Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Sick do YOU Have to Be & How Much Info do You Disclose to Parents?
momofboys 05:17 AM 01-21-2011
Okay, I have never really been ill enough to close DC for the family I care for. However, this week a couple of things have been going on with me that make me not 100%. My husband took most of yesterday off so I could rest but I didn't tell my DC family. Was that a big NO NO? Husband cared for the kids 75% of the time & by the time I got up from my nap I was feeling much better. I did have a slight fever Wed evening (100.3 -that is why hubby stayed home) but no other major symptoms. I am always very up front about my kids' symptoms or illnesses to DC family but for some reason my thought it if I feel okay enough even if not 100% I can still do my job. Of course I wouldn't want anyone to get sick b/c of me but my guess is DC family would still bring their kids. So what does everyone else do?
SilverSabre25 05:22 AM 01-21-2011
I've never closed daycare for my own illness--although I have contemplated it once or twice in the past couple weeks when that stomach virus was running through my family/daycare. I would have to be pretty sick, and DH would have to be unable to take off work for some reason or sick himself, for me to close daycare for my own illness. I tend to believe that grown-ups are inherently better at keeping their germs to themselves, lol.
momofboys 05:26 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I've never closed daycare for my own illness--although I have contemplated it once or twice in the past couple weeks when that stomach virus was running through my family/daycare. I would have to be pretty sick, and DH would have to be unable to take off work for some reason or sick himself, for me to close daycare for my own illness. I tend to believe that grown-ups are inherently better at keeping their germs to themselves, lol.
I think you are right about keeping germs to ourselves. I am meticulous about washing my hands, changing hand towels, disinfecting.
SilverSabre25 05:28 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
I think you are right about keeping germs to ourselves. I am meticulous about washing my hands, changing hand towels, disinfecting.
And not breathing on people, coughing on people, wiping snot everywhere...

Oh, and to answer the disclosure question, I rarely disclose much about my own illnesses to parents. Pregnancy, yes, but that's not contagious, lol! I actually rarely disclose about my DD's, either, but she is so rarely sick that it just hasn't come up much--she usually gets a MUCH milder version of what someone else brings in and passes around.
Danielle 05:32 AM 01-21-2011
I only close if I have a high fever or vomiting. If I just have a cold, I call the parents and let them decide. If my kids are sick (symptoms that in my handbook says a dck needs to stay home), I also call them and let them decide. I've only had to close twice in almost 3 years...both were last year. Stomach bug and mastitis.
Danielle 05:35 AM 01-21-2011
I don't think it's right to not let the parents know. I would be ticked if I brought my kids to a sitter and didn't know that the sitter or her kids were sick. I think the parents have a right to decide if they want their kids exposed.
jen 06:11 AM 01-21-2011
I don't think you did anything wrong. I've been doing daycare for years and I've never closed due to my own illness.
cillybean83 06:29 AM 01-21-2011
The only time I closed was in November when my gallbladder *literally* exploded. I got rushed to the hospital, my BP was 60/40 and I got stabbed with a huge shot of epinephrine (or however you spell it) and ended up in surgery for 6 hours because I had gallstones go off like buckshot and they were imbedded in my liver, kidney, intestines, and stomach.

The one daycare parents that I still have was very concerned, visited me in the hospital, offered to take off work to watch MY kids, she was so sweet.

The other daycare parent (who is no longer here) threw a hissy fit, called me at the hospital and YELLED at me because she didn't have back up care.

SilverSabre25 06:34 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
The only time I closed was in November when my gallbladder *literally* exploded. I got rushed to the hospital, my BP was 60/40 and I got stabbed with a huge shot of epinephrine (or however you spell it) and ended up in surgery for 6 hours because I had gallstones go off like buckshot and they were imbedded in my liver, kidney, intestines, and stomach.

The one daycare parents that I still have was very concerned, visited me in the hospital, offered to take off work to watch MY kids, she was so sweet.

The other daycare parent (who is no longer here) threw a hissy fit, called me at the hospital and YELLED at me because she didn't have back up care.

cillybean, you are MUCH better off without that second one! Wow! I can't believe that! Well, wait, I *can*....but you know what I mean, lol.
DanceMom 06:35 AM 01-21-2011
Ya know..I actually dont even tell my parents anymore but that is because of THEM. I used to call them if me or my kids were sick and give them the option to come, but every single time they would still come no matter what...so now I dont even bother telling them.

Ive never closed for my own illness and Ive only closed for my son when he had H1N1 last winter...other than that the typical virus or cold - I dont even tell them...

