Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age Do You Start A Sleeping Mat?
iheartkids 03:59 AM 09-07-2011
What age do you move the child from the packnplay to the sleeping mat. I have a 16 month old and contemplating this. The only thing is she does not ever stay asleep the whole time. She is very restless and is constantly up and down in the packnplay. So I'm afraid I will have a fight on my hands but she is really getting too big for it.
Cat Herder 04:14 AM 09-07-2011
I transition mine at 12 months. Once they can climb out/rock them/flip them over, they are done with PNP's, here.

It is not easy...

BUT I find that my littles who can't stand PNP's do much better on mats. They love being on the "big kids" side of the playroom alongside the rest of the group.

If they get up too often (other than diaper issues/bad dream, etc. to ward off unregistered. I am not heartless.) I move them back over to the PNP's (no eye contact/no talking)....so it does not happen too many times .

The main problem I have is "peek-a-boo", rolling around or talking. That is pretty short lived (and kindof cute/innocent), about 5 minutes, since the white noise music, box fans and me being boring/disinfecting toys two feet away tends to discourage it and puts them asleep really well.

All 6 of my DCK's are two and under.
childcarebytori 05:15 AM 09-07-2011
Mine transition from pack'n'plays when they are between 3 and 3.5yo. By that age, they are capable of staying on their mat for the duration of naptime without getting up and I don't worry about them bothering the younger ones who are still in pack'n'plays. Only exception is if they are over the weight limits on my pack'n'plays, then they get moved to a mat early with very close supervision.
laundrymom 05:40 AM 09-07-2011
13-15 mo. Never past 16-17 months.
laundrymom 05:41 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
Mine transition from pack'n'plays when they are between 3 and 3.5yo. By that age, they are capable of staying on their mat for the duration of naptime without getting up and I don't worry about them bothering the younger ones who are still in pack'n'plays. Only exception is if they are over the weight limits on my pack'n'plays, then they get moved to a mat early with very close supervision.
Wow. This surprises me. I couldn't imagine letting such an older child stay in a crib.
wdmmom 05:45 AM 09-07-2011
20-24 months unless they are big for their age.
Blackcat31 05:53 AM 09-07-2011
Really? Are the parents of these kids requesting their child to stay in a PNP? or is it just how you do this? I do not mean this harshly but as laundrymom said, I couldn't imagine a kid this age in a PNP.

Originally Posted by laundrymom:
13-15 mo. Never past 16-17 months.
This is the same rough guideline I follow as well. Some earlier and some later but about the 12-15 months range.
3kidzmama 05:54 AM 09-07-2011
Seriously?? I'm surprised they even fit in the pnp at that age.

I transition them to the mat at 16-18 mo.
SilverSabre25 05:59 AM 09-07-2011
Recently, I transitioned everyone in June. That's when I finally had bought cots and had them assembled. Everyone was just over two. I started thinking about it back in February when I had a 2 and an almost 2.

Honestly the transition was easy as pie--they never even blinked or looked back and their naps are wonderful and have been since day 1 on the cots. Granted, they were pretty darn good before that too. I don't have napping issues.
godiva83 06:07 AM 09-07-2011
To be honest the switch from PNP to mats scares me big time! Sure they will be easier to set up and store, but my little ones will be up and running around I fear. My guys are all about 18 months- so I know the switch will happen soon... Do you ladies have to remain in the sleep room at all times? I use my nap time to clean, have my own lunch break and am in and out of the sleep room, but always use a monitor
KEG123 06:16 AM 09-07-2011
I've only got one in a pnp and he does great in it, so I let sleeping toddlers lay.

I plan to transition him in November though, when he turns 2, and since I'm due in October, I'll need the pack n play for my newborn.
childcarebytori 06:24 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Wow. This surprises me. I couldn't imagine letting such an older child stay in a crib.
It's pretty average around my area.

For me, I refuse to participate in naptime troubles. I spend my naptime tending to the babies, eating my lunch, prepping for snack, writing daily reports and I don't want to be constantly running to the nap room when I see on my monitor that yet another child is up and playing. Parents don't have a choice on when I switch kids to mats. When I feel they are ready, I switch them. When I do finally switch them, I expect them to stay on they're mats, and take a nice solid nap.

