Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>But They Would LEAVE Early :)
MsMe 05:11 AM 04-07-2011
So we are always talking about Parents and the crazy things they say but I got a call from CCR&R yesterday that I thought I would share. Keep in mind I know this women well. She helped put together the CDA classes I took and helped me a lot in the set up of my program. She knows my program very well.

She wanted to know if I hade a spot for new family that was moving to town. I asked her what their hours would be and replied 6am to 2pm. She knows that my hours are 7:30 to 5:15 I have told here this at least 100 times. I remind her that is much too early and that family won't work for me. Her responce floored me!

CCR&R Oh sweety, I know you like your sleep but the family leave at 2pm! So they will be gone early!!

ME: Um, ya but I still have all of my other families untill 5:15 so it doesnt make my day any shorter just LONGER.

CCR&R: Well if you can't get out of bed I'll tell them you just don't have a spot.

I tried to explain to her will no sucess that not taking the family had nothing to do with my inablity to 'get up' in the morning....but I donthtignk it ever really sank in. I ended the phone call even feelign a little lazy. Although I NEVER concider taking a family outside of my hours it now make me wonder hen I get call that are for earlier or later do the families think I am lazy for having set hours? Sorry people my 10 hour days are long enough.
Stacy214 05:19 AM 04-07-2011
I don't blame you one bit and geesh lady, wonder how long her days are...
TBird 05:22 AM 04-07-2011
OMG, you have GOT to be kidding!!!! I would have been SO insulted!!!! The audacity of her to even "ass"ume that you'd be in BED!!!! I am "ass"uming that maybe you have a family of your own...maybe you iron clothes in the morning (um the hot iron is dangerous to the little ones), maybe you sign permission slips, maybe you wash your smallest child, maybe you wash yourself....there are so many things you could be doing in the morning besides lying in bed. I'm sorry but this lady was out of line and had a lot of nerve acting like she knows you like that. She would have gotten an EARFUL from me!!!!

WHOO WHEE....that hit a nerve, LOL!!!!
nannyde 05:27 AM 04-07-2011
I would do the really early arrival BUT the two p.m. departure would be smack dab in the middle of nap.

I don't mind the early arrivals because they just go back to bed. I'm already up so it's fine.

I do like the days when 7:30 is my first kid but for an early out kid... I'll open my doors.

Those "six a.m. to two p.m.'s" usually are 5:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. or 3 p.m.
When they hit you with those hours and you say... okay I'll do that .. then they hit you with.. "oh those are MY work hours. I have to drop off a half hour before that and pick up a half hour after."

It's rare to find someone that does their whole work day in eight hours unless you have one parent dropping off and the other picking up.
MsMe 05:44 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
OMG, you have GOT to be kidding!!!! I would have been SO insulted!!!! The audacity of her to even "ass"ume that you'd be in BED!!!! I am "ass"uming that maybe you have a family of your own...maybe you iron clothes in the morning (um the hot iron is dangerous to the little ones), maybe you sign permission slips, maybe you wash your smallest child, maybe you wash yourself....there are so many things you could be doing in the morning besides lying in bed. I'm sorry but this lady was out of line and had a lot of nerve acting like she knows you like that. She would have gotten an EARFUL from me!!!!

Thanks that is exaclty the way I felt. I think maybe the reason she was talking this way is because I do not have a family of my own. My Mother(my partner), friends, and very rarely DC families have a hard time understanding that ANY TIME I have outside of daycare is my own and there should be NOTHING they can say about it. I do all of the paperwork and any after hours things that need to be finished bc my Mother still has my two brothers at home. Because I have no one at home it means more then half od teh work is mine?

Nearly all of my friends have children and try to give me a hard time about sleeping in on the weekends or spending the whole weeknd at my boyfriend house (30 minutes away from mine) going out to eat, to the movies, and spend our money on our hobbies. They make comments about how they would love to go out and do fun thigns all the time.. but they just don't get to do things like that all the time being a grown-up"

EXCUSE ME? You had a child and I did not. that does NOT make you anymore of a grown-up then me!!!!!!

I will also not watch your kids all weekend because you need a break and 'I know wht I'm doing.' I need a break from my week too. If you want to go to the movies hire a babysitter and stop knocking on my door. How I spend my childfree life is non of your business and I willnot let you make me feel bad about it!!!!
MsMe 05:47 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would do the really early arrival BUT the two p.m. departure would be smack dab in the middle of nap.

I don't mind the early arrivals because they just go back to bed. I'm already up so it's fine.