Again..because they come anyways and have every single time...
momofboys 06:36 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
I don't think it's right to not let the parents know. I would be ticked if I brought my kids to a sitter and didn't know that the sitter or her kids were sick. I think the parents have a right to decide if they want their kids exposed.
Unless you missed what I had written I did not provide care for the kids. . . my husband did. I cared for them for maybe 1/2 - 1 hr before they were picked up & at that time I hadn't had a fever for 24 hrs.
lvt77 07:01 AM 01-21-2011
Unless you missed what I had written I did not provide care for the kids. . . my husband did. I cared for them for maybe 1/2 - 1 hr before they were picked up & at that time I hadn't had a fever for 24 hrs.
I guess you have to look at it like this? Is any one complaining? I know that you feel guilty, but its not like you took the day off to go shopping or to lay in bed all day to watch soaps. You did these paretns a favor by not closing. You had to do what you needed to in order to run your business. I see no harm done....
I do think however, maybe you should have stayed away from the kids the entire day as not to expose the kids.....
I commend you for taking that extra mile asking your husband to take the day off of work to help you. Lucky for everyone you had that as an option...
momofboys 07:02 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
Ya know..I actually dont even tell my parents anymore but that is because of THEM. I used to call them if me or my kids were sick and give them the option to come, but every single time they would still come no matter what...so now I dont even bother telling them.

Ive never closed for my own illness and Ive only closed for my son when he had H1N1 last winter...other than that the typical virus or cold - I dont even tell them...

Again..because they come anyways and have every single time...
I guess this was kind of how I felt. . . whenever I disclosed ANYTHING they came regardless of what it was. . . strep/fever/bronchitis, etc. And I know for a fact that there are lots of times they had been ill that they never bothered to even tell me. There is a good chance that I got ill as a result of them. DCG said something about being sick over the weekend. So I guess it goes both ways.
DaycareMomma 07:09 AM 01-21-2011
My youngest son was born with many health problems. My daycare parents knew this when they signed on with me, as I started daycare after he was born. I have had to take off 3 different weeks for my son being hospitalized, a few days here and there for his appointments and for when he's sick. I have RARELY closed for myself. I think I did once when I had such a bad migraine that I couldn't even use the phone to call the parents, my husband had to.

For the most party my parents are pretty understanding. I have never lost a family due to my son being hospitalized and whatnot.

If I'm feeling less than stellar, I will tell the parents when they get here and it is in their ballcourt if they want to stay or go.
MarinaVanessa 07:13 AM 01-21-2011
Just remember that if someone has a fever for something contagious they are typically contagious a few days before they even get symptoms as well as during the time they have the fever. Your fever wasn't all that high and I'm sure that for the short time that you were watching the littles you took precautions anyway.

If I'm sick I have someone come and sub for me also but I let the parents know and give them the choice of picking the kids up or not with the understanding that if they get sick they have to go/stay home. I've only been sick so bad that I've to call someone in for me until a few weeks ago but I have been sick with colds and coughs and low grade fevers and none of the parents have ever opted to come pick their child up. None of their kiddos ever got sick because of this either but I always let the parents know so they have the choice to pick up or not.
Danielle 07:16 AM 01-21-2011
Guess I should have made myself more clear. I was referring to the others that said that they do care for the kids and don't tell the parents they they themselves or their kids are sick.
boysx5 09:43 AM 01-21-2011
I never close when I"m sick I manage to get by. The only time I closed was last year when I had a sinus infection so bad I was dizzy and couldn't stand up without the room spinning.
DCMomOf3 10:37 AM 01-21-2011
i've closed three times. Once for vomiting and sweats, one for fever/flu, and then for about 6 weeks due to my stroke. I tell my parents when I fit my sickness policy, or my kids do and let them decide otherwise. If my Dh were listed as my backup provider I would probably say I was feeling under the weather so dh was going to help care for the kids.
Missani 10:59 AM 01-21-2011
I haven't been doing this very long (almost 6 months) so I haven't ever closed. I never used to stay home from work either, though, so I always just manage to get by. I don't think you did anything wrong, though. I would have done the same thing.

In fact, I kind of wish I could right now. I just took my own temp (which I never do) and ironically it was 100.3. I am afraid I might have strep and have worked with it most of the week. Oops! I've been a bit stressed this week and, not smart of me, but just realized that I've had a headache, nauseousness, and a really sore throat most of the week. My hubby couldn't sub for me this week, though, because he just had surgery on Monday and spent the first half of the week in the hospital. Not like it really matters, I would have given the parents the option to come or not, and I'm sure they would have all come. I have one family that mom is out of town and dad is an attorney currently in a trial, another that mom is 35 weeks pregnant in preterm labor and mom and dad are both sick with nasty colds, and the last that dad is JUST starting a new job and mom has been in mandatory meetings. I also was closed on Monday for my husband's surgery, so I would not want to close again the same week. If I would have closed, I would have caused a lot of chaos for all of them. It's not like I would have spent the day resting, either, because I would have still had my own kids and my poor husband to take care of. And, I agree that adults are MUCH better at keeping their germs to themselves. I promise not to spit on them or lick them or anything, and I'm an excellent hand washer. Nonetheless, I suppose an urgent care visit is in my near future, and if I do have strep I will of course let them know.

As far as telling the parents, I would probably tell them. They wouldn't care, though, because my husband is a great sub and the kids like him better than they do me! In this case, I don't think you'd have to tell them unless you think someone would be upset if they didn't know. The kids will probably tell them anyway.
Tags:closed from sckness, illness, illness policy
Reply Up