Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sad-Hostess Closing
Country Kids 02:32 PM 11-16-2012
Sad, another American company closing . 18,000 people out of job, keeping them in my prayers. I know how and what they are feeling.
sharlan 02:36 PM 11-16-2012
Our local Wonder Bread closed a few years ago. I sure missed the smell of bread in the morning. It always smelled so good.
daycare 02:37 PM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Sad, another American company closing . 18,000 people out of job, keeping them in my prayers. I know how and what they are feeling.
sorry can you help explain this....is hostess a name of a company??

I thought a hostess was the name of a person who worked at a restaurant???? UGH Just when I think I have it all figured out
SilverSabre25 02:41 PM 11-16-2012
I'm shocked. Not that I ate their stuff but still--shocked.

@Daycare--Hostess is the name of a company that makes snack cakes, Twinkies, bread, etc. Pretty iconic American company. And yes, a hostess (small h, lol) is someone that seats people at a restaurant, or the word for a woman hosting a party/gathering, usually at her home. Host is the male version.
Country Kids 02:42 PM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
sorry can you help explain this....is hostess a name of a company??

I thought a hostess was the name of a person who worked at a restaurant???? UGH Just when I think I have it all figured out

Yes, it is a hostess at a restaurant (18,000 of them out of a job). You will have to start seating yourself-

Yes a hostess does meet/greet/sit you at a restaurant.

There is a huge company that makes snack foods also with this name-twinkies, ho ho's,cupcakes lots of goodies like that. Filled with creme and spongy kinda.

Probably nothing you have eaten so your not going to miss it. It really goes good with pepsi-

I thought all day of what I could post that would confuse you more on the English Language.

All in a days work-
daycare 02:47 PM 11-16-2012
(in my best witch voice ever)

I am gonna get you my pretty..........Muhahahahah

Yes, it is a hostess at a restaurant (18,000 of them out of a job). You will have to start seating yourself

BRAT

thank you for clearing that up. I did google it. wow that company was around for a long time. Sad part is that I don't think it's closing because people are eating healthier???
Michael 04:45 PM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
thank you for clearing that up. I did google it. wow that company was around for a long time. Sad part is that I don't think it's closing because people are eating healthier???
It's a sign of the times.

The gov says you should be eating better. Their snacks taste great but doesn't contain what is considered healthy these days.

The Union and Company could not come to agreeable terms. Now a court will decide in bankruptcy proceedings.

China will make them cheaper under a different name.
Crystal 05:16 PM 11-16-2012
What sucks about it is, basically the bakers/union made the decision for everybody because of the refusal to agree to the terms presented in the new contract. I GET not wanting a pay cut.....which would have been 8% and then they would recieve annual increases each year for five years......That is a lot of money....BUT, now they have NO income, have forced many others out of work in addition to themselves and a business has had to close.

I personally would have taken the pay cut to secure my job, save everybody elses job and the business as well.

The real sign of the times is that many businesses HAVE to reduce wages/benefits in order to remain in business due to the reduction in spending by consumers. (how many providers have had to reduce rates to get clients in the door in this economy?) Employees need to realize that, even though it sucks, taking a pay cut may very well SAVE them.....it is not easy to get a job nowadays.
Scout 05:48 PM 11-16-2012
How many people will blame this on our president?? this is very sad. I wonder if this is why their snacks have been 10/$10 at the grocery store for singles.
melissa ann 05:59 PM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
What sucks about it is, basically the bakers/union made the decision for everybody because of the refusal to agree to the terms presented in the new contract. I GET not wanting a pay cut.....which would have been 8% and then they would recieve annual increases each year for five years......That is a lot of money....BUT, now they have NO income, have forced many others out of work in addition to themselves and a business has had to close.

I personally would have taken the pay cut to secure my job, save everybody elses job and the business as well.

The real sign of the times is that many businesses HAVE to reduce wages/benefits in order to remain in business due to the reduction in spending by consumers. (how many providers have had to reduce rates to get clients in the door in this economy?) Employees need to realize that, even though it sucks, taking a pay cut may very well SAVE them.....it is not easy to get a job nowadays.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Kaddidle Care 09:06 PM 11-16-2012
My son will be broken hearted. He doesn't get them all the time but he loves twinkies.

Little Debbie makes a similar product but it's not the same. Oh boo!
shelby 03:41 AM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:

Well Said! So sad that a few people has caused many to be with out work..
MN Mom 05:05 AM 11-19-2012
My husband was sending invoices on ebay last night, and saw a 'truckload of twinkies' currently at $88,000
Meeko 05:19 AM 11-19-2012
Don't give a hoot about the Twinkies....disgusting, chemical flavored stuff. (I'm from England and used to REAL cream cakes!)

But my heart aches for those without jobs right before the holidays...prayers for them.
Willow 07:10 AM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Don't give a hoot about the Twinkies....disgusting, chemical flavored stuff. (I'm from England and used to REAL cream cakes!)

Agree.

I also agree with Crystal, this is union bologna at it's best. I would never, and I mean NEVER, work for an employer that required union participation.
Willow 07:17 AM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by aprilsfool77:
How many people will blame this on our president??
You know, I am so beyond sick of reading stuff like this.

No one here said anything like that, so was it really necessary?
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Agree.

I also agree with Crystal, this is union bologna at it's best. I would never, and I mean NEVER, work for an employer that required union participation.

Scout 06:51 PM 11-19-2012

That was not directed here. I apologize if it came off that way. that was a rebuttal of peoples facebook comments in the days following the election. I could not post on there cus unfortunately, it was family makng the uncalled for & apalling comments. I think we should all respect whoever is in office no matter if we voted for or not!
Live and Learn 07:06 PM 11-19-2012
Who on Earth eats twinkles?

Nobody I know. I'm not surprised that they might be going out of business.
KristinLynn 07:23 AM 11-28-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
My son will be broken hearted. He doesn't get them all the time but he loves twinkies.

Little Debbie makes a similar product but it's not the same. Oh boo!
Me and the DS's will miss our Orange Cupcakes
sharlan 08:16 AM 11-28-2012
I like to buy Twinkies once or twice a year. I also loved to buy Ding Dongs a couple times and year and hide them in the freezer. I didn't buy their products often, but I did buy them.

We had a Wonder Bread factory down the street from us for years. The smell of baking bread in the AM was a good way to start the day. They had a little store where you could buy "day old" bread. I would go over and stock up at 1/4 the price.

The factory shut down a few years ago and the little store shut down last year. Now it's an empty eyesore surrounded with a chain link fence.
Kaddidle Care 08:18 AM 11-28-2012
I heard Bimbo Bakeries might buy them. They merged or took over Entenmanns way back when.

I personally liked the frosted chocolate cupcakes with the cream in the middle. Haven't had them in years but when I was pregnant I would have one every day (with a big glass of milk of course.. had to be something good in that snack!) Frozen was the best way to eat them.
Tags:union
Reply Up