Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Month Old - How Much?
flying_babyb 06:39 PM 07-01-2017
how many ounces should a aveage 3 month old drink? we have a DCB who been at the center a few weeks. Usually hes eating around 8 oz in a 8 hr day. Hes a BF baby at home, formula at daycare. im curious cause he seems hungry a lot but when you feed him he screams, cause hes so gassy. Most of the time, his little belly is rock hard!
trix23 07:32 PM 07-01-2017
It's hard on babies to switch back and forth. Maybe suggest they try a sensitive formula.
Baby Beluga 10:33 PM 07-01-2017
There is an equation that says a baby should eat about 2.5 times their weight in ounces per 24 hours. So a 10lb baby would eat 25 ounces in a 24 hour period.

All babies will eat their own specific amount, though. My DD ate way less than this equation and my DS eats way more.

Does he poop while in care? I would suggest asking DCP's about adding gas drops to his bottles and do tummy rubs/bicycle legs to help ease gas and possible constipation pains. Also second a formula change. Especially if he is BF at home, he would likely benefit from a partially broken down formula since those are supposed to be more gentle on the tummy.
flying_babyb 07:06 PM 07-02-2017
Does he poop while in care? I would suggest asking DCP's about adding gas drops to his bottles and do tummy rubs/bicycle legs to help ease gas and possible constipation pains.

He dont poop for us, and poops for mom every three days or so! Mom english sucks, but we have tried to explain gas drops to her a few times. I do the rubs and stuff like I used to do to my gassy baby (helped raise cousin)
hwichlaz 10:46 AM 07-03-2017
8 ounces sounds about right. Have you looked at the infant meal patterns?

It says 4-6 ounces per meal. So if your little guy nurses before drop off, then has a liquid lunch and liquid snack...that's still within guidelines for through 7 months of age. And that's the what we're supposed to offer, not what they have to take in.

It's very normal for a breastfed baby to reverse cycle when in daycare. They change their fasting period to the daytime so that they can wait for the good stuff they have on tap at home.

Sounds like this little guy is solidly within norms. It might take him a while to get used to the formula though. It's much harder to digest than mother's milk is. If he's not better in a couple of weeks I'd ask parents to switch to sensitive formula.
Tags:3 month old, hydration, infant - hydration, infants
Reply Up