Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Presents
Unregistered 04:35 AM 11-25-2014
I know there's lots if older threads on this but what is everyone doing this year for,
1) dcks Christmas presents
2) parents Christmas presents
3) Christmas party
Unregistered 04:37 AM 11-25-2014
Opening post here,

1) a crochet hat tailed to their interest, a small playdoh set, A Christmas book
2) picture frames the dcks painted and decorated themselves with a picture of then infront of the Christmas tree in it, snowman hand print ornaments and another ornament the child painted. (This is from the children, I don't do one from myself)
3) no idea yet!
EchoMom 05:12 AM 11-25-2014
I don't give Christmas presents. Some holidays and some years I have sent home small gift bags filled with little Oriental Trading company trinkets. But not this year. This year I'm closing the two holiday weeks with no pay to have a baby!

No party, our group is mostly too young for it, and everyday is a party for the older ones anyway.

The kids will do holiday crafts to take home in the weeks before closing, just like we always do fun themed crafts and activities.

BTW I'm 36 weeks pregnant, now wearing belly flaunting clothes, and given my mom a break to work behind the scenes while I now take my turn being the greeter and g oodbyer and STILL no parents have said a word to me! So odd!
NoMoreJuice! 05:14 AM 11-25-2014
1. A large hardcover Disney book with a nice note and date in the front cover
2. We've been making this for about a month now...it's a handprint calendar. So much fun! Still have August-December to do. Also making salt dough ornaments painted like Santa.
3. No Christmas party, but I'll make up a big cookie platter for each family. 25 parents and all the kids and siblings under one roof is just way too much for me!
Leigh 05:54 AM 11-25-2014
Under 2's are getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-S...=1416923536215

Over 2's are getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-My...=1416923575232

Everyone is also getting the book "Is Your Mama a Llama?".

Parents: I give ONE family a half price week during Christmas week. The others, I have the kids bake cookies for their parents.

I don't do a Christmas party.
Crazy8 06:19 AM 11-25-2014
1. Ordered vinyl name labels for all the kids (kind of a parent gift I guess) and will give a M&D wooden puzzle or similar.

2. Every year I give a gift certificate to be used for $ off a week of daycare anytime within the next 6 months - this way not every one uses it at the same time. Amounts have varied over the years and FT gets more than PT.
Also do some handprint crafts that we wrap as gifts for the parents from the children.

3. No big party, just little extra treats during the day on Dec 23rd.
AmyKidsCo 07:18 AM 11-25-2014
I've done the MakeIt plates for the past several years. I have the children color on the paper then I trace their hand and write their name and the year. It's cool to see how the children's writing/drawing/coloring development changes. I always have some sort of ornament for the child to make that has their photo in it.

I don't buy the children the same thing; I like going to the store and picking out individual gift for them. I've already ordered $1 Scholastic books also.

Our Christmas party is pretty low-key. We watch the Reindeer Cam, decorate cut-out cookies, listen to Christmas music and take a photo of everyone in their Christmas clothes. That's more than enough for my young crew!
LysesKids 09:59 AM 11-25-2014
1) dcks presents; I bought each a set of board books (babes under 18 months)
2) parents presents; A gift certificate for one free date night in 2015
3) Christmas party; Being held Sunday 12/14... snacks & drinks for everyone (parents, siblings etc... I do this yearly) - this is when I give the wrapped gifts too
melilley 10:15 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I've done the MakeIt plates for the past several years. I have the children color on the paper then I trace their hand and write their name and the year. It's cool to see how the children's writing/drawing/coloring development changes. I always have some sort of ornament for the child to make that has their photo in it.

I don't buy the children the same thing; I like going to the store and picking out individual gift for them. I've already ordered $1 Scholastic books also.

Our Christmas party is pretty low-key. We watch the Reindeer Cam, decorate cut-out cookies, listen to Christmas music and take a photo of everyone in their Christmas clothes. That's more than enough for my young crew!
If you watch the reindeer cam on reindeercam.com, it's my cousin's friend and his friend that do it!
melilley 10:17 AM 11-25-2014
1. I bought the kids a book/activity set and will probably buy a little more.

2. I haven't thought about this yet. The kids are painting an ornament and I'm going to put their pic and fake snow inside, to give to their parents.

3. We have a little low-key party with a few snacks, but that's about it.
Annalee 10:23 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know there's lots if older threads on this but what is everyone doing this year for,
1) dcks Christmas presents This year we have gotten the kids books with cd's and game appropriate to their age
2) parents Christmas presentsplate of homemade candy which is from me but the kids will have crafts made for their parents
3) Christmas party
Having party on a Friday morning with pancakes and pajamas

Each child receives a gift from me, but each family will bring a throw/blanket and a pair of socks to be given out through a home health business to those that are shut-in...we usually choose a family off the "angel tree" for parents to buy for but we changed that for this year....It is very rewarding! We began the community event when QRIS started because whether you participate or not it goes on our report card....HOWEVER, these events have been wonderful learning experiences for the children in my care as well as myself....It is a meaningful project.
daycarediva 10:35 AM 11-25-2014
I'm doing a plate with handprints to look like a wreath for the parent gift. A few smaller crafts.

