Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I don't wear shoes, but now my feet hurt...
KatiesCorner 08:05 AM 10-27-2014
I started at my daycare mid August, and since I have three children under 18 months, I don't wear shoes. Pretty quickly the arch on my right foot began to hurt, and now the joint under in left big toe hurts too. Does any one else deal with this and have a solution? I thought of getting a brand new pair that never leaves my house, but I still worry about stepping on little hands or feet. Are there any brands of house shoes that offer more support? Any other ideas?
Thanks!
crazydaycarelady 08:08 AM 10-27-2014
I had this problem too but I like to be able to kick my shoes off if I sit on the floor, etc. I found that wearing flip-flops helps. Just that little bit of cushion seems to make it so my feet don't hurt.
hope 08:16 AM 10-27-2014
I use slippers that have a hard bottom. Kinda like clogs. I only wear them in the house.
EchoMom 08:39 AM 10-27-2014
My mom and I both have trouble with foot pain (plantar fasciitis and tendonitis). The real problem is in my experience, once you have the pain it's too late and takes months and months of babying your feet and not allowing reinjury to happen.

My mom wears fake crocs garden shoes in the house, clean new ones only. I wear clean new flip flops sometimes. We sometimes wear a double pair of socks. I also put mats or rug with cushioning in front of kitchen sink, fridge, and changing table.

Just try to give your feet as much support as much time as possible.
Second Home 09:07 AM 10-27-2014
I also have a pair of fake crocs that I use in the house only .
Hazel 09:27 AM 10-27-2014
I also worry about stepping on fingers and toes but I just can't go without shoes... I feel too lazy and don't want to do anything.. Plus my feet hurt like heck when I don't have sneakers on. I bought a good quality pair that are really light weight and only wear them inside. It's the only thing that stopped the pain. I have a high instep and wearing anything but my sneakers kills not only my feet but my knees and hips too...
the way my room is set up I have an area rug for the kids but exposed wood floor around it. I insist they play on the rug and only walk around on the wood... I crawl on the rug. I've worn out a lot of my jeans this way but it is what it is.. Lol
Oh, also? I don't lift my feet much when I walk... I am always stepping on toys and such so after a few years it became a habit to almost slide my feet, pushing toys out of my way while I walk..... Lol
Annalee 09:30 AM 10-27-2014
I wear tennis shoes!!! I have told the story how I broke my right picky toe twice...NOT paying bone and joint clinic any more money the last break required surgery with pins cause it was stuck out to the side and would NOT go back.
Crazy8 09:52 AM 10-27-2014
I wear my good (and rather expensive) sneakers all day everyday. Have never stepped on a hand/foot yet. I don't have foot problems but knee problems - need to wear good sneakers and even my knee brace every once in a while.
Baby Beluga 10:27 AM 10-27-2014
I have a pair of orthaheel (new name is vionic) flip flops that I only wear inside. They are a bit pricey, but give awesome arch support, cushion and are easy to kick on/off when needed they are also super easy to clean if something happens to spill on them.

http://www.vionicshoes.com/women/san...st-sandal.html
SignMeUp 10:32 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I wear tennis shoes!!! I have told the story how I broke my right picky toe twice...NOT paying bone and joint clinic any more money the last break required surgery with pins cause it was stuck out to the side and would NOT go back.
Ouch! Ew! Ouch! My brain hurts just thinking about it!

I wear New Balance athletic shoes, on the advice of my doctor's nurse who is on her feet all day. I used to buy them at Kohl's but my feet started hurting again. I went to a good shoe store, where they told me that what I was wearing were the least expensive version of New Balance and that I should move up. Moved up in cost too, but I watch for sales, and Schuler Shoes gives all kinds of little discounts too.
Kelly 02:02 PM 10-27-2014
I have had problems with tendonitis for several years and can't go barefoot at all. The only shoes I wear are Birkenstock clogs or sandals. I do wear them inside.
AuntTami 02:20 PM 10-27-2014
Wow....Everyone wears shoes! My BF makes fun of me for wearing socks all the time, even after daycare hours... I wonder what he'd say if I started wearing shoes all day long!? I should though. I always feel more productive when I have shoes on?

