Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nature of the Beast
Josiegirl 02:25 PM 05-08-2014
This job. It can be a beast some days. One of my dcms called me this a.m. to let me know her dh got laid off from his job. So they're not sure what's going to happen, but he's looking for work. I hate this. Their little girl is the sweetest most precious little thing. I'm truly hoping everything settles down soon for them.
Not to mention it lessens the paycheck and finding enrollment around here is NOT easy.
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 05-08-2014
Aw, I'm sorry...

Did the parents say they were going to pull her? Drop to part time?
How will dad look for another job while caring for the child?

Is he going to be receiving unemployment insurance?

Will you be requiring them to still give notice of the change?

I'm just wondering because in most cases like these the provider is the first person that suffers (financially) as most parents don't get laid off and immediately call and suspend their cell service or cancel their cable or internet.....kwim?

It's usually the provider who is asked to take a pay cut.

(Sorry that makes me sound so jaded but it's the truth so....)

I hope things work out for YOU.
TwinKristi 02:47 PM 05-08-2014
Bummer! I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop here. I'm finally full and it's like I know kids can leave at the drop of a hat and change everything!

And BC is right, it's funny how we're just the disposable expense! They expect us to move mountains while caring for their precious but drop us when things get bumpy.
Josiegirl 02:53 PM 05-08-2014
I know BC, all those thoughts have been running around in my head too. Part of me feels guilty expecting them to pay the last 2 weeks but the other part of me really needs the money too. I brought up the fact that I do need a 2 week notice and she said he's going to look for work asap, and has lots of leads and connections. They're not sure if they can swing even PT if nothing materializes quickly for him. She said she'd know more in a few days; they just found out yesterday and I'm sure must be still adjusting to the news.
I've had this dcg for a year, she turns 2 this weekend. They're some of the nicest people I've ever had in my daycare.
*sigh*
I agree Twinkristi, I always feel like I'm 2 weeks away from the poor house because any of them can leave at any time. I'm glad summer is almost here because I'll have schoolagers coming back. If I can make do until then....
TwinKristi 03:01 PM 05-08-2014
Yeah last summer I took on another infant and was finally full! Then mom gives me 2wks notice in Sept because she's quitting her job, then another mom gives me notice for Oct and another for Dec! I was so floored! Seriously January sucked because I had no one here! Then I pushed my only boy to go FT with a discounted rate, got DCG on a whim, another PT DCB, and 2 more FT this month alone and I'm scared to plan ahead for anything. I would push for your 2wks notice because that is what you deserve and need. I really hope things work out for them and she stays.
SignMeUp 03:44 PM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I agree Twinkristi, I always feel like I'm 2 weeks away from the poor house because any of them can leave at any time.
In my opinion, family child care providers need to work on changing the "standard" model of two week notice.
Two weeks used to allow enough time to find another family. It does not any more, and hasn't for a very long time.
TheGoodLife 08:04 PM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
In my opinion, family child care providers need to work on changing the "standard" model of two week notice.
Two weeks used to allow enough time to find another family. It does not any more, and hasn't for a very long time.
I actually have a 4 week notice. I haven't had anyone complain about it yet- I do require a 2 week deposit upfront, so they have to give 4 weeks notice, but end up paying only 2, then the last 2 weeks are "free" to them, since they paid it at the beginning. Gives me more time to try to find a replacement family@
SignMeUp 08:55 PM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I actually have a 4 week notice. I haven't had anyone complain about it yet- I do require a 2 week deposit upfront, so they have to give 4 weeks notice, but end up paying only 2, then the last 2 weeks are "free" to them, since they paid it at the beginning. Gives me more time to try to find a replacement family@

daycarediva 03:35 AM 05-09-2014
I had a dcp get denied unemployment when he told the case worker he was in such a tight financial bind that he pulled dcb out of daycare. Technically, he wasn't ready, willing and able to work if he didn't have child care.

They ended up having grandma pay for the interim and keep him enrolled.

I hope your dcd finds something asap!
Tags:burnt out, daycare environment
Reply Up