Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiving Late Pickup Fees
Maddy'sMommy 07:23 AM 03-15-2011
I'm trying to iron out my late pickup policy/fees.

Does anyone waive the fee if the parent calls before the scheduled time (my case it would be before 5:30)?

I was thinking if they call before pickup time to say they will be late, I will allow 10 minutes before charging a fee. (to allow for traffic, held up a world, etc.)

I am going to include a clause that says after 3 lateness incidents the fee structure may be reevaluated. Or something like that. In case their are families that abuse the system and call everyday.
missnikki 07:27 AM 03-15-2011
My handbook:

"Late Pick-up Fees (after hours): Parents picking up children after 6:00 p.m. will be charged a late fee of $1.00 per minute, per child with no cap. Late fees are payable in cash to the closing teacher upon pick up. Unpaid late pick up fees will be billed to the child’s account balance. Upon three or more late pick ups within 6 months, a penalty of $30 will be billed for each instance in addition to applicable per-minute fees.

(Also)

We ask that all children arrive by 9:00 a.m. to ensure every opportunity to participate in daily devotions, lessons, and activities. Children must be picked up by 6pm or late pickup fees will be applied (See payment policy). If an unforeseen circumstance will prevent timely pick up of your child, please call to notify Camp staff at (***) ***-***x as soon as possible."

So no leighway, unless I feel like it at the time, and if it keeps happening it gets pricey. I've told a parent after 2 min late that I'll document it this time, but next time will count as #2 AND you have to pay both late fees.
AfterSchoolMom 07:32 AM 03-15-2011
I wouldn't waive fees unless there's an emergency ("I'm at the ER", etc.) and they're trying to find someone else to come and pick the child up. You are still working beyond your scheduled time and deserve to be compensated for it. They wouldn't want to work an extra 5-30 minutes all the time with no extra pay...
AnythingsPossible 07:44 AM 03-15-2011
If a parent calls i waive the late fee. I have 3 parents who work in dr's office's and sometimes they don't get out in time. As long as they give me notice, i don't charge.
jen 07:55 AM 03-15-2011
I take this on a case by case basis...In my experience, when you waive the late fees if they call, some parents will take it as permission to be late...which I don't want.

That said, I do on occassion waive late fees for people who are generally on time, have a valid reason for being late, and don't take it for granted.
daycare 08:06 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I take this on a case by case basis...In my experience, when you waive the late fees if they call, some parents will take it as permission to be late...which I don't want.

That said, I do on occassion waive late fees for people who are generally on time, have a valid reason for being late, and don't take it for granted.
Ditto.... I am also case by case. Some times there are things that happen out of our control. EX: car accident, road work, bad weather, boss keeps you a little late.

If it is not happening all of the time, I do allow for the parents to call me at least 10-15 min ahead of time to inform me. I don't allow text messages informing me that a parent will be late or early. I do also inform the parents that just because they called to tell me that they would be late that I can not promise I can stay later. I do have school and 3 kids of my own to tend to.
Last, if anyone is more than 20 minutes late, even with a phone call, they will have to pay the late full late fees.

Look at it like this. If you are going to write in your policy "late pick up fees" but then allow people to bypass the rule by calling then why even have a policy at all.
people will just call you to tell you hey I am going to be early or late and there will be no fee to pay....and you will be stuck in this situation all the time.
Maddy'sMommy 08:15 AM 03-15-2011
Thanks! You've all given me something to think about.

