Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Was I Wrong?
Angelwings36 04:33 PM 08-04-2011
I had a family call me at 4:15pm to tell me they were going to be late picking up today because their car broke down this afternoon. My closing time is at 5:15pm and I am not flexiable at all, when I'm closed, I'm closed. Everyone is CLEARLY aware of that. It also only takes a max of 30 mins to get from one side of the city to the other.

So when mom called at 4:15pm to tell me they would be late I made up an excuse that we had a bank appointment that we have been waiting on for 3 weeks so I needed to get out of the door right at 5:15pm today. I hated the idea of just saying, "It's been a long day and I really want to be off when I'm suppose to be," so that's why I lied (I know I should not have lied). However, how do you explain to a person that when your closed your closed without sounding mean? When Walmart closes at 11:00pm you can't call them and ask then to stay open an extra half hour because you are running late and need something, right?

My reasoning was this family called me 1 hour before my closing time and hours after they knew their car was broke down to tell me they would be late. They could have easily called a cab to come get the kids or made other arrangements. I also don't have this family on my new contract so I can't charge them late fees being it's not in 'their' contract. The late fees would have been more expensive then the cab ride.

Did I do the right thing? How would have you dealt with this situation?

Thanks.
Angelwings36 04:34 PM 08-04-2011
To add to this post had they called me at 5:00pm and told me their car had broke down I would have been more understanding.
Michael 04:37 PM 08-04-2011
That is totally up to you if you want to give them a break. I'm sure you want to trust that they are telling the truth. Everyone has things happen that we can't help. If you give them a break hopefully their car won't keep breaking down.
Crystal 04:52 PM 08-04-2011
If you cannot charge them for it, what are you expecting from them?

I rarely have things like this happen, but for my families I make exceptions when things happen that are out of their control. If a family tried to take advantage of that, I would not allow it again, but I have never, in 14 years, had a problem. I think goodwill goes a long way in this business.

Also, I know you acknowledged that you shouldn't have lied......but I must say, if you don't want your daycare families to lie to you, you shouldn't lie to them. You should have told them that your policy is 5:15, no later and that they need to make other arrangements for pick up.
Alexandra 06:14 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
When Walmart closes at 11:00pm you can't call them and ask then to stay open an extra half hour because you are running late and need something, right?

No but often times people are still shopping after they've made announcements that the store will be closing in 10 min.
Crazy8 06:36 PM 08-04-2011
I would have simply told them they need to make arrangements to have their children picked up by 5:15 whether it was by them or not. All home daycare families need to have back ups in case of emergencies.
As much as I love some of my families I do usually need to be out the door right behind them and can't hang around an extra 20-30 minutes even if I wanted to.
sharlan 07:20 PM 08-04-2011
Yes, and, no.

IMHO, you were wrong in lying. (But I have a major issue with lying.)

If you didn't want to watch the kids because the parents had car issues to deal with, then all you had to say was ,"NO, I can't accomodate you tonight. You have to make other arrangements.".
cheerfuldom 08:05 PM 08-04-2011
They need to sign a new contract that includes all your updates including late fees (or an ammendment to the original contract). Besides that, I personally would have asked when they could pick up and just watched the kids till then. HOWEVER I would only do this for my current families because I have a very good relationship with the four families, no one has ever lied for pick up that I am aware of and no one takes advantages of my generosity. If it was a one time thing then yes, I would have worked it out for them. Things happen. I am also not cool with lying to them. I understand your reasons, I just personally would not feel okay to the same thing. I would have said "Im sorry but you have to make other pickup arrangements as I have plans this evening" The plans may have been taking a hot bath or running an errands but thats nothing they need details about.
jen 08:22 PM 08-04-2011
Do you know what time they were planning on arriving?

I think that maybe you were just caught off guard. In the future you'll have your response at hand and can just give the standard, "oh no, I'm sorry, I can't manage that tonight. We have other plans. Sorry!"
Crystal 08:23 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
They need to sign a new contract that includes all your updates including late fees (or an ammendment to the original contract). Besides that, I personally would have asked when they could pick up and just watched the kids till then. HOWEVER I would only do this for my current families because I have a very good relationship with the four families, no one has ever lied for pick up that I am aware of and no one takes advantages of my generosity. If it was a one time thing then yes, I would have worked it out for them. Things happen. I am also not cool with lying to them. I understand your reasons, I just personally would not feel okay to the same thing. I would have said "Im sorry but you have to make other pickup arrangements as I have plans this evening" The plans may have been taking a hot bath or running an errands but thats nothing they need details about.
good answer
squareone 05:43 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I would have simply told them they need to make arrangements to have their children picked up by 5:15 whether it was by them or not. All home daycare families need to have back ups in case of emergencies.
I agree with this. As a courtesy I would have even volunteered to call the person listed as their emergency backup
Cat Herder 05:48 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
How would have you dealt with this situation?

Thanks.
I would have offered to give them a ride home (I already have their addresses and GPS) or called my Mechanic/Garage Owner DCD and worked out something with him.

It is a Southern thing, I think..
momma2girls 05:52 AM 08-05-2011
Yes, I would have said something like this- "well my husband or I can pick you up and take you home with the kids. If this is not an option for you, the next one in line on emergency contacts will be called. There are many evenings, I have something that I have to be at, when it is closing time!
Tags:late fee, late policy
Reply Up