Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update on Food Program
morgan24 05:34 AM 02-18-2014
My FP rep said that dcg does not have to be enrolled in the FP, but you are not allowed to charged them more even if I still supply the food. She wasn't sure of the reason and is going to find out and let me know later. Not sure how I'm going to handle it now.
craftymissbeth 05:39 AM 02-18-2014
Personally I'd have dcm supply all of dck's meals and drinks and it would have to be up to my standards of what a healthy meal includes.
melilley 06:10 AM 02-18-2014
You could always charge more, but for a different reason. Just say that you raised tuition or something. Would that work?
NoMoreJuice! 06:14 AM 02-18-2014
How does the food program have any say on how you conduct business with a client? If you added an additional $10 a week for "supplies" in your contract with that family, why would USDA have any right to tell you not to?
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Personally I'd have dcm supply all of dck's meals and drinks and it would have to be up to my standards of what a healthy meal includes.
I agree that this would be the ideal solution however, I had a bad experience with allowing this.

DCM would often forget food, either completely or portions of it leaving me to have to make up the difference or feed the child a sub-standard meal/snack for the day.

I also had a DCM (different family) bring foods for her DD that I found out later she was putting things in. Tylenol, supplements (NOT approved by her Dr) etc...it just got to be really hard to do.

I think in OP's situation, she really needs to have a discussion with the mom. If she is choosing a provider who participates in the food program, she needs to really think if it is the right thing for her or not.

As the provider, I would simply tell her that any diet changes MUST be outlined AND approved by a doctor. Even if the diet is just a choice and not a medical situation.

I would require a special diet statement from the doctor, let the parent decide what she wants to do about the whole thing and let it be.

DCM's choice = DCM's issue to manage.

Either that or provider must supply the food and suck up the cost of providing a "special menu".
melilley 06:21 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
How does the food program have any say on how you conduct business with a client? If you added an additional $10 a week for "supplies" in your contract with that family, why would USDA have any right to tell you not to?
As long as you don't say it's for food, they can't really say anything.
craftymissbeth 06:40 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree that this would be the ideal solution however, I had a bad experience with allowing this.

DCM would often forget food, either completely or portions of it leaving me to have to make up the difference or feed the child a sub-standard meal/snack for the day.

I also had a DCM (different family) bring foods for her DD that I found out later she was putting things in. Tylenol, supplements (NOT approved by her Dr) etc...it just got to be really hard to do.

I think in OP's situation, she really needs to have a discussion with the mom. If she is choosing a provider who participates in the food program, she needs to really think if it is the right thing for her or not.

As the provider, I would simply tell her that any diet changes MUST be outlined AND approved by a doctor. Even if the diet is just a choice and not a medical situation.

I would require a special diet statement from the doctor, let the parent decide what she wants to do about the whole thing and let it be.

Either that or provider must supply the food and suck up the cost of providing a "special menu".
Yikes I didn't think about that.

My FP person didn't even ask to see contracts or anything... I wonder how they would even know if you did charge extra?
morgan24 06:43 AM 02-18-2014

Your right it's her issue to manage. Dcm knew when she signed up that I did the FP. I'll let her know that I'm not willing to lose the monthly FP money and let her decide if she wants to stay or not.
butterfly 08:38 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
As long as you don't say it's for food, they can't really say anything.

My food program rep even told me that I can raise rates anytime I want, I just can't state the reason is due to rising food costs - or anything to do with supplying food.
jenn 08:54 AM 02-18-2014
I have one arguing this right now. She doesn't want her child to have dairy or meats, due to their choice of diet, not because of any allergy or medical reason.
I have told her that I provide what our state guidelines require. If her child cannot eat what I am serving, I need a document in the child's file stating that he is on a modified diet that is signed by her and a doctor. It says something like, "My child, XXXXX, is following a modified diet that is not consistent with what is served at daycare. For this reason, I will provide all drinks, meals, and snacks. I take full responsibility for the preparation and safety of the foods and liquids provided. All foods and liquids will be labeled with my child's name and contents. I understand that I have to meet all of the food guidelines required by the state. I understand that I need to provide extra food for 2nds to be served if needed. Signed and dated by parent & dr"
We are required to have 2nds available, so I am having her bring enough for the whole week on Monday (10 snacks, 5 lunches, 10 drinks (one for am snack and lunch, we have water in the pm) and then an 2 extra snacks, 1 extra meal, and 2 extra drinks. This will be handled the same as diapers and extra clothing. If you do not have the supplies on hand, you don't stay.
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
I have one arguing this right now. She doesn't want her child to have dairy or meats, due to their choice of diet, not because of any allergy or medical reason.
I have told her that I provide what our state guidelines require. If her child cannot eat what I am serving, I need a document in the child's file stating that he is on a modified diet that is signed by her and a doctor. It says something like, "My child, XXXXX, is following a modified diet that is not consistent with what is served at daycare. For this reason, I will provide all drinks, meals, and snacks. I take full responsibility for the preparation and safety of the foods and liquids provided. All foods and liquids will be labeled with my child's name and contents. I understand that I have to meet all of the food guidelines required by the state. I understand that I need to provide extra food for 2nds to be served if needed. Signed and dated by parent & dr"
We are required to have 2nds available, so I am having her bring enough for the whole week on Monday (10 snacks, 5 lunches, 10 drinks (one for am snack and lunch, we have water in the pm) and then an 2 extra snacks, 1 extra meal, and 2 extra drinks. This will be handled the same as diapers and extra clothing. If you do not have the supplies on hand, you don't stay.
If this works for you, that is great!

