easily, cover the whole head and require little adjusting. My smaller plastic ride ons are in the backyard so they have soft ground and no way to build any speed back there so we don't do helmets for those ones.
JenNJ 07:48 AM 07-05-2011
I have parents sign that if they want kids to have a helmet, they need to provide it or no ride ons.
sharlan 08:10 AM 07-05-2011
I keep a bin full of helmets for the kids to share. Two wheeled bikes (training wheels or not) and skates require helmets.

I check the helmets frequently to insure they are in good shape.
Abigail 08:05 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
I have helmets for each daycare child that are labeled and stored in a large basket. I don't require that they use them for the smaller riding toys but they do have to wear them when using the larger trike, the 2 wheeled bikes, the scooters and the rollerskates. The items that require a helmet are stored in the garage and the kids have to ask to bring them out so I can make sure they have a helmet on (and so I can make sure they can be outside the fence since I only allow 2 out of the fence at a time and only the 4's and older can be out there - fyi it's a chain link fence so I can see them riding inside their boundaries while I can also see the other kids playing in the backyard).
Do you buy the helmets or have the parents provide them? How do you label them, with a marker or label maker? Also, how long do they last before they outgrow them?
heyhun77 04:51 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Do you buy the helmets or have the parents provide them? How do you label them, with a marker or label maker? Also, how long do they last before they outgrow them?
I buy them and maintain them. I use tape on the outside of each to write their name on them. Since most can recognize their names I haven't gone as far as to put their pictures on them but it'll probably be something that I need to do in the future depending on the kids in care.

This is our first summer with helmets because we didn't have the bikes and scooters and such until this year.

Since helmets are pretty easily sanitized so I just spray them each week. That way when they need a different size I can just take their name off and put it on a bigger one. From personal experience with my own boys they will need a new one about every year or two.
Abigail 08:31 PM 07-16-2011
Where is the best place to buy helmets? How much should I spend on each helmet?
heyhun77 06:46 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Where is the best place to buy helmets? How much should I spend on each helmet?
I've been finding them on clearance at walmart and target since spring. I DO NOT buy them second hand because you never know if they have been in an accident. The Safety store here in Fargo has them and the proceeds go to the FM Safekids Coalition to provide safety education in the area.
Tags:bike safety, helmets, outdoor play, outside toys, toys, trike
Reply Up