It probably makes the most sense to have a set policy, and then look at it case-by-case if need be.
SandeeAR 08:18 AM 03-15-2011
I too, look at a case by case basis. One of my parents tends to push it sometimes, but the others are pretty great about it and are rarely late.
Christian Mother 09:18 AM 03-15-2011
For me it is a case by case basis. I don't charge late fees bc I expect the parents to pick up exactly at the time the agreement was made. They know that certain days I need to leave by a certain time and I will not be there. If they are late there children are left with my husband to watch. They all know this at the interview stage and are def. ok with it. I understand things happen...but they also understand my position. I've had all my parents for a couple of yrs and my newest hasn't been late once. They ashually will notify me a day early that DD or DM has a dentist apt that might cause them to be late picking up there son. So there are always prior arrangements or If I am able to stay later I will. I don't mind this if I don't have something going on. I usually allow my daycare to stay open til 5pm but I close at 4:30pm. I do have a part time mom who's son is only here maybe a couple days a wk but for 3 to 4 hrs. She is charged by the hr and if she is late picking up and also late dropping off. I charge her anyway for the over hrs. Doesn't seem to be a problem. So far this has not been a problem for me but if it does then I will start to apply late fees specially if I feel that I am being taken advantage of. There is def. a mutual respect between my parents and I. I don't mind helping out at all as long as they understand and respect what i do.
AfterSchoolMom 02:12 PM 03-15-2011
See, while I agree that a case by case basis is good...if there's road work, or a traffic jam, or boss says you have to be late, that's when you call and make arrangements for someone else to come and get your child. Even if that's not a possibility, call or no call, the provider is still working past their normal hours and as such deserves to be compensated for that time.
Abigail 09:43 PM 03-15-2011
This is in my contract because it's about time and money and care for the child.

Early Drop-off and Late Pickup
A $1 per minute will be added if you drop-off earlier or pickup later than scheduled. Late drop-offs do not allow for late pickups.

I will take every occurance as a case by case basis. I will not put down that the first or second time being early or late that the fee might be waived because everyone will do this once or twice because they can. Short and simple!
Rachel 03:09 AM 03-16-2011
I give 3 free passes during hte year, each pass worth 15 minutes. I figure that covers "traffic happens." After the 3 passes the late fee is invoked, but I have never actually had a family use more than 1 of the freebie late passes, and that was a family who is never late and his bus broke down on the way to pick up his child.
TBird 05:23 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I give 3 free passes during hte year, each pass worth 15 minutes. I figure that covers "traffic happens." After the 3 passes the late fee is invoked, but I have never actually had a family use more than 1 of the freebie late passes, and that was a family who is never late and his bus broke down on the way to pick up his child.
OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I likie!!!!! I think it's only right since weather and traffic do happen...especially in the northeast. Do you print the "passes" up and hand them out at the beginning of the contract????? Oh my goodness I really LOVE this idea!!!!!
Rachel 06:56 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I likie!!!!! I think it's only right since weather and traffic do happen...especially in the northeast. Do you print the "passes" up and hand them out at the beginning of the contract????? Oh my goodness I really LOVE this idea!!!!!
I don't print passes, I have the parent sign on their contract (the one I keep here) that they came at X time on Y day and used a free pass (or 2 if more than 15 minutes late). Never had a problem.
daycare 07:03 AM 03-17-2011
See, while I agree that a case by case basis is good...if there's road work, or a traffic jam, or boss says you have to be late, that's when you call and make arrangements for someone else to come and get your child. Even if that's not a possibility, call or no call, the provider is still working past their normal hours and as such deserves to be compensated for that time.