My thoughts on this though is parents cannot sign away their right not to sue you for something.

Even if a parent did put something in the food or prepared it in an unsafe manner, it still falls on YOU because you served the food to the child on your watch.

I just couldn't agree to do that.
CraftyMom 10:13 AM 02-18-2014

My thoughts on this though is parents cannot sign away their right not to sue you for something.

Even if a parent did put something in the food or prepared it in an unsafe manner, it still falls on YOU because you served the food to the child on your watch.

My thoughts too
jenn 04:40 PM 02-18-2014

I am worried about this! I trust this family, but you just never know. I have had this child since August, but he just turned 1 and they are starting solids and starting to transition away from formula.

Mom is not happy about having to sign a note and is mixed about wanting to provide the food. I am not willing to change the diet of everyone else here to meet this family's dietary preferences. I have never dealt with this before. I have had kids with allergies, and I do modify everyone's diet for that. The note I had signed was what my licensing person gave me when I called questioning how to handle this. I'm just not sure what to do. I hate to term over food, but I just don't know how to find a compromise that works for all of us.
Blackcat31 04:57 PM 02-18-2014
I am worried about this! I trust this family, but you just never know. I have had this child since August, but he just turned 1 and they are starting solids and starting to transition away from formula.

Mom is not happy about having to sign a note and is mixed about wanting to provide the food. I am not willing to change the diet of everyone else here to meet this family's dietary preferences. I have never dealt with this before. I have had kids with allergies, and I do modify everyone's diet for that. The note I had signed was what my licensing person gave me when I called questioning how to handle this. I'm just not sure what to do. I hate to term over food, but I just don't know how to find a compromise that works for all of us.
I know, it is hard. As providers it seems there are always those areas that really have no right or wrong answers and we just have to chose the one that causes the least amount of stress to us.

Either you term over food and risk the financial loss or you're flexible about allowing parents to provide their own foods and risk the chance of having a parent be dishonest or forgetful.

I wish I had better advice about it but I don't. I know which solution works best for me but that doesn't mean that's what is right for you too...kwim?

Maybe you could talk with your food program rep and she would know better how to handle it and let you know what all your options are.

This can't be the first situation like this for them, seems modified diets are pretty common now days.

Atleast that way, you know you researched all your avenues before making any drastic moves such as terming.
daycare 06:26 PM 02-18-2014
if you are not able to charge for the food, could you charge a "food handling fee" YOu will have to work extra for this family, you should be compensated for it.
jenn 05:54 AM 02-21-2014
I know, it is hard. As providers it seems there are always those areas that really have no right or wrong answers and we just have to chose the one that causes the least amount of stress to us.

Either you term over food and risk the financial loss or you're flexible about allowing parents to provide their own foods and risk the chance of having a parent be dishonest or forgetful.

I wish I had better advice about it but I don't. I know which solution works best for me but that doesn't mean that's what is right for you too...kwim?

Maybe you could talk with your food program rep and she would know better how to handle it and let you know what all your options are.

This can't be the first situation like this for them, seems modified diets are pretty common now days.

Atleast that way, you know you researched all your avenues before making any drastic moves such as terming.
What we agreed to is...Mom will provide formula/milk, 2 snacks per day and lunches. Everything she brings will be store bought and sealed when it arrives at my house. Any "leftovers" will be kept and my house and I will let her know when I am running low on something. This way I know that they did not alter the food in anyway and I will always have extras on hand if needed. She signed the formed my licensing person suggested. I feel comfortable with this and so does she. We'll see how it goes!
Maria2013 06:43 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
this is something I wonder too, if a child is not enrolled, how can they set rules?
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 02-21-2014
What we agreed to is...Mom will provide formula/milk, 2 snacks per day and lunches. Everything she brings will be store bought and sealed when it arrives at my house. Any "leftovers" will be kept and my house and I will let her know when I am running low on something. This way I know that they did not alter the food in anyway and I will always have extras on hand if needed. She signed the formed my licensing person suggested. I feel comfortable with this and so does she. We'll see how it goes!
That is great! I am glad you were able to reach a satisfactory agreement between the two of you....it is always best for the child when the parents and provider can work together!

Keep us posted as to how it goes. It definitely sounds like you have your bases covered!
Reply Up