No gifts for the kids this year. I'm tired of the ungrateful kids who expect me to buy them TV's. Last year I had a kid throw an epic tantrum because I only bought him ONE train. (Collector of all things Thomas). Never again. Not even a $1 book.
josie2014 11:04 AM 11-25-2014
spoiled kids...so sad...parent's fault.Kids is my age was happy with anything,if not we would saying anything....
SignMeUp 11:16 AM 11-25-2014
1) dcks Christmas presents: $1 Target snowman tote with small activity book, cookies & candies that reflect various winter holidays, jingle bell bracelet

2) parents Christmas presents: clay handprints made & decorated by the children

3) Christmas party: Book exchange and cookie trade. Begins 1/2 hour before normal close time and lasts one hour
sahm1225 12:06 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
If you watch the reindeer cam on reindeercam.com, it's my cousin's friend and his friend that do it!
No way!!! Can you get them to say hi to us??? tell them to say that the kids need to listen to their parents (yhey said that last week and my kids are still repeating it!)
Annalee 12:07 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
1) dcks Christmas presents: $1 Target snowman tote with small activity book, cookies & candies that reflect various winter holidays, jingle bell bracelet

2) parents Christmas presents: clay handprints made & decorated by the children

3) Christmas party: Book exchange and cookie trade. Begins 1/2 hour before normal close time and lasts one hour
Love the book exchange idea!
sahm1225 12:08 PM 11-25-2014
I'm still not sure. Maybe puzzles?
Frame with childs handprint decorated
3) Christmas party- on the 19th. It's a huge party and Santa comes. The families look forward to it every year
melilley 12:12 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
No way!!! Can you get them to say hi to us??? tell them to say that the kids need to listen to their parents (yhey said that last week and my kids are still repeating it!)
You can have them write a letter and then they can have their name on the banner with a $5 donation to feed the reindeer. Not too sure that it costs THAT much to feed them....lol
AuntTami 06:43 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
You can have them write a letter and then they can have their name on the banner with a $5 donation to feed the reindeer. Not too sure that it costs THAT much to feed them....lol
This is the firs I've heard of reindeercam! We're definitely going to be writing letters to Santa Claus tomorrow!

Gifts for Kiddos: I only have one kiddo, and he comes from a great family, so I will probably get him some type of new toy, and some blueberries(lol, theyre his favorite food in the whole world)

Gifts for parents: We're going to make salt dough ornaments with his hand print and we're going to make some type of picture frame with his picture in it

No Christmas party here since I only have the one kiddo, but we'll probably do something special on the 23rd.
Meeko 06:29 AM 11-26-2014
I make baked goodies for each family (apple bread this year)...but that's it. No individual gifts. I have 18 kids on my books.....I'd go broke buying gifts for them all.
Cradle2crayons 08:30 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
This is the firs I've heard of reindeercam! We're definitely going to be writing letters to Santa Claus tomorrow!

Gifts for Kiddos: I only have one kiddo, and he comes from a great family, so I will probably get him some type of new toy, and some blueberries(lol, theyre his favorite food in the whole world)

Gifts for parents: We're going to make salt dough ornaments with his hand print and we're going to make some type of picture frame with his picture in it

No Christmas party here since I only have the one kiddo, but we'll probably do something special on the 23rd.
Second item on my sons list to Santa:: 2 packs celery
midaycare 10:34 AM 11-26-2014
3) Christmas party
Dcks will get individual presents from me. They all like different things. I will spend up to $25 on them.

Parents? Do they need a gift? I make cute crafts from their kids every week, so I'm sure I'll do a few things. Not planning on anything out of the ordinary, though.

It's really hard to do Christmas parties because of all of the part-time kiddos I have, but I will try to somehow include everyone. I'm definitely not doing one after hours, and I'm pretty sure the parents will appreciate that. Their plates are already very full.
Shell 10:43 AM 11-26-2014
1. We're doing a secret Santa, so each child will get a gift from another (my kids are included in this). 2. parents are getting an adorable ornament with a picture of their child and maybe another ornament craft 3. We will have a party with music, food, and games- kids only. I used to buy presents for the kids, but it gets to be too expensive, and they get so much from everyone else, so a party seems to work.
Maggie 11:09 AM 11-26-2014
Santa visits my house early. He comes Dec. 22 and leaves presents that stay at daycare. The kids get a gift from me to take home. This year it's stockings with their name on them filled with a few things like nail polish, lip gloss, matchbox cars, markers etc. The parents are getting homemade vanilla extract. And after the day I'm having, tonight I will be finishing the vodka left over from making the extract!
SignMeUp 11:18 AM 11-26-2014
I may have gotten the book exchange idea here and I know I got the cookie swap idea here ... so Thank You Daycare.com Members (and non-members )
I hope I am happy with how it works out. The way it looks is that it will save me some money (I want to do only a very small fee increase this year, so am working to save in other ways) and save me some frustrations too. Less time spent dreaming up ideas, making homemade items, and not knowing if anyone actually likes them.
So Yay!! I think it's going to be great!! Plus, it's fun to change things up every once in a while
jenn 10:20 PM 11-26-2014
1. A $5-$10 gift that fits the interest of that child.