I do like the days when 7:30 is my first kid but for an early out kid... I'll open my doors.

Those "six a.m. to two p.m.'s" usually are 5:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. or 3 p.m.
When they hit you with those hours and you say... okay I'll do that .. then they hit you with.. "oh those are MY work hours. I have to drop off a half hour before that and pick up a half hour after."

It's rare to find someone that does their whole work day in eight hours unless you have one parent dropping off and the other picking up.
i don't allow pick up durring nap time either so it would have ahd to be 3pm and I also perfer that that parents wait untill 330 if possible so we can finish snack as well. if tehy come right when we are folding up mats and blankets, going potty, and sitting down to teh table it causes even more problems then if I have to wake a sleeping child.
Evansmom 05:57 AM 04-07-2011
I'd have said "no way! 6am is when I do my yoga and if I don't get that hour I am a mess. sorry!"

Which is true for me. The part where she assumed that you were still in bed at 6am is what got me. And even if you are SO WHAT??? I'm sure you, like me and every other daycare provider, are up early and on your feet all day. I was up still cleaning the kitchen last night at 9pm so that puts my day at 15 hours. It was rude of her to comment like that like you are some lazy person who won't get up a bit earlier. Jeesh!
cheerfuldom 06:01 AM 04-07-2011
I would never do those hours and that lady had no right to make you feel bad about not accommodating the family. 1 1/2 hours added to your day is A LOT, hello?! And the thing about early pickups is that the family normally feels that it is perfectly all right to leave their kids there until after 5 because you are open anyway. Unless they are a rare family, this WILL be a problem.
MsMe 06:13 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would never do those hours and that lady had no right to make you feel bad about not accommodating the family. 1 1/2 hours added to your day is A LOT, hello?! And the thing about early pickups is that the family normally feels that it is perfectly all right to leave their kids there until after 5 because you are open anyway. Unless they are a rare family, this WILL be a problem.
I learned this lesson the hard way. 5 years ago they signed on when expection their first. Dad was a school teacher and would 'always be here to get Jr. right after school'. After one month I never saw Dad again. The little girl is very difficult and now their is a second. They are here ever hour I am open NO MATTER WHAT.

I now have families that promise early pickups sign a contract that states early pick up is a requirement.
TBird 06:21 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by LLD:
Thanks that is exaclty the way I felt. I think maybe the reason she was talking this way is because I do not have a family of my own. My Mother(my partner), friends, and very rarely DC families have a hard time understanding that ANY TIME I have outside of daycare is my own and there should be NOTHING they can say about it. I do all of the paperwork and any after hours things that need to be finished bc my Mother still has my two brothers at home. Because I have no one at home it means more then half od teh work is mine?

Nearly all of my friends have children and try to give me a hard time about sleeping in on the weekends or spending the whole weeknd at my boyfriend house (30 minutes away from mine) going out to eat, to the movies, and spend our money on our hobbies. They make comments about how they would love to go out and do fun thigns all the time.. but they just don't get to do things like that all the time being a grown-up"

EXCUSE ME? You had a child and I did not. that does NOT make you anymore of a grown-up then me!!!!!!

I will also not watch your kids all weekend because you need a break and 'I know wht I'm doing.' I need a break from my week too. If you want to go to the movies hire a babysitter and stop knocking on my door. How I spend my childfree life is non of your business and I willnot let you make me feel bad about it!!!!
OMG, your mom must be so proud of you!!! You're designing your life around what's comfortable for YOU and not anyone else. People always have these grandios ideas about what you should be doing with your life because it's convenient for THEM!!! You're gainfully employed, obviously mature, and in a noble profession. Now that sounds more "grown up" than a lot of people I know. I hope you're either sleeping, doing yoga, eating breakfast, washing your hair or at the gym at 6AM....and the next time that lady calls you PULEEZE be ready for her!!!
cheerfuldom 06:50 AM 04-07-2011
I like the "noble profession" part well said!
jen 06:51 AM 04-07-2011
So we are always talking about Parents and the crazy things they say but I got a call from CCR&R yesterday that I thought I would share. Keep in mind I know this women well. She helped put together the CDA classes I took and helped me a lot in the set up of my program. She knows my program very well.

She wanted to know if I hade a spot for new family that was moving to town. I asked her what their hours would be and replied 6am to 2pm. She knows that my hours are 7:30 to 5:15 I have told here this at least 100 times. I remind her that is much too early and that family won't work for me. Her responce floored me!

CCR&R Oh sweety, I know you like your sleep but the family leave at 2pm! So they will be gone early!!