Honestly, though, the children don't seem to mind. They cuddle up with their blanket and stuffed animal and snuggle in for a nice long nap
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
To be honest the switch from PNP to mats scares me big time! Sure they will be easier to set up and store, but my little ones will be up and running around I fear. My guys are all about 18 months- so I know the switch will happen soon... Do you ladies have to remain in the sleep room at all times? I use my nap time to clean, have my own lunch break and am in and out of the sleep room, but always use a monitor
I use my nap time for the same things. I am not required to stay in the same room while they sleep. I usually have 6-8 kids sleeping on cots/mats next to each other in one room and 2 who sleep separately in another room. I am usually in kitchen doing paper work, sanitizing and or web-surfing while they all sleep. I have a direct view of my kids in both rooms though at all times.
godiva83 08:06 AM 09-07-2011
Wow- okay, it has to be possible
OR... Anyone feel like a vacation to Ontario I can provideroom and board, you can do the transfer for me - oh I also would like a potty training guru to join! Simple wish list- any takers lol
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Wow- okay, it has to be possible
OR... Anyone feel like a vacation to Ontario I can provideroom and board, you can do the transfer for me - oh I also would like a potty training guru to join! Simple wish list- any takers lol
The only advice I can give is, remember that voice your mom or dad used so that you knew without a doubt that they meant business?

Find that and use it. I also find pairing it with your best "mean mommy" look works wonderful! If they think you are messing with them getting up and not cooperating makes it a game, but when I just say their name in that voice and give them "the look", they lay right back down and stay put.
laundrymom 09:14 AM 09-07-2011
Best advice,... Ever,.... Anywhere! Lol.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The only advice I can give is, remember that voice your mom or dad used so that you knew without a doubt that they meant business?

Find that and use it. I also find pairing it with your best "mean mommy" look works wonderful! If they think you are messing with them getting up and not cooperating makes it a game, but when I just say their name in that voice and give them "the look", they lay right back down and stay put.

MamaBear 09:26 AM 09-07-2011
I start at 12-16 months... depending on each child. Some are a little more mentally ready than the others
Crazy8 10:05 AM 09-07-2011
I generally transition by age 2 - usually about 18 months. Really depends on the child though.
newtodaycare22 10:11 AM 09-07-2011
Licensing requires us to transition from a Pack n play by age 2, unless there is a documented special need. Between ages 1 and 2, it's up to the parents whether they prefer a pack and play or nap mat.
nannyde 10:29 AM 09-07-2011
3.5-4 year old depending on the height of the child.

I use jmason play yards and they are 40 inches long. Once the kid is too long for the jmason they move onto the toddler bed.

http://www.fantasytoyland.com/elfacplayyar.html

They use that jmason from birth on so by the time they are three or four they have years in their own bed. We only switch them out of it once they have outgrown it in length. I only have one kid over 40 inches tall now.

When it's time to switch over to the bed or the one cot I have they don't like it. I have to EAZZZZZZZE them into the switch.

I have resorted to bribing... I must admit. I don't like tears or fears at nap time. So if they say they don't like it I offer our giant (two foot tall) Bugs Bunny pillow for them to sleep with for a few months.

http://www.marketworks.com/fullView....ilo_bugsy1.jpg
Holladee 10:49 AM 09-07-2011
Usually around age two unless they start attempting to climb out before that!
momma2girls 11:04 AM 09-07-2011
around the age of 2-2 1/2 whenever they are sleeping in a big girl or big boy bed at home, is when I start it here.
harperluu 11:08 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Haha! I was just going to say that I have a special "stay on your mat" voice that I use if and only if I have trouble with this. They would only hear it at that time and they know I mean business. I transition right around the age of 2 and it usually depends if I need space in my upstairs rooms for incoming infants/toddlers.
Unregistered 12:02 PM 09-07-2011
My state regs say 18 months but I have been waiting until there about 20 mos. Check your dc regs, they might be of some help.
MommyMuffin 12:28 PM 09-07-2011
Mine stay in the pnp until they can get out or until they arent comfortable in them.
WImom 01:02 PM 09-07-2011
I'm only licensed for 2y and up but they all sleep on the mats. I don't have any pnp's here. When I did care for the younger group at 18m I moved them.
mismatchedsocks 01:27 PM 09-07-2011
I transition them when they turn one. Unless they NEED to be in a pack and play for medical reasons. Nap time goes pretty smooth, and I find the younger I lay them down on cot, the better they listen and get used to NOT getting up. I too find my deep voice when its nap time, if they get up. I have a camera in there, so while I am doing nap time things I can see them.
Tags:mats, nap - supplies, naptime routine
Reply Up