2. I usually do some type of handprint ornament. Nothing elaborate.

3. No party. We will have special meals and snacks throughout the week.
BumbleBee 11:29 PM 11-26-2014
3) Christmas party
1. Some kids are getting books, some are getting gifts relating to whatever they are struggling with academically or socially, some are getting musical instruments. Depends on the child, their interest, and their abilities.

2. Each family is getting a gift card to Chili's. What can I say, they came in 3 packs and I needed 9 all together. As for what the kids are making for their parents.....ummm.....ask me on Dec 24th. I may have it figured out by then.

3. I don't do parties.
Unregistered 04:25 AM 11-27-2014
I buy clearance toys after Christmas each year and then have a box full of choose from. Usually a $3.00/$5.00 cost to me.

Kids are mixing up a bag of homemade hot cocoa mix with an attached bag of snowman soup ( marshmallows, chocolate chips, Heresy's kiss for the hat) with attached poem and then they pick a dollar store mug to go along with it

I have a small party with two simple games and they kids do a gift exchange of a $4/$5 gift. And a special treat.
originalkat 05:36 PM 11-30-2014
I give out a small gift like a book or stuffed animal at our annual Christmas program. We also have a Polar Express Pajama Party on the last day before Christmas break. FUN! But I try not to spend too much money.
Unregistered 07:07 AM 12-01-2014
Each child is getting a box with a pair of pajama's, hot cocoa, popcorn and a copy of the book "T'was the Night Before Christmas".
I don't buy gifts for the parents but the kids make a different ornament each year to hang on their trees. This year we are doing the "melted snowman" ornament.
We will be having a party with pizza, holiday goodies and lots of games and activities on the last day of care before Christmas vacation.
snbauser 09:25 AM 12-01-2014
1) dcks Christmas presents - pj's, personalized mug, hot chocolate makings and a book (I got the pj's at black friday price ($4.50 each) and the mugs at dollar tree and I will put their names on them in ceramic paint.)
2) parents Christmas presents - ornament and maybe salt dough santa handprints from the kids. My gift to them is a night without cooking. We do a spaghetti dinner the 2nd Friday in Dec.
3) Christmas party - We do a winter themed pj part on the last day before break. Pj's, hot cocoa, popcorn, movie (we usually do Polar Express but might do Frozen this year) and lots of "cold" activites like ice, instasnow, cool whip, etc.
mom2many 09:53 PM 12-01-2014
The kids will be painting a "Santa" handprint on a glass plate with Ho! Ho! Ho! on the rim. I will fill it with homemade cookies. I'm also doing a container of hot chocolate mix for each family with cocoa, peppermint candies, chocolate chips & marshmallows.
For my one year olds, I am customizing a canvas bag with their name painted on with an iron on decal. Inside I have 3 fun kid slipper socks, a book and a pkg of my first crayola markers.
For my two year old to seven year old kids... (I have 7), I'm wrapping a $10 roll of quarters to look like a candy and will put a handful of other candy into each bag. They are so into "coins" and I think they will all love this!
I LOVE Pinterest! I can't claim originality on these ideas, but think the parents and kids will truly love their gifts!
CraftyMom 07:01 AM 12-03-2014
I get something small for the kids, under $5.

We are making gifts for the parents from the kids, I think handprint calendars (which I better get started on!)

Not an official party, but I do a Christmas movie theme day and everyone wears pj's. Last year was awesome! It was Polar Express, anyone interested I can share our activities. This year is The Grinch. Everything that day will be Grinch related. We'll watch the movie, play a couple of games and have a Who Feast!

I decided on gift exchange this year, which will be a first time here.
KayB 10:08 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

We are making gifts for the parents from the kids, I think handprint calendars (which I better get started on!)

Not an official party, but I do a Christmas movie theme day and everyone wears pj's. Last year was awesome! It was Polar Express, anyone interested I can share our activities. This year is The Grinch. Everything that day will be Grinch related. We'll watch the movie, play a couple of games and have a Who Feast!

Yes, please share!
daycarediva 10:23 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

Yes, please!

Can you share last year's? I'm doing a polar express party this year!
Tags:christmas present
Reply Up