ME: Um, ya but I still have all of my other families untill 5:15 so it doesnt make my day any shorter just LONGER.

CCR&R: Well if you can't get out of bed I'll tell them you just don't have a spot.

I tried to explain to her will no sucess that not taking the family had nothing to do with my inablity to 'get up' in the morning....but I donthtignk it ever really sank in. I ended the phone call even feelign a little lazy. Although I NEVER concider taking a family outside of my hours it now make me wonder hen I get call that are for earlier or later do the families think I am lazy for having set hours? Sorry people my 10 hour days are long enough.
LOL! She wants to be the HERO and she wants YOU to pay the price for it!

My guess is that she is finding it difficult to find daycare that works with this family's hours in the price range the family wants to pay. She doesn't want to be their savior, ie. Look how great I am...I found these folks daycare when they couldn't do it on their own! Aren't I fabulous!

By the way, that "oh sweetie" thing wouldn't play with me at ALL. Could she be any more condescending! Good Lord!
missnikki 06:55 AM 04-07-2011
Well if you thought you knew that lady, this just proves that she is one of those types that 'friends' everyone and blurs the professional line...so much that she she probably told this family"I know this one girl who isn't open that early, but I can get her to do it, we're friends." And didn't want to look bad to the family when you said 'no'.

If she tries this again, I would jokingly say, "I picked 7:00 because my hubby and I don't wear a stitch of clothes before 6:45, it's not gonna happen."
Childminder 07:06 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by :
Tell her:
My husband and I practice Tantric Sex which takes forever and that is part of the time we have set aside just for that.

SandeeAR 08:10 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Tell her:
My husband and I practice Tantric Sex which takes forever and that is part of the time we have set aside just for that.

MarinaVanessa 08:26 AM 04-07-2011
Tell her:
then
What a great laugh to start the day!!!

What I was going to say was that I love how people don't understand that we work 10-12 hour days. I open at 6am and just because I get up at 5am doesn't mean that I want to take another kid at that time and just like OP said, just because they leave earlier doesn't mean that it makes it any easier. When you have 4 or 5 kids at a time on less doesn't make a difference lol Good for you. Glad you stuck to your guns.
Live and Learn 09:58 AM 04-07-2011
I guarantee you they wouldn't want to pay an "early drop off" fee either.
Christian Mother 10:54 AM 04-07-2011
I am willing to bet the 2:30pm pick up would change to 5:15pm or when you close...can't remember what you put on here. It always happens when the parents find out what time you close. Unless they are getting charged more for staying later.
PitterPatter 11:00 AM 04-07-2011

OMG how RUDE!! And coming from such an educated person in the field I would expect MUCH more respect! Do NOT feel lazy!! U are a hard worker AS IS! I think she meant to lay a guilt trip by the sounds of that! I just don't get people I really don't! Why doesn't she wake her own butt up and take them if it's so important. Oh and I hate that "oh sweety" crap too! It's just sugar coating for their rude comment to follow! UGH!
PitterPatter 11:02 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:

YEAH AND WHAT SHE SAID TOO!! lol
PitterPatter 11:06 AM 04-07-2011
Tell her:
SPEW!!!

Water all over the screen great!
lily22 01:07 PM 04-07-2011
You did the right thing. I also had hours that started at 6am, which meant I had to get up at least by 5:15 to get ready for them. and that 2pm pick up could sometimes be later if they are running late. I think parents really believe that just becuase us providers are working from home, we don't work as hard as those who get up and go out to work. We work just as hard, or harder then some. We have to get up, get ourselves ready, get our children ready for school, walk the dog, etc. If we dont' have a separate space apart from our living space, we always have to maintain a presentable appearance for those parents who need to walk their child inside, (no dishes in sink). If the daycare children and your own children are together, it makes it a bit hard to get them ready for school and keep the daycare child busy. That 6-2 hr does sound a bit off, if drop off is at 6, means parent starts at 7 and pick up is at 4, if they are working local, then pick up could be 3:30. Stay firm with your hours and don't change.
Unregistered 01:39 PM 04-07-2011
I would take the kid but I would charge them extra. I have had families in the past with early drop offs and it was ok for me HOWEVER if someone from the referral agency said something like that I would find out who her boss is and kindly explain how it made you feel. I would remind her that the luxury of doing daycare is that you get to say no to anyone for any reason including hours so the fact that it didnt work was nothing she should have an opinion about.
Tags:lingering parents, parents - won't leave
Reply Up