Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Storm, WWYD?
Play Care 08:28 AM 03-07-2018
We are in the middle of a nor'easter. Predicted to get pretty bad later on. One mom messaged me last night and asked if I would be closing early. I told her no, unless roads were hazardous.
Her school is closing at 12:15. Dad told me at drop off she would probably pick up on the way home (doing me a favor ) She finally texts me to say she will pick up after nap.
All my other kids will be leaving by 12:00. I could close. But, the snow is not sticking to the roads at this point, and roads are perfectly clear. To close would make me not honor my word. However, it's supposed to get worse later.
I did tell Dad all the other kids were leaving by 12:30...
I could also see an after nap pick up stretched to regular time, which would be pretty boring for a lone 2 year old.
Cat Herder 08:59 AM 03-07-2018
Are you in-home or do you need travel time? I can't remember .
Snowmom 08:59 AM 03-07-2018
"Mom, if you are leaving work at 12:15 with the school closure, I would appreciate picking up dck before nap. Thanks for understanding."
amberrose3dg 09:02 AM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
We are in the middle of a nor'easter. Predicted to get pretty bad later on. One mom messaged me last night and asked if I would be closing early. I told her no, unless roads were hazardous.
Her school is closing at 12:15. Dad told me at drop off she would probably pick up on the way home (doing me a favor ) She finally texts me to say she will pick up after nap.
All my other kids will be leaving by 12:00. I could close. But, the snow is not sticking to the roads at this point, and roads are perfectly clear. To close would make me not honor my word. However, it's supposed to get worse later.
I did tell Dad all the other kids were leaving by 12:30...
I could also see an after nap pick up stretched to regular time, which would be pretty boring for a lone 2 year old.
If they cannot make it on time because of the conditions and do not pick up early I would make sure to hit them with late fees. Parents need to be responsible the weather isn't your concern.
amberrose3dg 09:02 AM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
"Mom, if you are leaving work at 12:15 with the school closure, I would appreciate picking up dck before nap. Thanks for understanding."
This too!
Play Care 09:08 AM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are you in-home or do you need travel time? I can't remember .
In home, however I had a very bad experience with a weather related issue and a child not being able to be picked up due to that.
Play Care 09:09 AM 03-07-2018
I wound up telling her I would text her after nap and would be closing by 2:30. Roads are still clear.
amberrose3dg 09:12 AM 03-07-2018
I wound up telling her I would text her after nap and would be closing by 2:30. Roads are still clear.
Good that storm looks brutal.I would not want to get stuck with someone's kid.
Unregistered 10:38 AM 03-07-2018
We use to have the same problem with our daycare families until the decision was made to go by the school system
Play Care 11:28 AM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
If they cannot make it on time because of the conditions and do not pick up early I would make sure to hit them with late fees. Parents need to be responsible the weather isn't your concern.
That is in my contract "Because snow is not an excuse for me to be closed, it is not an acceptable excuse for late pick ups. It is up to the parent to arrive on time, or use their designated alternate pick up person to pick up on time. Late fees will be charges."
Cat Herder 11:59 AM 03-07-2018
I don't close for weather but often tell parents (and post on our FB page) I expect them to use good judgement, $1 per minute late fee will apply, no excuses; "Not even being held hostage by abominable snow man. You know who you are. "

I tend to tack on a few funny catastrophizing/minimizing lines/images here and there, but they get the jist.
amberrose3dg 12:42 PM 03-07-2018
That is in my contract "Because snow is not an excuse for me to be closed, it is not an acceptable excuse for late pick ups. It is up to the parent to arrive on time, or use their designated alternate pick up person to pick up on time. Late fees will be charges."
Did she pick up on time?
Play Care 01:02 PM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Did she pick up on time?
She picked up right after nap. I texted and she was here in minutes.
To be honest, if this kiddo was not a great napper I probably would have said to pick up before hand. But I got two solid hours and was able to get a ton of things done
Play Care 01:05 PM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I don't close for weather but often tell parents (and post on our FB page) I expect them to use good judgement, $1 per minute late fee will apply, no excuses; "Not even being held hostage by abominable snow man. You know who you are. "

I tend to tack on a few funny catastrophizing/minimizing lines/images here and there, but they get the jist.
I love that!
BrynleeJean 03:50 PM 03-07-2018
I close for weather days. Idk where you are but where i am the snow doesn't ever really get bad, maybe ice sometimes but not ever super bad but its like always a HUGE deal for everyone! like roads are so slow everyone going 10 on the freeway and so many wrecks like nobody has any sense. so when the school near me closes i do too just to save myself the inevitably late parent.
and about the late policy! i did the dollar a minute thing, but would feel bad about charging it, or like they'd say, my clock or your clock kinda thing? well i heard this other provider doesn't do late fees she just makes it known that she doesn't do late fees and if it ever became an issue that she would probably ask that the family find another care provider because they obviously weren't being respectful of her time and her families time. she says she doesn't have people being LATE!
even with my dollar a minute late fee id still have people late all the time! the money didnt matter to me it was the time.
good luck!
Play Care 05:18 PM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
I close for weather days. Idk where you are but where i am the snow doesn't ever really get bad, maybe ice sometimes but not ever super bad but its like always a HUGE deal for everyone! like roads are so slow everyone going 10 on the freeway and so many wrecks like nobody has any sense. so when the school near me closes i do too just to save myself the inevitably late parent.
and about the late policy! i did the dollar a minute thing, but would feel bad about charging it, or like they'd say, my clock or your clock kinda thing? well i heard this other provider doesn't do late fees she just makes it known that she doesn't do late fees and if it ever became an issue that she would probably ask that the family find another care provider because they obviously weren't being respectful of her time and her families time. she says she doesn't have people being LATE!
even with my dollar a minute late fee id still have people late all the time! the money didnt matter to me it was the time.
good luck!
I'm in upstate NY, we get lots of snow! I don't close every time because honestly, most people have either 4 wheel or all wheel drive and we have good snow/ice removal systems in place. But I had a really bad experience with a sick kid during a snow storm when I first started out. It made me realize that even though I don't have to go anywhere, people still need to be able to GET their child.
amberrose3dg 03:50 AM 03-08-2018
I'm in upstate NY, we get lots of snow! I don't close every time because honestly, most people have either 4 wheel or all wheel drive and we have good snow/ice removal systems in place. But I had a really bad experience with a sick kid during a snow storm when I first started out. It made me realize that even though I don't have to go anywhere, people still need to be able to GET their child.
Honestly that is why I close if there is bad weather. I do not want to be in that situation. I have seen some parents that I honestly would be concerned that would happen with.
Tags:closing due to, closing due to snow, snow storm
Reply Up