While I agree with you calling for back up is not always possible for every family. If I were in that situation, I would not have anyone to call. I moved here 3 years ago and have no family close by. The closest trusted friend lives 45 minutes away. So I would not have anyone to help me. I also have two families that I care for thar are in the same boat. I could understand if it was going to be 25-30 min. But not 10 min late give or take a few
Meeko 07:14 AM 03-17-2011
If a mom who is normally never late calls and tells me she is stuck in traffic, I will wave the fee. However, when a mom calls and says she's stuck in traffic for the third time that week and every other mom coming from the same direction has no problem at all.......late fees apply. I just use my judgement. Some clients are honest as the day they were born. Others will use any and all excuses and lies to save themselves a buck and/or get around policy.
Unregistered 08:19 PM 10-27-2011
I'm a parent of 4 children one being a newborn and the other 3 are school aged. I have been late twice both due to car problems and did not have a cell to call but was about 10-15 min late when picking up my child. Today I made a honest mistake and didn't pick up my child until it was 35 min later than the normal pick up time. I was at my son't school presentation and like ALL of us mother's sometimes we forget...This stinks because I remember looking at the clock and reminding myself I had to go..one eye blink later ...DAMN I was late.. I have never done this before...and of course since I didn't have a cell to call I couldn't call~ The daycare was about to call Child Protective Services on me due to neglect! WTF are you kidding me!! After 35 min of a honest mistake and then want to charge me 50.00 for 35 min! Come on now..fine I can understand being paid 1.00 a min for being late...I understand I wouldn't want to work for free either but..come on and then on top of it give me a threat that they will call child services for me being late! Is this normal for child care centers to do this? Or is this lady just a HUGE BITCH! Anyone have answers please....??? Because I just don't understand this!
momofboys 08:41 PM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a parent of 4 children one being a newborn and the other 3 are school aged. I have been late twice both due to car problems and did not have a cell to call but was about 10-15 min late when picking up my child. Today I made a honest mistake and didn't pick up my child until it was 35 min later than the normal pick up time. I was at my son't school presentation and like ALL of us mother's sometimes we forget...This stinks because I remember looking at the clock and reminding myself I had to go..one eye blink later ...DAMN I was late.. I have never done this before...and of course since I didn't have a cell to call I couldn't call~ The daycare was about to call Child Protective Services on me due to neglect! WTF are you kidding me!! After 35 min of a honest mistake and then want to charge me 50.00 for 35 min! Come on now..fine I can understand being paid 1.00 a min for being late...I understand I wouldn't want to work for free either but..come on and then on top of it give me a threat that they will call child services for me being late! Is this normal for child care centers to do this? Or is this lady just a HUGE BITCH! Anyone have answers please....??? Because I just don't understand this!

You said you were late twice due to car problems & now 35 min late?! Wow, I'm sure you signed an agreement being made aware of late fees. The fees are high to encourage you to pick up on time. For some parents if the fees were low they would be late every single day. The provider is not a "huge expletive" as you so kindly put it. How would you like to work 35 min late with no notice? I think your provider has the right idea. I likely would not charge that much but would still charge at least $35.
Unregistered 06:52 AM 10-28-2011
There's nothing worse than wondering when a parent is going to show up, especially after about 10 minutes. At 35 minutes, she was probably quite freaked out and with no phone to call, what else could she have done but to call child services. If you were at a school presentation, you should have mentioned this to the provider when you found out you would be attending the presentation. Perhaps she wouldn't have felt the need to mention the call to child services then. At least she would've known where you were. You may have still been charged the late fees though.

Also, you can get a cell phone for emergencies. They have some that you just pay for what you use in minutes. It's not a bad investment when you have that many kids along in the car.
MarinaVanessa 07:34 AM 10-28-2011
If you're thinking about waiving fees then do it on a case by case basis and DO NOT advertise that you will do that. Just word your handbook to say that after x amount of time you will charge if they are late. If they call you to tell you they are running late and it doesn't happen very often or they don't take advantage of you, you can waive the fees and not charge.

The moment you advertise that you "may" waive certain fees you're asking for trouble. In parent language that means that they can try to be late as much as possible until you decide to actually charge them.
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 10-28-2011
we all forget our kids? I can honestly say THAT has never happened to me before.

In ALL my years of providing care I have NEVER heard that one before.

I'm sure the school you were at while watching your child's presentation had a phone in the office that you oculd have used. There were probably 15 parents sitting near you who probably had a cell phone you could have borrowed as well.

If I have a parent 35 minutes late (with no phone call) and was unable to contact any emergency contacts, I would absolutely call CPS. Who knows what could be wrong!
DaisyMamma 04:51 AM 10-30-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
If a parent calls i waive the late fee. I have 3 parents who work in dr's office's and sometimes they don't get out in time. As long as they give me notice, i don't charge.
Are these parents making overtime during this time? Or getting paid for staying late? Or are they salary?
DaisyMamma 04:57 AM 10-30-2011
You are actually lucky you weren't charged $1 per minute, per child. With 4 little ones you really do need a cell phone. And there was definitely people with phones sitting next to you.
I'm sure it wasn't a "threat" to call childcare services, but actually that's the next step. No phone call from you and provider can't get in touch with anyone to take your kids, what would you expect the provider to do?
Tags:late fee, late pickup
Reply Up