Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do If An Infant Is Sick...
AfterSchoolMom 10:13 AM 02-03-2012
... but they're the only child in your care?

The baby (5 mos) is coughing up a storm, congested, red/bleary eyed, and is just lying in the bouncer looking around all pitifully instead of playing as they usually do. They may be a bit warm (my thermometer is broken) but doesn't feel hot. I think they've gotten worse since arrival this AM.

My first instinct is to call the DCP's, but unless they'll be taking the baby to the Dr., it'll just disrupt their workday. They're here with me alone and not germing up any other kids.

I can't decide what to do. What do you all think?
Cat Herder 10:16 AM 02-03-2012
Call DCM and let her decide.

It may be IMPOSSIBLE to get in to the ped this weekend if it get's worse.
bice99 10:19 AM 02-03-2012
I would send home if the criteria meet your exclusion guidelines. Doesn't matter than no one else is there - you are! And that way the parent realizes that next time maybe a sick little one should stay home to start with.
cheerfuldom 03:33 PM 02-03-2012
I agree, send them home. (and replace your thermometer asap). I always send home on Friday, just in case, because like Cath said, they will only have a small window of time to get into the doctor's office and you really have to go the extra mile for younger babies. one small cough can turn into something bad, fast.
littlemissmuffet 03:37 PM 02-03-2012
Get a new thermometer ASAP!!!

I would send home. I don't just worry about my other kiddos getting sick, I don't want to get sick either. Also, if the parent is inconvenienced by having to leave work maybe next time they will just keep their sick kid home to begin with!
momma2girls 04:32 PM 02-03-2012
I would definately call them as well!!
Christian Mother 05:42 PM 02-03-2012
When it's a baby and young as that I wld make the call. Chances are that if the child feels warm..he's got a fever. I have a thermometer that swipes on the forehead and it is doesn't always give me a good reading...but after a few tries I got more a reading of 100.1 and just touching his head and cheek was warm. Not to bad but enough to wonder. With all you said...I would make the call to mom and tell her she should make a call to the doctors asap.
daycare 03:36 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
I would send home if the criteria meet your exclusion guidelines. Doesn't matter than no one else is there - you are! And that way the parent realizes that next time maybe a sick little one should stay home to start with.
I agree with this.... If it is your policy to send home children when ill, then stick to it. DOn't make exception to it. If you make exceptions once, they will expect it again. You have to think of your self too.

Although you may have already been exposed to it, don't over expose yourself and try to do someone a favor. When you start the favors, they turn into expatiation on the parents part, which in return turns into resentment on the providers part..

Guess you can tell that I used to be the FAVORS queen. NOt anymore
Tags:illness
Reply Up