As a previous poster mentioned, you learn to shuffle your feet instead of actually "walking"...Or at least I always have. I find it very similar to the "penguin walk" that us Northerns adapt in the winter to walk on ice. You can't simply walk on the ice without falling, so you end up shuffling your feet and you kind of look like a penguin.... ?
cheerfuldom 05:59 PM 10-27-2014
I recommend chiro adjustments as well as good quality tennis shoes (New Balance is a good brand).
Hazel 06:01 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Wow....Everyone wears shoes! My BF makes fun of me for wearing socks all the time, even after daycare hours... I wonder what he'd say if I started wearing shoes all day long!? I should though. I always feel more productive when I have shoes on?

As a previous poster mentioned, you learn to shuffle your feet instead of actually "walking"...Or at least I always have. I find it very similar to the "penguin walk" that us Northerns adapt in the winter to walk on ice. You can't simply walk on the ice without falling, so you end up shuffling your feet and you kind of look like a penguin.... ?
That is so funny! I feel so lazy without shoes! Even slippers don't work!
And yes, it's JUST LIKE walking on ice! Lol
KatiesCorner 02:10 PM 10-28-2014
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll research them and figure out what would work best for me! I've never thought of crocs, but something similar would be great. I dislike having shoes on during the time I spend on the floor, but really want something when I'm in the kitchen. If I get crocs or something similar I can switch back and forth easily, and if they never leave the house they'll be clean.
And cheerfuldom, I love the chiropractor. I'm still between insurances but plan to make an appointment as soon as that's squared away!
Unregistered 03:29 AM 11-01-2014
I started wearing shoes because I seemed to step in every drip or drop of liquid or food that was on the floor. Some was even from me when doing dishes or cooking. It felt so gross! I wear slip on's or flats. Haven't hurt a baby or toddler yet.
deliberateliterate 06:43 AM 11-01-2014
My feet, and especially my heels have really been bothering me lately and I've been considering something with a little support. I live in an area that shoes are just not worn in doors, so the idea of running shoes never even occurred to me.
e.j. 09:36 AM 11-01-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I recommend chiro adjustments as well as good quality tennis shoes (New Balance is a good brand).
After a bout with plantar fasciitis, I started wearing New Balance shoes. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
Leigh 11:07 AM 11-01-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
After a bout with plantar fasciitis, I started wearing New Balance shoes. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
New Balance are often recommended-a word of advice though, buy them from a reputable shoe store-not a discount store. The higher the number on the shoe model, the better the shoe. The New Balance that you might buy at ShopKo or Kohl's will be nowhere near the quality of the ones you buy from a place known for selling good shoes (yes, that means expensive).

Here is a link to shoes that carry the acceptance of the podiatry association: http://www.apma.org/learn/CompanyProductsList.cfm I suggest finding something from their list.

I hate wearing shoes, too. I often wrap my feet in Coban to get through the day pain-free without shoes. When I do wear them, I usually opt for slip on sandals with a high arch (they feel best for me). For closed toe or open toe shoes, Sanita, Dansko, and Earth are awesome!
Childminder 11:46 AM 11-01-2014
After repeated bouts with plantar fasciitis and even buying expensive shoes especially for the problem that didn't work I tried crocs and haven't experienced an issue since.
earlystart 12:12 PM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have a pair of orthaheel (new name is vionic) flip flops that I only wear inside. They are a bit pricey, but give awesome arch support, cushion and are easy to kick on/off when needed they are also super easy to clean if something happens to spill on them.

http://www.vionicshoes.com/women/san...st-sandal.html
I have these exact shoes in gray and black. Expensive but worth it. I had the same problem, I didn't wear shoes and my arches started to hurt so bad and the pain would radiate to different parts of my feet. I started wearing these flip flops in the house only, and eventually the pain went away. Now I can go without them for long periods of time (I wear them out of the house too though), but if my feet start hurting again, I just wear them in the house for a day and it gets better.
Tags:feet hurt, foot pain, no shoes
Reply Up